PDA

View Full Version : Hello & please approve me! :)

smccollo
11-16-2011, 08:30 PM
I have been stalking the forums all evening and finally joined to access the ABC's section and am impatiently waiting to be approved so I can see all the other great info available!

Got my first squirrel Sunday evening with my hubby. Have rescued many birds but this is the first squirrel, named him Butters. Just ordered the FV formula. He is about 5 wks and doing great, but sleeping a lot :wave123

smccollo
11-16-2011, 08:35 PM
Also, I am in Clearwater FL!

Tickle's Mom
11-16-2011, 08:40 PM
:Welcome :Welcome

Lots of Florida peeps here! :thumbsup

How did Butters get his name?

cuteascnb
11-16-2011, 09:11 PM
Im kinda a newbie too...lol!:Welcome LOADS of great info on here and lots of people from FL!!! Im in belleview/ocala area! What kinda squirrely did u get!
I have 2 flyers:wahoo

smccollo
11-16-2011, 09:20 PM
Butters got his name just by happenchance, my hubby came in and say 'Hey there little Butters' and it just kind of stuck I guess! He's a grey, I believe about 5 wks old, except he is giving me mixed signals on his age. We found him on Sun eve, his eyes were open, but he is still very sleepy and does not take solid food well at all, tiny pieces of banana and grapes are about it. Loves is formula though! When we initially found him we called the closest rehab center we could find and never got a response so at this point we are taking care of him on our own and he is doing great. Would be nice to meet others in the area for a squirrel play date

chicklett43
11-16-2011, 09:37 PM
:Welcome There are so many GREAT people on here that can help you out with any question. Everyone is so helpful and full of great advice. Hope you enjoy it here as much as I have :D

fire-eyez
11-16-2011, 09:45 PM
:Welcome Glad to see we have another member from florida :D there are MANY AWESOME people on the this board with loads of information and who have lots of compassion and love for what they do :thumbsup

glad you came out from the shadows as a lurker :poke ...:D and as a lurker I am sure you have learned that we LOVE PICS

island rehabber
11-16-2011, 10:26 PM
So, you're gonna make me work overtime, smccollo? That's gonna cost you :D
Seriously, I usually grant access to approved new members first thing in the morning. But for YOU, we'll make an exception.....BRB :D

island rehabber
11-16-2011, 10:30 PM
ok, you're in :thumbsup.

smccollo
11-16-2011, 10:33 PM
You are my hero, IR! (You can clearly see I have been a lurker LOL) :D Ready to get started on my new reading :) Thanks again!

island rehabber
11-16-2011, 10:39 PM
:Welcome. Can't wait to see pix of Butters. And don't worry too much about solid foods when his eyes just opened; formula is still the most important thing. You'll want to get him started on a quality rodent block BEFORE giving him sweet stuff like banana. Get some Zupreem monkey biscuits, or Harlan Teklad 2018, or Kay-Tee Forti Diet Rats & Mice to leave in his bowl at all times. Later on (couple weeks) I would order some Henrys healthy Blocks (HHB's) growth formula and give him one or two per day. That's how we make a healthy, happy squirrel :D. Don't let him know right away what sweet stuff and nuts taste like: you will have a picky treat-eater on your hands and a world of aggravation, too.

smccollo
11-16-2011, 10:48 PM
Great, thank you! I wish we had a better supply of proper pet foods around me, haven't had much luck finding what I need but will continue looking for the rodent blocks. Pics will come tomorrow when my phone is fully charged :) Video too if I can figure that out!!

mpetys
11-16-2011, 11:14 PM
Hi smccollo! I am in Tampa now but my last residence was in Clearwater. Not the city but the unincorporated area off Roosevelt Blvd. I love Clearwater and miss it.

Can't wait to see pics of Butter! I use the Mazuri Rat & Mouse block, I think it says vegetarian blend on the bag. IR is right about holding off on the sweet stuff and nuts for awhile. With my latest group, I am holding to that and I am finding they are not as picky whereas my older non releasables dig through their bowls looking for their blueberry or their avocado first. Heaven help me if I don't have any. Have you seen a squirrel throw a temper tantrum? Not so much a temper tantrum but he just gives you this look of disgust like you are a big disappointment. Well, that is how my Charlie treats me!

smccollo
11-17-2011, 07:17 AM
mpetys, it is too bad you moved sounds like we would have been neighbors! I, too, am on the outskirts off of Roosevelt :crazy

island rehabber
11-17-2011, 08:18 AM
Yes -- Mazuri is good too. You can order the Zupreem and Mazuri products from christina clark, a rehabber and owner of Chris's Squirrels & More: www.squirrelsandmore.com. Shipping is pricey so order everything you need at once, if possible.

