PDA

View Full Version : injured tail?!

Mavrycs Mommy
11-06-2011, 01:27 AM
i think something may be wrong with Mavrycs tail... the tip just kind of hangs there.... it looks like it normally does when he curls it but he used to straighten it out occasionally now when the rest of his tail is straight the tip is still curled and when he lays his tail straight out against his back the tip is always hanging off to the side it seems..... could he have broken his tail!? or am i just being silly?! if it is broken how can i tell?

djarenspace9
11-06-2011, 08:47 AM
Can you post a picture?

It could be broken.
Their tail is designed to deglove if something catches the tip,
so that's a pretty common squirrel injury.
Not life-threatening and most of the time the squirrel is not as upset about it as we are! :D

DipityDane
11-06-2011, 12:27 PM
It does sound possibly broken....or could the tip be degloved partially? I had a little girl this season who got an infection in the very tip of her tail....eventually she lost it but you can hardly tell now :)

Mavrycs Mommy
11-06-2011, 06:55 PM
its not degloved... is it possible its just hurt and not broken?! because it seems like hes keeping it tilted to one side, like maybe it feels better that way or something?

i dont want his tail to fall off :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

DipityDane
11-06-2011, 06:58 PM
If you touch the tip does it just flop and hang? If so it's a likely chance it is broken. If it seems solid or there is swelling it may just be injured...

Mavrycs Mommy
11-06-2011, 07:10 PM
it stays normal but he still keeps it to the side if that makes sense? i do think it may be a little swollen (i think he may have been moving the tip a little today as well im not 100% sure though it was so fast).... should i just wait it out or should i do something?! he doesn't act at all like hes in pain

CritterMom
11-06-2011, 07:16 PM
There isn't much to do with tails. It sounds as though perhaps he got it caught and sort of sprained it - they are so long and can get caught between cage bars. If the tip is not hanging and flopping - if he can still control it - I bet it will be fine.

DipityDane
11-06-2011, 07:17 PM
I would say it is possible that he either has an injury or abscess with swelling that is displacing the vertebra making for a bent tail....not a guarantee but if it were broken it would be a good chance it would be limp and just kinda floppy. I would watch it close for signs of infection like increased swelling and heat.....if these things happen....or you dont see some sort of improvement soon, a vet visit is surely in order.

Mavrycs Mommy
11-06-2011, 07:25 PM
okay thanks! i will keep an eye on it and keep you guys posted

Tara
11-06-2011, 08:30 PM
Not sure about what's going on with yours, but :( I Personally (but accidentally) degloved part of my Big Girls tail. She kept flicking it for a day or so, after that, she was fine. The bone eventually fell off-no problems.
I was devastated. She was fine. It doesn't grow back, but the fur grows back in, and it was more white and beautiful at the tip! She was also easier to spot when released. :)
I hope it's something as simple as that with your case...INFECTION is scary. Please watch out.
I'm not a licensed rehabber, and I depend on TSB for help...but dippitydane's suggestion sounds like it could be serious. Keep watch for sure!