PDA

View Full Version : meet Daisy & MoMo

justplainnutz
11-15-2011, 09:38 AM
I have some really cute pics of them, but don't know which thread to post them in. Is there a thread just for photos? If not, where's the best place to share them where the people who love photos will be most likely to see them???

PS: I don't know how it took me so long to find this site after months of online squirrel research, but I gotta tell ya, I'm loving it here! You guys are the most helpful squirrel site by a mile! Thanks all!

stepnstone
11-15-2011, 10:08 AM
:Welcome to TSB!
Did a little re-sizing for better viewing, here's a site I use if you don't have/know one: http://www.shrinkpictures.com
Cute lil'fuzz butts! :D Tell us a little about your babies... how you got them, how long, how old? How's their diet? We are all about squirrels here
so jump right in, ask any questions or concerns you may have.

cam
11-15-2011, 10:29 AM
:wave123 Welcome

I did loads of research into squirrels before i found this place too, it was only when i was searching about nutrition i stumbled on this forum and it has been so much help already :D

you can share as many pics on here as you like, we all love pics :jump

justplainnutz
11-15-2011, 02:15 PM
Thanks, Stepnstone, that looks MUCH better!

What is the best thread to post photos in?

I got my babies when they were 5 weeks old. Apparently their mama was killed by a car and they came down the tree and followed a friend of mine into his apartment. He kept trying to put them back in the tree and they kept crawling back to his door. He didn't know what to do with them and tried giving them food but they wouldn't eat. When I went over to his apartment complex all the neighborhood kids came running to me, saying "David-sir, come look what Gracie's daddy found!" I found them sleeping inside a pair of socks in a cardboard box in the windowsill of the stairwell. They were half frozen and starving. They'd been there about 3 days with nothing they could eat, no mama, nothing to protect them from the cold, and a couple dozen kids poking and peeking at them all day.

I brought them home, warmed them up, scoured the internet, rehydrated them with Pedialyte, and then started them on a formula of Esbilac & heavy cream that a vet friend recommended who has rehabbed many squirrels.

That was more than 6 months ago and they have been among the most amazing months of my life! As a kid, I dreamed of having a pet squirrel, but was always told that squirrels were too hyper and mean to befriend a human or survive in captivity. Boy were they wrong! My babies are far more adoring and affectionate than any cat I ever had. They romp and play all day and sit on my shoulder and lick my ears and style my beard with their teeth & tongues.

I have traveled all over the world doing volunteer work (with humans) but few experiences in my life can compare with the joy I've found raising these little stinkers. I thank God almost every day for the miracle he's allowed me to experience with these amazing little friends.

I know I can't keep them forever, but I'm so afraid they'll get run off by other squirrels and not survive the winter without me, so I've decided to keep them at least till spring.

Here are some pics:

Adoption day:

...a few weeks later...

Rhapsody
11-15-2011, 02:24 PM
I love it when they decide to play with the face...... watch the EYES - lol :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

astra
11-15-2011, 02:28 PM
Thanks, Stepnstone, that looks MUCH better!

What is the best thread to post photos in?

I got my babies when they were 5 weeks old. Apparently their mama was killed by a car and they came down the tree and followed a friend of mine into his apartment. He kept trying to put them back in the tree and they kept crawling back to his door. He didn't know what to do with them and tried giving them food but they wouldn't eat. When I went over to his apartment complex all the neighborhood kids came running to me, saying "David-sir, come look what Gracie's daddy found!" I found them sleeping inside a pair of socks in a cardboard box in the windowsill of the stairwell. They were half frozen and starving. They'd been there about 3 days with nothing they could eat, no mama, nothing to protect them from the cold, and a couple dozen kids poking and peeking at them all day.

I brought them home, warmed them up, scoured the internet, rehydrated them with Pedialyte, and then started them on a formula of Esbilac & heavy cream that a vet friend recommended who has rehabbed many squirrels.

