PDA

View Full Version : Thor!

PDXErik
11-08-2011, 11:54 AM
I'm not new, but Thor is.

I'd post a newer picture, but all I have is grey blurs (seriously). This is an old pic that was emailed to me.

I'm going to Home despot for hardware cloth and will start modifying his new enclosure, with any luck it'll be done today.

He is lightning fast. What he lacks in size, he makes up for in jumping and running.

He also is quite certain that this is HIS turf and, for now, I am nothing more than a treat dispensary and I should remember my place. I think he was even trying to pee on me earlier lol. He stands at the door of his hanging nest, and lunges out, jumping at me, showing that he is fearless and I should be wary of his prowess.

He is taking treats in a calmer manner now, though, that's a huge step from the "He happened to grab the treat instead of my finger" method we were using. However, seeing him with my finger in one of his hands, desperately trying to pull it to his mouth for a well-deserved bite is pretty damn funny.

It's kind of difficult not to over treat, though. I'm doing a mix of different dried fruits and pet store yogurt drop things, so it's kind of a healthy treat, anyway.

Pics of his new enclosure soon. I'm hoping that a new enclosure with some of his old toys and familiarity will mix him up a little bit and open his mind to new ideas. I had thought that perhaps just changing everything, getting rid of the old stuff, would be better, but that might mess with his mind too much (ideas on this from more experienced flyer keepers?).

JLM27
11-08-2011, 12:34 PM
Is Thor an Eastern Gray squirrel? He looks pretty darn cute! How old is he?

island rehabber
11-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Congratulations, Erik! Adorable little flyer, he is!:thumbsup

PDXErik
11-08-2011, 12:51 PM
Is Thor an Eastern Gray squirrel? He looks pretty darn cute! How old is he?

Thor is a Southern Flying Squirrel practicing to be a bolt of lightning.

I don't know exactly how old he is, but he's at least a year. He's definitely adult.

Pierre
11-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Oh, we need a movie then to get the full feel of Thor!! Get filming! :D

Congrats! He's adorable. :grouphug

pappy1264
11-08-2011, 06:11 PM
Get rid of the yoggies, too much sugar. I would hold back on too many 'treats', let him just settle in, get used to his surroundings, his new 'life'. If you give him a 'treat', use an in shell nut (hazelnuts, pecans, even walnuts or hickory nuts, which take them a while to get to the good stuff and is good for keeping those teeth is shape!) I actually would not be having him out of his cage (I don't know if you are, just saying) until you have a bit of a bond with him. He is not a baby, so bonding will take a while longer, but can and will happen. Again, just talk to him. Right now you are a stranger, you can't blame him for being scared of you. Def. get waxworms!!! Haven't met a flyer yet that didn't love them (and I have 5!) Also, dried fruit...a no-no. They are not huge fruit eaters, although they can have some (but only the 'real thing'...again, too much sugar.) You can offer full fat yogurt (not all flyers will eat it, esp. if they are not used to it, but keep trying.) They are much different then tree and ground squirrels in regards to diet. Need much more meat protein to be healthy.

PDXErik
11-08-2011, 06:27 PM
Thanks, Pappy and gs1.

Ok, gone are the fruits and yogurt crap.

I actually have waxworms for my leopard gecko, chicken breast is easy.

Sorry to ring the alarm bells. I do have Henry's flyer blocks on the way, I'll replace the HHB's I have with those once they get here.

He was totally left alone, no treats, no poking, no anything for the first full day and night he was here, so don't be too freaked out. Mega sugar intake was fairly modest, so it'll stop there.

RamaMama
11-08-2011, 07:05 PM
HOORAY for Thor and PDXErik ! ! ! :grouphug :thumbsup :wott :grouphug

Can't wait to hear more and esp. see more pix.

Here's hoping Thor will calm into a real softy boy.:jump

stosh2010
11-08-2011, 07:12 PM
MORE.......PIX.....
Thor is Muy Guapo....

PDXErik
11-08-2011, 07:14 PM
Ok. So back. Now taking waxworms from fingers, even being careful when he does!

So gross watching him eat those. Just about barfed the first time.

gs1
11-08-2011, 07:24 PM
Ok. So back. Now taking waxworms from fingers, even being careful when he does!

So gross watching him eat those. Just about barfed the first time.

