PDA

View Full Version : cage biting

sonshine24
11-18-2011, 08:19 PM
my little girl has gotten into a habit of biting and shaking the cage. she does it whenever she wants to come out, but im worried shes going to hurt herself. sometimes she does it so violently that it wakes me up in the morning. i let her out a whole bunch during the day so she has plenty of time to run out her energy but there are times when i need to do things that require her to be in her cage, or when i go to bed. is there anything i can do to make her stop?

Skul
11-18-2011, 08:35 PM
If there are things you need to do, lock her up.
There really isn't anything that you can do, to stop her.
Naturally, if you're anything like the rest of us nuts, you'll relent and let her out.:rotfl

You might try moving the cage to a dark location where people or animals won't disturb her.

sonshine24
11-18-2011, 08:49 PM
yea i do let her out cause i feel bad, and shes in my room and i always close the door to make sure my crazy dogs dont come in. im just worried about her little teeth getting hurt.

Skul
11-18-2011, 09:12 PM
If available, put plenty of green (live) sticks in there for her to chew on.
I know you may feel guilty about restarining her, but, you really can not allow her to dictate to you.
As long as you provide good and proper care, there isn't an issue.
You da boss. You tell her.

muffinsquirrel
11-18-2011, 09:17 PM
As long as you continue to let her out when she bites and shakes her cage, she will continue to bite and shake her cage. She is getting what she wants, and is just proving what a good job she's done of training you. It will be really really hard to ignore her, and she knows it, but that is probably the only way you'll break her of it, .

Try covering her cage so it is more 'den-like'. You also might try using some Rescue Remedy on her.

muffinsquirrel

vickyjhnsn
11-18-2011, 11:08 PM
Why don't you try getting her on a schedule and stick to it like a child with a nap. Every day let her out at a certain time and at night, don't give in and keep her in until morning at a certain time. I think you get the point. I've done that with mine. They know that they can walk around if they are done eating and I let them wonder around for a while then they go back in. They really don't give me any problems. They know when its time to run around and when it is time to be in the cage. I have them on a pretty good schedule and I don't budge.

I don't know how old your baby is and if you already spoiled her to the point it might not work but mine are 7 weeks and I've been doing this since they were able to climb and it works. I've done it with all of them. My older ones (11 weeks have their own room and have run of the room) they are spoiled. I usually move them to that room at about nine weeks and the 12 week olds will go outside to be overwintered out there.

Its worth a try to give you some peace. It might be hard at first but if it is really driving you crazy it might work after some time and consistency.

Good luck.

Skul
11-18-2011, 11:40 PM
Vicky has a point I hadn't really considered.
Squirrels normally do run a sort of a scedule.
Might be well worth a try.
Xnks Vicky.

Mavrycs Mommy
11-18-2011, 11:59 PM
Mavryc did this as well (he even broke a cage bar) :shakehead but he only did it in one spot SO i wiped down the area that he chews on with the stuff you put on a baby's thumb to get them to stop sucking it (i cant remember the brand but i got it at walmart) it works WONDERS

sassysquirrel
11-19-2011, 01:52 AM
Sassy used to do this - I would give her Rescue Remedy - rub a little on her ears and feet - or put a drop on a piece of pecan = It worked for me

Jackie in Tampa
11-19-2011, 04:45 AM
As ugly as my homemade cages are, they are my favorite.
We use 1/2 x 1/2 hardware cloth for chewing reasons.
If you are using a bird cage, or wide bar spacing, this can be a problem.

Yes I agree with the advise you are getting, these peeps know...
however, do not allow it to continue.
Teeth trauma can be permanent...teeth are tools, without them, a sqs life and health are in jeopardy.

Covering the cage as Muffin said is what will help the most...jmo.
I keep blankets on my cage rooves...at night I cover them almost completely.
Enhance her cage and play things...yes fresh greenery if it's a chew/teeth issue and not bordom or being spoiled:D

I am a worrier...sorry...
:Love_Icon