PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of Pocket Pets?

Sam and Clio 2
11-15-2011, 02:23 AM
A friend of mine knew I was owned by a SFS previously and wanted to know if I had ever heard of an organization called Pocket Pets that were selling sugar babies (I'm guessing sugar gliders). Evidently they deliver the critters instead of shipping. The critter, cage, a good supply of food, and a few other things will evidently cost her $500 or so. She's extremely interested and they seem reputable to her with all the information they have given her to help her be sure that she's prepared for the responsibility, but wanted my opinion. I honestly have never really heard of them before and said I'd ask y'all. So anyone have any idea? Help would be great appreciated. :thankyou :peace

Mochi&Mocha
11-15-2011, 06:02 AM
I've heard of them before. Ever 6 months they set up a little show at the mall :) Cute little things. Luckily I'm always broke or I would have way to many by now :rotfl. I would trust them. They always have an abundant amount of information, there employees are well trained and informed, and they do what's best for the sugar gliders. When I say that I mean they won't just sell you a baby. You have to buy a cage and food and etc from them so that they know 1. your dedicated to the little one (that's a lot of money to be spending if your not dedicated!) 2. the baby is getting the right food and 3. you have a proper cage for them. They also try and get people to buy them in pairs so that they have a mate.

Anyways, I think you can trust them. Hopefully someone who has experience buying them will comment as well.

pappy1264
11-15-2011, 06:13 AM
DO NOT ORDER FROM THEM!!!!! They are mill breeders, many have gotten babies from them that were sick, and many died within hours of them getting them (and btw, your contract states you GET NO MONIES BACK....THERE IS NO HEALTH GUARANTEE!) They overcharge for gliders and the advice they tell you is ALL WRONG! If you get a glider from them, you will get a 'special code' to get in their site....unless/until your baby dies and then you tell them....guess what, you code no longer works and you will not be able to reach them. I have spoken to so many that have suffered because they did not know better. If you want to read about them, google GLIDER CENTRAL. I have gone toe to toe with them. If you are in a mall (they used to do home/trade shows, may still do some), and you try to warn others, they will have the police excort you out. Please, if you friend wants a glider, I can help her find one. Have her contact me, my email is in my contact info. Tell her, please do NOT use them. Thousands of gliders die every year because of them. They are a money making machine that only cares about their bottom line. I have 24 gliders, almost every one of them is a rescue, some have come from these people and they were in awful shape (because of what the people were told to do and feed. And mean......I can't remember one person getting one from them that was used to handling.

Tickle's Mom
11-15-2011, 07:50 AM
DO NOT ORDER FROM THEM!!!!! They are mill breeders, many have gotten babies from them that were sick, and many died within hours of them getting them (and btw, your contract states you GET NO MONIES BACK....THERE IS NO HEALTH GUARANTEE!) They overcharge for gliders and the advice they tell you is ALL WRONG! If you get a glider from them, you will get a 'special code' to get in their site....unless/until your baby dies and then you tell them....guess what, you code no longer works and you will not be able to reach them. I have spoken to so many that have suffered because they did not know better. If you want to read about them, google GLIDER CENTRAL. I have gone toe to toe with them. If you are in a mall (they used to do home/trade shows, may still do some), and you try to warn others, they will have the police excort you out. Please, if you friend wants a glider, I can help her find one. Have her contact me, my email is in my contact info. Tell her, please do NOT use them. Thousands of gliders die every year because of them. They are a money making machine that only cares about their bottom line. I have 24 gliders, almost every one of them is a rescue, some have come from these people and they were in awful shape (because of what the people were told to do and feed. And mean......I can't remember one person getting one from them that was used to handling.

:goodpost

fire-eyez
11-15-2011, 08:01 AM
Do not biuy from then like pappy said they are mill breeders they do not keep there lineage of gliders, many are inbreed. They are mostly sick they have them on pellet diet which Is a huge :nono they put them on leashes That could snap there neck. They are over price the cage they come with in this so called package is way to small. A huge red flag is they also sell a heating rock hello it Is not even advised to have lizards on a heating pad....they are horrible horrible horrible they give wrong information not knowledgeable at all.....so sad

fire-eyez
11-15-2011, 08:04 AM
Do not buy from them like pappy said they are mill breeders they do not keep there lineage of gliders, many are inbreed. They are mostly sick they have them on pellet diet which Is a huge :nono they put them on leashes That could snap there neck. They are over price the cage they come with in this so called package is way to small. A huge red flag is they also sell a heating rock hello it Is not even advised to have lizards on a heating pad....they are horrible horrible horrible they give wrong information not knowledgeable at all.....so sad

Sweet Simon's Mommy
11-15-2011, 08:07 AM
My son looked into sugar gliders a few years ago.

He did a lot of reading about them before he got them and he got his from Craigs list two little boys , cage food beds toys everything for $200.
There is always someone who doesn't want them any more too much work or just bored with them and needs a new home.

