PDA

View Full Version : hello everyone!!!

sweetecureuil
10-30-2011, 06:55 AM
Hi! here are some pictures of my siberian chipmunks.I have one agouti male 6 months old Yuki and two girls that are sisters 11 weeks old.The agouti girl is Mayumi and her dilute sister is Kimiko!Yuki's brother Aiko passed away on the 10/13/2011.
I'm french but i live in the U.K. for few years now.
I discover my new passion about chipmunks in june of this year when i got my first pair of male,Yuki and Aiko.
Since i'm totally hooked!!!!:crazy
Everyday i try to learn more about chipmunks and other species related!
I uploaded few pictures,hope it will work...i'm not the best computerwise...
On the pics it should be Yuki first,Kimiko on the second pic and third Mayumi!

Kind regards.

vickyjhnsn
10-31-2011, 10:28 AM
How cute!!! I've never actually seen a chipmunk. They are just adorable. I bet you get just as attached to those little guys as you do a squirrel.

How long have you had them?

sweetecureuil
10-31-2011, 04:09 PM
Thank you so much!
they are my babies,i love them so much!
I had my male in june this summer when he was 8 weeks old so it's been around 4 months.
I had my girls 2 weeks ago when they were 9 weeks old.
They are quite wild little beasts but i got them fairly tamed so they are close to me especially Yuki my male.
They are not a native species from U.K. so they are my pets.
Obviously i do not keep them enclosed in their aviary all day long.
Are you rescuing squirrels?
I have two grey squirrels in my garden!they are so beautiful!I love to watch them!
Regards.
:D

Scooterzmom
10-31-2011, 04:46 PM
Thought you might want to resize the pics so we can admire them better :) Your babies are just ADORABLE!

Tickle's Mom
10-31-2011, 06:40 PM
They are sooo cute....what is the meaning, if anything, of their names?

sweetecureuil
11-01-2011, 05:38 AM
Thank you so so so much for the compliments!!!
Thank you for resizing the pics as well because i'm not a computer genius at all!!!
I'm really proud of them and i spend most of my day with them!
So yes,you are right their names have meanings!They are japanese names!I reckon it is appropriate since they originally are siberian chipmunks but the specie also lived in Mongolia,Korea,Japan,China and Russia.
Yuki,my male's name means Happiness.
Mayumi, one of the girl's name means True Bow.
Kimiko, the other sister's name means Child without equal.
:jump
Are you both rehabber?
I do not know any rehabber in the U.K.
It's seems like a pretty tough duty.I would be so worry.I would be very frightened to do something wrong to the adorable little creature.
When Yuki's brother Aiko died few weeks ago he was only 5 months old i was so devastated.I still get very upset about it.He was one of my baby and i'm extremely attached to them.
Regards>:flash3

vickyjhnsn
11-01-2011, 10:42 AM
How cute, their names. I just name mine whatever my four year old tells me :crazy I try to make him a part of my squirrels where ever possible so he does not get jealous of the time they take. He sits with me and watches and just loves them.

Yes, I rehab squirrels, so far only greys, and just got my license about two months ago. I've had not formal training yet, except for the experience. It started with my husband bringing a baby home, Alvina, my avatar, from a tree job he had. He cuts down trees. That was my first experience. I tried to find someone around here but did not have any luck that night, then realized how precious they are. Alvina died tragically by a stupid malfunctioning heating pad. I was devastated, but already had my license submitted as it is the law here and I wanted to keep her legally, so then the babies started coming in and I've had five since then. They are just my life. I have other animals, a dog and cat, but nothing compares to having them. They are such a huge part of my life now and my life will never be the same.

When you say wild, what is their temperament. When I said I've never seen a chipmunk, I meant I never saw one in real life. How are they wild? Can you handle them? Do they bite? My babies bite me all the time but I've only been bit twice out of an attack or them being mean. (My little Theo with an attitude got me) They usually just nibble on my fingers because they are teething or just trying to find out if I'm edible. Can't figure that one out.

I've just released three so I spend a lot of time outside watching them and taking care of them outside. I'm learning so much about them being wild. Its fun.

Do you plan on keeping your little guys?

sweetecureuil
11-02-2011, 04:39 PM
Hello!
I never came across an injured or lost baby squirrel.But if i did,i would definitely rescue him.
My chipmunks are wild because it's not like a rabbit or a guinea pig.You can only tame them so much.They will do what they want.You cannot force them to do something.
Mine play with me,jump on me,let themselves being stroked and kissed,but they are so crazy.They are so fast,they never stop running and jumping.They are busy little creatures.
I have spent a lot of time to get where i am with them.Especially with Yuki because i have had him longer than the girls.I love having them because when they let you touch them or when they climb on you it is always a privilege.
They do not like to be held,but i can if needed for few seconds because they try to wiggle their way out of your hand.They do bite if angry or frightened.They are very much a one owner pet.They are friendly with my partner but not as near as they are with me.They are very wary of strangers but eventually might approach them.
Chipmunks are not for children.I guess it is quite similar to a squirrel.It is a complex animal.But each chipmunk has a different personality and their wild instinct is very much controlling them.
They hide seeds,grains and nuts everywhere they can.Because they are ground squirrels they love digging,so i have big plastic boxes filled with soil where they can dig and hide food.
If you want i could email you short videos of mine and you would have a brief understanding of what they are like and how fast they are.
Chipmunks are not native from they U.K. so they are born in captivity and cannot be released because they may compete with the native species.
I hope this enlightens you a little about them.
Regards.
:fireworks