That was more than 6 months ago and they have been among the most amazing months of my life! As a kid, I dreamed of having a pet squirrel, but was always told that squirrels were too hyper and mean to befriend a human or survive in captivity. Boy were they wrong! My babies are far more adoring and affectionate than any cat I ever had. They romp and play all day and sit on my shoulder and lick my ears and style my beard with their teeth & tongues.

I have traveled all over the world doing volunteer work (with humans) but few experiences in my life can compare with the joy I've found raising these little stinkers. I thank God almost every day for the miracle he's allowed me to experience with these amazing little friends.

I know I can't keep them forever, but I'm so afraid they'll get run off by other squirrels and not survive the winter without me, so I've decided to keep them at least till spring.

Here are some pics:

Adoption day:

...a few weeks later...
:Welcome oh, you are so right! - - there is some magic about squirrels that no other animal seems to match (and I have always been a dog person)

They look great and fun (just watch that face:D )

You can start a thread for them either in The Nursery forumhttp://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=144 , or Grey Squirrel forum which can be found in Breed Specific, Pet squirrels...-->Breed specific ---> Grey Squirrels http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5

But The Nursery might be more suitable since they are still babies, sort of

And you must have already seen it, but do check out The Squirrel Nutrition forum http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=191 - the right nutrition is crucial for captive (=overwintered) squirrels

justplainnutz
11-15-2011, 02:53 PM
Then:

Now:

stepnstone
11-15-2011, 03:02 PM
Beautiful little greys, love the face shot! :D
So glad those children showed them to you and thank you for rescueing them. :thumbsup Yes, I'd say you definitly been bitten by squirrel love!:Love_Icon
Please do check our nutrition forum... It is vital to the health and well being of these babies once weaned that they start eating a good rodent block. They would be at a major risk of MBD without the proper nutrition that rodent block provides for "captive" squirrels.

stepnstone
11-15-2011, 04:38 PM
Couldn't help but notice the (Orb) in your "face" picture with the two babies.
I have a spiritual belief about orbs, I had to look...
Before pic just cropped and enlarged, After pic cropped, enlarged and shaded.

So what you think? Could momma be watching...

justplainnutz
11-15-2011, 10:57 PM
orbs? mama? :thinking huh? I don't know what you're seeing, but I'm seeing water spots on my lens that show up when the light comes from the side.

stepnstone
11-16-2011, 02:03 AM
...I see dead people! ...thanks for blowing that theroy. :jump

Tickle's Mom
11-16-2011, 08:04 AM
...I see dead people! ...thanks for blowing that theroy. :jump

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

patjones
11-16-2011, 07:50 PM
I have a friend who takes pictures in haunted places and gets orbs all the time. I thought they were lens flair at first but I am not so sure now

Skul
11-17-2011, 11:22 AM
Couldn't help but notice the (Orb) in your "face" picture with the two babies.
I have a spiritual belief about orbs, I had to look...
Before pic just cropped and enlarged, After pic cropped, enlarged and shaded.

So what you think? Could momma be watching...
I think someone needs to brush a piece of dust off the lens. :rotfl

stepnstone
11-17-2011, 12:17 PM
I think someone needs to brush a piece of dust off the lens. :rotfl

Not to keep thread jacking :hidechair but...
Was at a friend's house once and without her knowing took a picture of her gigantic fireplace with all these wonderful oil paintings surrounding it.
I was disappointed at first to discover a big orb disfiguring one of the pics but when I enlarged the orb it clearly showed very detailed the face of a man wearing a hat. When I showed the friend the picture, she broke down crying... She said the image was clearly her (deceased) father, he always wore a fedora, and he was the one who had painted all the pictures surrounding the fireplace.

Although GH of taps would agree with you that it's merely "dust", beauty is always in the eye of the beholder...

2ndHandRanchRescue
11-18-2011, 08:28 PM
:Welcome
Love the photos and glad you found this. This is the place to learn squirrel nutrition! I'm a rehabber and learn every visit!!