When he had to leave the country for his job, he made sure they went to another very good home . A friend of his that was very into them and knew them and they knew him so it was good all a round.

I baby-sat them serval times for him, really enjoyed them.

Take on ones that will be discarded or put out to fend for themselves.

Mochi&Mocha
11-15-2011, 09:07 AM
Well I'm glad people with more experience stepped in! I would have never known that they were like that.

littlebeky
11-15-2011, 11:41 AM
Ugh, I'm glad I checked this thread out. I always got so terribly angry when I saw them set up at our local mall. Without even knowing their background history (mill breeding etc). Just because there would be these workers handling these poor, scared little bubs and shoving them into their pockets to show loud crowds how 'easy' they are. Whenever anything is touted as EASY and is a living creature, at a mall especially, I just see people who don't know what they're doing taking these lives into their hands...only to realize they ARE work, as is any animal...and then wanting to get rid of them. Passing them off to anyone. Or even, just releasing them outside. UGH Sorry....that's my rant..oops.

Yes, I agree. Get in touch with Pappy, or check CL. Funny, on CL my mum found an ad for 'honey bears' and she was confused, assumed they were kinkajous and was concerned. Turned out the person meant 'sugar babies', as in gliders! Oops!

fire-eyez
11-15-2011, 12:02 PM
any time you hear a person refer sugar gliders as sugar bears, honey bears, etc it is usually beacuse they bough it from PP.....and then they try and sell it for like 700 for the crappy useless stuff that came in the "package" deal and wonder why they can not get their money back....who in their right mind will spend 500! when you can get them on CL for 200 and you are getting two....those guys make me so :soapbox :devil

mpetys
11-15-2011, 12:51 PM
Well I'm glad people with more experience stepped in! I would have never known that they were like that.

We all learn something new everyday! I never heard of them before and had no idea that they set up selling shows in malls!

AND I learned that Mary has 24 sugar gliders! Mary you never cease to surprise me!

fire-eyez
11-15-2011, 01:11 PM
Where are you located pappy1264

Sweet Simon's Mommy
11-15-2011, 08:18 PM
It is so sad that people capitalize on little helpless creatures.

pappy1264
11-15-2011, 08:45 PM
Yes, it is. Sugar gliders have a very hard time adjusting to rehoming. They stress very easily. Although I certainly never set out to have that many, I made a promise to every one of them, this is their FOREVER HOME.....most have come to love, trust and be very friendly, but I have a couple that would much rather not have to deal with me more than needed (unless I have a mealie in my hand....lol), but that is ok. I love them all and let them be who they are. There are so many looking for homes, it is really sad. People get them, then the 'newness' wears off, and they suddenly 'don't have the time.' Makes me crazy!! Think before you take ANY animal into your home. You don't say 'I don't have time for my kids, better put them on CL.' Sorry, stepping off my soapbox now...

Sweet Simon's Mommy
11-15-2011, 08:49 PM
No Pappy Get on Stage and Sing IT!!!!!!!!!

cuteascnb
11-15-2011, 08:56 PM
PLEASE READ THIS ARTICLE AND VIDEO ON THEM!!!

http://www.wtsp.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=144678

pappy1264
11-15-2011, 09:42 PM
I have seen this before, actually know Erin from the glider community. It is bad. And they don't care.

Sam and Clio 2
11-15-2011, 11:28 PM
Thank you all so much for the advice! This will really help my friend out. She loves animals and I honestly believe she's up to giving a great home to a couple of suggies once she's given the correct information. Pappy thanks for offering to help her, I'm giving her your email address and will tell her to get in contact with you. Her name is Kim Petri just to let ya know.

:goodpost everybody!!!!

:jump :jump :flash3 :jump :jump :thankyou :thankyou :thankyou :thankyou :peace

Keta
11-21-2011, 03:50 PM
Hi all, I'm new here, but couldn't help but notice this thread about PPP. I would like to encourage anyone who sees or hears of these people selling at your local malls, flea markets, trade shows to please contact me ASAP. I will provide you with specific instructions on what you can do to help us with our goals. My name is Linda Sardou and I am the Director/Founder of the Mill Breeder/Broker Project. Our goal is to work towards putting an end to these types of people selling at public venues.

If you have questions or concerns please don't hesitate to email me at
director@millbreederproject.com or visit our web site at http://www.millbreederproject.com

Thank you.
LSardou
Director/Mill Breeder Project

pappy1264
11-21-2011, 04:16 PM
Hi Linda! Coming over to the darker side, eh? LOL Linda and many others are working tirelessly to try to end the sale of gliders through these glider mills. They do great work! Good to see you!

Keta
11-22-2011, 04:27 PM
Hey Mary, It's great to see you too! I sure have missed you, girl! Things just aren't the same anymore on the Glider Boards. Times Change, People Change, and Move On.

Will be popping in to check out all the helpful information about these babies too.

Hope you and all your little ones are doing well.