PDA

View Full Version : My Squirrel Will Not Eat Rodent Block

CatH
11-08-2011, 12:26 PM
Everything I read says to make the diet of a Gray Squirrel 90% rodent block. My squirrel won't touch the stuff. He even throws it out of his cage! It's been weeks. He is currently eating Diamond gluten free dog food for puppies. What can I feed him in place of the rodent block?

island rehabber
11-08-2011, 12:38 PM
I think 75-80% block is more practical and do-able....have you tried all these:

Harlan - Teklad 2018
Zupreem Monkey Biscuit
Mazuri Rodent Block
Kay-tee Forti Diet (blue bag) for Rats & Mice
Henry's Healthy Blocks - Picky Blocks
Henry's Healthy Blocks - Adult Formula

You can usually get them to eat one or more varieties -- offering more than one type helps because squirrels get bored with their food SO easily....I think they invented the concept of ADD.....:D

PDXErik
11-08-2011, 12:55 PM
1 HHB cut into handleable pieces, maybe 1cm x 1cm

a teaspoon of vanilla yogurt

mix to coat the HHB

Yogurt seems to make everything go down.

CatH
11-08-2011, 01:17 PM
I purchased the Henrys Blocks at $20 a small bag. They molded within a week and were sealed airtight! I'll try the zupreem next.

fire-eyez
11-08-2011, 01:35 PM
I purchased the Henrys Blocks at $20 a small bag. They molded within a week and were sealed airtight! I'll try the zupreem next.

Did you refrigerate the bag? It needs to be refrigerated

fire-eyez
11-08-2011, 01:36 PM
Everything I read says to make the diet of a Gray Squirrel 90% rodent block. My squirrel won't touch the stuff. He even throws it out of his cage! It's been weeks. He is currently eating Diamond gluten free dog food for puppies. What can I feed him in place of the rodent block?

I don't think it Is healthy for you to feed him dog food....hopefully the experts will confirm whether it is appropriate or not

CatH
11-08-2011, 01:44 PM
Yeah, I'm not comfortable with the dog food (even though it is gluten/wheat free). That's why I needed the expert advice on this board.

I did not refrigerate the Henrys Blocks! I didn't know to do this!!! I feel ridiculous now.

I have just ordered zupreem primate chow and it should be here in 2 days. So thank you everyone for the tips.

The list of other foods and the yogurt tip are going to help, I just know it!

Scooterzmom
11-08-2011, 01:55 PM
They will keep REFRIGERATED for a week - but if you want them to last longer (like a month) then it's best to freeze them. My guys do love them fresh out of the freezer.

Pierre
11-08-2011, 05:23 PM
You can also try Boo Balls with the harlan teklads. Most squirrels love them and they are made of harlan taklads rat block and fox valley formula.

http://www.thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28096&highlight=balls

SquirrelPower
11-08-2011, 08:31 PM
I bought some rodent block, it was $5 for 2 pounds, but I noticed the main ingredient was soybean meal. I already know from experience, my little buddy does not care for soybeans. It has lots of other good stuff in it, apparently, listed in the ingredients, but what good is it if she won't eat it? I am trying to mash it up and mix it with other tasty things, but she STILL is not too interested in it. I mixed the crushed block with peanut butter, almonds, walnuts, I will try that tomorrow. Not the sort of thing you're gonna make much money selling.

fire-eyez
11-08-2011, 11:14 PM
take away all nuts, treats, etc only offer rodent block it could be that your squirrels know that they do not need to eat the rodent block because there are alternatives!......tough love goes a long way and if that is the case from saving your baby from mbd or other challenges I say start the tough love:thumbsup ....it is the same thing with dogs you give a dog wet food they end up turning their nose to their dry food....the only way to get them to take the dry agin is to only offer the dry....

Pierre
11-09-2011, 06:29 AM
I bought some rodent block, it was $5 for 2 pounds, but I noticed the main ingredient was soybean meal. I already know from experience, my little buddy does not care for soybeans. It has lots of other good stuff in it, apparently, listed in the ingredients, but what good is it if she won't eat it? I am trying to mash it up and mix it with other tasty things, but she STILL is not too interested in it. I mixed the crushed block with peanut butter, almonds, walnuts, I will try that tomorrow. Not the sort of thing you're gonna make much money selling.

Go to craftyrat.com and get some harlan teklads. They're not made with soy. Really inexpensive too! :thumbsup They make the best boo balls!

CatH
11-09-2011, 09:48 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies. I do want to clear one thing up tho'.

My squirrel LOVED the Henry's Blocks. I failed when I didn't read the entire package and didn't refrigerate the blocks. So I am the reason they spoiled. The product was fantastic and I have ordered a new batch. Time for round two!

Henry's customer service has been fantastic!

Talzhemir
11-12-2011, 04:27 AM
This might sound strange but... did you try nibbling it yourself? Squirrels learn by watching others.

Unfortunately, Zupreem does have the texture of your typical barbecue grill "lava rock", but if you pretend to nibble it, and then scratch a dry piece with your fingernails, hinting that it also makes very satisfying gnawing, you'll get the idea across.

After milk, a baby squirrel gets regurgitated food- chewed up and spit back out by Mama. You won't need to go *that* far. x_smile

Science News: Squirrels learn by observing other squirrels.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/07/090728102303.htm