Pierre
11-17-2011, 08:57 AM
And craftyrat.com sells Harlan Teklad's really cheap in lots of sizes. :thumbsup

Jackie in Tampa
11-17-2011, 09:14 AM
:Welcome :wave123
I am in South Tampa!

smccollo
11-17-2011, 10:42 AM
Hello Jackie in Tampa, we are close then!

Nearing the end of his meal. So...sleepy....
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/378581_10100157089952574_30313898_42554109_9035882 7_n.jpg
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/308263_10100152140531254_30313898_42532965_1263496 540_n.jpg

Skul
11-17-2011, 11:18 AM
I think he got his name because he was mooning the ol man.:poke

cam
11-17-2011, 12:23 PM
:Welcome

Buttons looks adorable, i just love seeing pics of baby squirrels :Love_Icon

Sweet Simon's Mommy
11-17-2011, 03:18 PM
We need not only squirrel play dates:D for Florida
How about a squirrel rescue CONVENTION!!!!:crazy :flash3 :crazy:flash3 :crazy

Oh Yeah, venders, lectures the whole nine yards and It could be video taped, then all the peeps who have been on here forever can go on Ellen and tell the world about squirrels.

:thinking

oh but then people will be going out shaking the trees looking for one and wont take care of them properly, lets just stay are we are.:)

I am so glad I found you guys I feel like I have joined a really cool club .:jump

island rehabber
11-17-2011, 03:36 PM
We have them! Here's one of the threads from our 2011 Gathering of Nuts, JAX:
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26607&highlight=Gathering

:D

Mavrycs Mommy
11-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Butters got his name just by happenchance, my hubby came in and say 'Hey there little Butters' and it just kind of stuck I guess! He's a grey, I believe about 5 wks old, except he is giving me mixed signals on his age. We found him on Sun eve, his eyes were open, but he is still very sleepy and does not take solid food well at all, tiny pieces of banana and grapes are about it. Loves is formula though! When we initially found him we called the closest rehab center we could find and never got a response so at this point we are taking care of him on our own and he is doing great. Would be nice to meet others in the area for a squirrel play date

what a crazy random happenstance!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

cuteascnb
11-17-2011, 08:10 PM
are they held in florida??? I WOULD LOVE TO ATTEND THE NEXT ONE, and I also think that a public show of some sort is a great idea! There are alot of folks that need the education that this forum has to offer...We might be able to save more babies! non-squirrel People need to be educated that they are wild animals and need proper care and nutrition before they do think about shaking them out of a tree:poke ! I took Bandit to my work, I have a classroom of 20 4 & 5 year old children...we made a whole day (morning) out of it. The daycare is where I found my first baby flyer...the kids were AMAZED since they had never seen one! I didnt have the heart to tell them he didnt make it...so I told them he ran away:shakehead I didnt think it was my place to explain to them about death...lol! Any way Bandit loved it and the kids SAT FOR ALMOST AN HOUR!!! If you have ever been in a room full of 4 & 5 year olds you know that is AMAZING!!! They learned so much about them...and Bandit loved the attention. Since then they ask almost everyday when hes coming back! I wouldnt trust bringing Sadie cause she is so super hyper...lol! :wahoo !!!

But I think there needs to be more knowledge about them...hands on knowledge!

FUNDRAISER!!!! Who wouldnt want to come out and see a whole bunch of cute adorable fur balls???

$$$ could go to rehabbers and so on!

Brains over thinking things again...lol...

cam
11-18-2011, 11:50 AM
aww, i can just picture a class of 4/5 year olds sitting quietly watching the fuzz ball :D

i wish there were more people over here with squirrels

2ndHandRanchRescue
11-18-2011, 08:46 PM
Welcome!!!! This is such a great place to learn about our squirrels! But you know that - Butters - Southpark fan?
At my website below there's a link for all your needs, all from us TSBers - so many talented business folks here!

Thanks for rescuing and darn glad to meet ya!

http://www.2ndhandranch.com/links-for-rehab-suppliesshopping.html

Skul
11-18-2011, 09:18 PM
I kept trying to remember where I heard the name before.
It wasn't Southpark. (never cared for it)
Finally it dawned on me.
There was a cute ad for an insurance company that had a dog named Butters.

smccollo
11-19-2011, 09:25 AM
No, not a south park fan, and never saw the commercial, it just kinda fit. His full name is now the Butterfinger Bandit :)

2ndHandRanchRescue
11-19-2011, 09:54 AM
I love it! Butterfinger Bandit - yes, all creatures should have a full name!!! :D