:rotfl

welcome to the world of flyers ... ultra cute and ultra gross at the same time... just wait till he wants to eat those in your hair and the little pieces fall down your shirt.... :rotfl video please ...of you doing the 'omg...this is gross dance...':rotfl

(thanks pappy:thumbsup )

island rehabber
11-08-2011, 10:48 PM
SquirrelPower, I'm moving your thread over to the right forum, ok? won't hurt a bit....:D
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?p=700772#post700772

PDXErik
11-08-2011, 10:53 PM
just wait till he wants to eat those in your hair and the little pieces fall down your shirt

No. just No. He'll have bugs all he likes, not on me, though. Nuts, sure. Bug drippings? no.

Thanks, IR

oliviahood
11-08-2011, 10:57 PM
Laughing out loud at your post Erik!

I am so glad to see that he could be "nice" about the waxworms. He's definitely got an attitude!

gs1
11-09-2011, 12:49 AM
MRS SKUL PLEASE GO TO THIS THREAD AND YOUR PMS ARE FULL

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31559

admin please delete in morning :)

PDXErik
11-09-2011, 07:32 PM
Oh, boy, is this a PITA.

The cut edges are dulled with a honing stone (whett stone if you're so inclined). Then, it is "sewn" on with bailing wire.

The bottom next, then the top and base. The doors are worse, they need tiny wire to get it on because the clearances are so small.

I know it looks like there's a gap, but none of it pulls away more than 1/4" and it's tight doing that.

PDXErik
11-09-2011, 07:49 PM
I still have questions about territory and disposition.

When keeping fish, like African cichlids, when you add a new fish, you do it at the same time you clean, move everything around, change their environment, and it distracts them from being as territorial and picking on the new guy.

Would a complete change of environment do this for Thor, or would it just screw with his head too much?

gs1
11-09-2011, 07:51 PM
???? what are you changing?? you are making a new cage for him....

are you changing his room etc....

maybe you could go slow?

sorry erik i'm a bit confused....:D

PDXErik
11-09-2011, 08:13 PM
???? what are you changing?? you are making a new cage for him....

are you changing his room etc....

maybe you could go slow?

sorry erik i'm a bit confused....:D

Well, he just moved to Portland from Bend, for one. I have this big, beautiful cage I'm modifying with 1/2" hardware cloth.

He'd be in the same room, but he's only been here for 3 days, so I'm sure he's not quite used to it yet.

He's still got his familiar nest, box, toys, etc, though. Would it help him acclimate to new surroundings by changing this? New nest, box, toys, etc. Or would it confuse him too much.

The new cage isn't going to be ready for a few days, it's a lot more work than I thought it was going to be.

gs1 had a good idea. Perhaps this thread is more appropriate in the Flyer forum I just found. Could admin move it? TIA

gs1
11-09-2011, 08:33 PM
erik i answered in bold to save time... :)

Well, he just moved to Portland from Bend, for one. yes, huge, huge change... i'm surprized he hasn't had a nervous breakdown... i don't think that flyers adjust well to having a new parent....

I have this big, beautiful cage I'm modifying with 1/2" hardware cloth.

He'd be in the same room, but he's only been here for 3 days, so I'm sure he's not quite used to it yet.

He's still got his familiar nest, box, toys, etc, though. Would it help him acclimate to new surroundings by changing this? New nest, box, toys, etc. Or would it confuse him too much.

lol....:poke why would it help him to change his things??? you're over thinking this.... omg... you'd confuse me too ... :poke

i think that you are thinking that if you are introducing 2 animals you'd introduce them in a neutral area etc... but you are not introducing thor to another flyer??? are you???

The new cage isn't going to be ready for a few days, it's a lot more work than I thought it was going to be.better safe than sorry .... you need to work with it a lot to make sure there's no sharp bits etc.....

i'm curious what was his cage before and where is it??? what's he in now??? he might need some transition time in the new cage if he's going from small to ultra large but if you put the old cage inside the new cage (depending on size) and making sure there's nothing to harm him ..sharp bits on outside etc...then he can adjust at his own pace....

gs1 had a good idea. Perhaps this thread is more appropriate in the Flyer forum I just found. Could admin move it? TIAonly if you're really, really nice to them ...but you'll have to ask....:D

:D

gs1
11-09-2011, 09:46 PM
:poke mail box full!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PDXErik
11-09-2011, 09:56 PM
:poke mail box full!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol ok not now

PDXErik
11-10-2011, 03:51 AM
I've started a thread in the flyer section for those who are watching Thor

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31587

he's doing damn great, Olivia. Never fear. He's got a pretty strong character.

Pointy Tale
11-10-2011, 04:44 PM
PDXErik—what a fabulous intro…Thor is one lucky little one. :)