PDA

View Full Version : Mochi,Mocha,&Coconut!

Mochi&Mocha
11-01-2011, 10:44 AM
Hello :) I have been using this board for awhile now but haven't gotten a chance to introduce myself and my lovely squirrels! I have 2 greys and 1 flyer.

-Mochi is the oldest grey. She is about 3 1/2 months old (My cat brought her in the house in August).

-Mocha is the middle child (also grey) and is about 2 months old (My mom's friend cut down a tree in September).

-Coconut (my flyer) is my youngest and is around a month old (I just picked her up last week from a friend who found her.)

They are all girls and hold a very special place in my heart! Mochi will be released in the Spring but Mocha is non releasable. Coconut will probably be kept also because she has no brothers or sisters to be released with.

I will post pictures soon :)

gs1
11-01-2011, 11:02 AM
i'm so glad you're in florida ...squirrels are legal there...and you've got the largest number of tsb members.... :thumbsup

as for the squirrels... would you consider getting another female to keep mocha and coconut company?

also since you are releasing mochi ... maybe another squirrel so that they can be released together?

can't wait to hear more of them....

love the names.....

:D :thumbsup

Mochi&Mocha
11-01-2011, 10:53 PM
Meet Mochi!

gs1
11-01-2011, 11:37 PM
mochi!!! you're a flying squirrel...love that tummy!!!!:D :rotfl :Love_Icon

Mochi&Mocha
11-01-2011, 11:47 PM
Meet Mocha!

Mochi&Mocha
11-01-2011, 11:49 PM
And meet Coconut!

Mochi&Mocha
11-01-2011, 11:58 PM
i'm so glad you're in florida ...squirrels are legal there...and you've got the largest number of tsb members.... :thumbsup

as for the squirrels... would you consider getting another female to keep mocha and coconut company?

also since you are releasing mochi ... maybe another squirrel so that they can be released together?

can't wait to hear more of them....

love the names.....

:D :thumbsup

I've thought about getting another squirrel for Mocha but I'm starting to think it may be too late for that. She's getting older and I know it's difficult to introduce greys to each other after their eyes are open. I wish Mochi and Mocha would get along :/ I love them both to death. It kills me thinking I have to give up Mochi in the Spring but I know it's what is best. And Mochi does not like other squirrels :/ As soon as she saw me look in Mocha's direction (when I first brought her home) she got jealous and made up her mind that any time she was out, she was going to reek havoc. And if I decide to keep Coconut (still debating because of the horror stories I've heard of greys and flyers fighting) I will be getting her a buddy.

And Thanks! All of my animals names are based after foods! Let's see, I have Poptart, Waffle, Strudel, Mochi, Mocha, and Coconut now.

Mochi&Mocha
11-02-2011, 12:01 AM
mochi!!! you're a flying squirrel...love that tummy!!!!:D :rotfl :Love_Icon

We play games everyday with her jumping. I want to make sure she's big and strong for when she's released so I make sure she gets A LOT of exercise.
Haha I play with her tummy everyday. She's loves her tummy rubbed

squirrelsinthehood
11-02-2011, 11:51 AM
Cool names! But the thought of Strudel the Squirrel is so funny to me!

I like those pics of the flying action. Wow, wish I could do that! :D

Mochi&Mocha
11-02-2011, 12:21 PM
Cool names! But the thought of Strudel the Squirrel is so funny to me!

I like those pics of the flying action. Wow, wish I could do that! :D

Strudel and Waffle are my ferrets lol and Poptart is my cat (don't worry he lives with my mom!).

And me too! :rotfl

Rescue04
11-02-2011, 03:04 PM
i have two flying squirrels myself!! a boy and a girl we named phantom and christine! your flyer is sooooo cute! the other two grays are so sweet. we have several non releaseable grays that have made their way into our home and hearts. your squirrels are adorable!! welcome to TSB!!

gs1
11-02-2011, 04:50 PM
Strudel and Waffle are my ferrets lol and Poptart is my cat (don't worry he lives with my mom!).

l

maybe you win the prize for the most unusual names i've ever heard since michael jackson named his son 'blanket' .....

:D

luv2fly
11-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Very cute :)

sweetecureuil
11-02-2011, 05:18 PM
They are so adorable!
:jump
You are very lucky!

Mochi&Mocha
11-02-2011, 07:05 PM
Thank You everyone! They are definitely what I love to wake up looking at every morning!

And as for the names, they are pretty unusual. It started with Poptart. I rescued him 3 years ago. My grandma heard something whining in her shed and sure enough I found him abandoned. He was so tiny I had to bottle feed him! My little cousin was visiting and him being as obsessed as he is with poptarts, insisted the kitten be named after them :rotfl

gs1
11-03-2011, 01:13 AM
well that's a good explanation...meanwhile everytime i see this thread i have a craving for chocolate covered coconut!!!:D

gs1
11-03-2011, 01:16 AM
lol...back to the photos... mocha is adorable too... so she's non releasable cause of her tail???

maybe still releasable????

is she the one that hates other squirrels...is that why you decided not to get another for her...?

ok ...let me repeat don't rule it out ...nothing sadder than a lonely animal...

or a lonely flyer....

and flyers are such social animals that having another would be such a bonus for you .....and easier to start young!!!

but for now just let me say that coconut is the sweetest looking little thing....

they all are!!!

:Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon

edit: re read what you wrote....

ok ...coconut... same sex is easier ... you don't want to end up with a colony ...as per skuls :hidechair ... and they're great to talk to by the way....here is their flyer thread....

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16792

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93

as for mocha... maybe she'll be fine... she's still young enough.....ask around .....maybe others have a nr (if she's really nr) to give away....

and mochi... is going to have to become friends with other squirrels when she's in the wild... :)

Mochi&Mocha
11-03-2011, 10:50 AM
lol...back to the photos... mocha is adorable too... so she's non releasable cause of her tail???

maybe still releasable????

is she the one that hates other squirrels...is that why you decided not to get another for her...?

ok ...let me repeat don't rule it out ...nothing sadder than a lonely animal...

or a lonely flyer....

and flyers are such social animals that having another would be such a bonus for you .....and easier to start young!!!

but for now just let me say that coconut is the sweetest looking little thing....

they all are!!!

:Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon

edit: re read what you wrote....

ok ...coconut... same sex is easier ... you don't want to end up with a colony ...as per skuls :hidechair ... and they're great to talk to by the way....here is their flyer thread....

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16792

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93

as for mocha... maybe she'll be fine... she's still young enough.....ask around .....maybe others have a nr (if she's really nr) to give away....

and mochi... is going to have to become friends with other squirrels when she's in the wild... :)

Mocha is non releasable because of MANY reasons. The first thing she has going against her release is her tail. She has very little balance because of it. But I've heard different people say different things about the tail. Some have told me she can be released, some say she can't. My vet is pretty sure she can't be released but that's not the only reason why. She's a failure to thrive baby. From the second I've gotten her, everything that could have gone wrong has. She has a very hard time gaining weight. She's getting formula for 7% of her body weight and she just now started to actually gain the weight she should be gaining! When I got her she was half the weight she should have been for her age. It's been a battle to try and get her to gain weight from the beginning. She got pneumonia a few weeks after I got her. She has kitten fur syndrome. She just got over a horrible ear infection. The ear infection caused her to have a horrible head tilt which in turn messed up her eye really bad. Because her head was tilted so bad she was dragging her eye and now we're dealing with that. I'm praying she doesn't lose her sight because of it.

And Mochi is the one who hates others. She has actually gotten a little better with other squirrels. I had both Mocha and Mochi out last night and she came up to me and while I was holding her she smelled Mocha without freaking out. Normally she would run away from me and go be a brat (pee on the couch, knock over something, SOMETHING she knows not to do lol).

As for Coconut. I have decided I am not going to keep her :( I would love to keep her but after hearing the horror stories about greys and flyers, I can't let myself take a chance of Mocha getting hurt. Skul was telling me a story about one of her non-releasable greys getting hurt by a flyer and the story ended up with the grey getting euthanized :(
Not to mention if I kept her I would get another flyer for her company and I don't think I can handle another squirrel right now. I'm a full time college student and I live in an apartment. I only have so much room for them! lol
Maybe when I have more time AND room I will get a flyer :) Every year a new animal comes into my life. I've only ever bought 2 of my pets. Orphaned animals always end up at my door. I'm sure another flyer will come into my life again :)

As for finding someone to keep Mocha and Mochi company, I will definitely look into this! Maybe they will end up getting along and I can just keep them both! That would be amazing.

Mochi&Mocha
11-03-2011, 11:04 AM
well that's a good explanation...meanwhile everytime i see this thread i have a craving for chocolate covered coconut!!!:D

Yum! :D

gs1
11-03-2011, 11:25 AM
ok ..so you're in florida and you'll want to find a home for coconut...at least we've tonnes of members here.... also jackie in tampa has a flyer colony maybe she's willing to take one more???? :hidechair ...not volunteering her or anything lol...but maybe... then coconut will have her own flyer colony and won't be a human pet flyer......

as for mocha ... yes...thats a lot of problems... really a lot....

her ear infection does sound bad...

there is a squirrel here named flash that has had bad ear infections ... his thread might give you some ideas.....in case it comes back....

as well is the formula you are using fox valley? ... esbilac can cause so many problems in squirrels....

as for mochi ...it's exciting that she's started to accept mocha ... if they do end up loving each other and become close then i'd hate to release mochi but if not then release might still be fair for her....

:thumbsup

ps: mochi sounds too smart for her own good ...omg... knocking over something deliberately ...lol.

Mochi&Mocha
11-03-2011, 04:13 PM
ok ..so you're in florida and you'll want to find a home for coconut...at least we've tonnes of members here.... also jackie in tampa has a flyer colony maybe she's willing to take one more???? :hidechair ...not volunteering her or anything lol...but maybe... then coconut will have her own flyer colony and won't be a human pet flyer......

as for mocha ... yes...thats a lot of problems... really a lot....

her ear infection does sound bad...

there is a squirrel here named flash that has had bad ear infections ... his thread might give you some ideas.....in case it comes back....

as well is the formula you are using fox valley? ... esbilac can cause so many problems in squirrels....

as for mochi ...it's exciting that she's started to accept mocha ... if they do end up loving each other and become close then i'd hate to release mochi but if not then release might still be fair for her....

:thumbsup

ps: mochi sounds too smart for her own good ...omg... knocking over something deliberately ...lol.

I have a few rehabber contacts out here in Gainesville :) I believe a woman from my hometown would love to take her. I am going to visit this weekend and see if she has room for her. She's a local rehabber and has a small colony of flyers as well.

And yes that is A LOT of problems but she's my little fighter. I can't even tell you how much money I've spent on vet bills and such. And yes she is on Fox Valley. She is on UltraBoost as well for her weight.

If Mochi and Mocha get along I am thinking of keeping them both. If she has a friend to play with I think she will be happy as a pet. Especially since she's hardly ever caged up :rotfl My apartment might as well be her cage!

Mochi&Mocha
11-03-2011, 04:15 PM
Yes she is! I can't even begin to explain how smart she is :p

Mochi&Mocha
11-05-2011, 03:38 PM
I found Coconut a home! It was so sad to give her up but I know it's what's best :(. She now has 3 brothers and sisters! I'm going to miss her but at least I know she will be happy :)

gs1
11-06-2011, 12:41 AM
sigh ...as long as coconut is happy ... sigh... :grouphug

ps: could you ask that she join tsb and start a thread for her?

also please advise her that flyers need a lot of protein!!! some die without it .... as per my signature... :poke it's not there for fun!! some have 5-10 mealworms per day ...some have 5 others more etc... yuk!!! true but essential ..they're not vegetarians....

MsOakley
11-06-2011, 01:16 AM
Hey Amber,

Great news! Did Sandy take her?

Mochi&Mocha
11-06-2011, 09:27 AM
sigh ...as long as coconut is happy ... sigh... :grouphug

ps: could you ask that she join tsb and start a thread for her?

also please advise her that flyers need a lot of protein!!! some die without it .... as per my signature... :poke it's not there for fun!! some have 5-10 mealworms per day ...some have 5 others more etc... yuk!!! true but essential ..they're not vegetarians....

I'll ask her next time I see her but I know she gets pretty busy with the squirrels. She knows all there is to know though. She has been rehabbing for a very long time. She is greatly involved in the local rehab centers from what I hear. She might even have a tsb already, I didn't think to ask her.

Mochi&Mocha
11-06-2011, 09:30 AM
Hey Amber,

Great news! Did Sandy take her?

Yes :) I went up to her work yesterday and asked about her flyers. She said that they were about the same age as Coconut and that she would love to take her. It was sad to see her go but at least she has some brothers and sisters now! I was just about to pm you and tell you all of this :p