PDA

View Full Version : Flying Squirrel Diarreaa

patjones
10-28-2011, 05:41 PM
Hi
I am on my second squirrel this one is a 5 or 6 week old flyer. The breeder gave me goats milk and not specific instructions on mixing I have been doing it about 1 to 1 and the baby having almost liquid stools today. She also nibbles on pecans love apples and will eat a little orange. She will only eat 3/4 of a cc of formula twice a day. Any mixing or other ideas for me should I go to 24 hrs of pedialyte. I have had her 5 days now it was loose yesterday and worse today
Thanks
OH I order some fox valley today shoud be here next week

gs1
10-28-2011, 08:12 PM
as soon as you get this please call mrs skul ....

i'll give you a private message with her number, she's in texas and she's dyslexic and it's better to talk to her asap.....

gs1
10-28-2011, 08:16 PM
pat i sent you a private message with mrs skuls phone number ... please go to the top right of your screen when you sign on ... and click on private messages....:)

gs1
10-28-2011, 08:19 PM
which goats milk is this???

can you contact the breeder for info (although mrs skul is much better)....

liquid diarrhea is bad....

24 hours of pedialyte is maximum ..otherwise salts accumulate in them....

you can use plain water or water with a touch of applejuice...

but get help asap .... even a vet might help if you have a good squirrel vet....:grouphug

Skul
10-28-2011, 09:55 PM
Ya, give the wife a call.
She'll talk your ear off, but, can give you a better idea on how to mix the goat stuff.
In the mean time, go get some natural yogurt and a small container of heavy whipping cream.
Trust me, you're gonna need it.:D
She's also gonna hound you about getting some Fox Valley powder, too.

Mrs Skul
10-28-2011, 11:59 PM
Hi Pat I am trying to send you a PM. Please Call my cell. I am up all night. You need to Start giving some CHILDREANS IMODIUM.
("If you only find the mint flavored don't worry it will work. You might see green pooh for a while.") :D Here is the Goats Milk Recipe.:thumbsup3

One of our senior members who posts as Jackie in Tampa uses an excellent temporary substitute, and it can be assembled from locally purchased ingredients:
3 parts goat’s milk
1 part heavy whipping cream*
1 part vanilla yogurt
Yogurt needs to be a Full Fat. StonyField makes a Organic called YoBaby.
Formula will last 48 hours in refrigerator.
Goat’s Milk
This can be purchased at natural food stores such as Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods, and at most health food stores that sell groceries. It is a product for humans. Do not substitute commercial formula made for baby goats or other livestock sold at feed stores.
Goat’s milk is available fresh in a carton; evaporated in a can; and as a powdered milk. If you purchase either the evaporated or powdered versions, please blend them with water according to the package directions before using to make the formula.

patjones
10-29-2011, 01:19 AM
Just got home will call first thing in the am She has a soft stool a couple of hours ago so it was a little better she is still active and happy I just worry a lot. I started pedialite tonight will call and update in the morning Thanks a lot I have the goats milk mix on hand and the pedialyte

Mrs Skul
10-29-2011, 01:52 AM
Call your order s in and they will send it out to you as soon as you need it. I use 32/40 for babies and grownups Squirrels and Flying Squirrels 32/40 is what we use 4 weeks and younger! 20/50 4 weeks and older!
Sales / Technical Service: (800) 679-4666
Fax: (815) 578-4240
Outside US: (815) 385-6404
http://henryspets.com
http://foxvalleynutrition.com/main/prod.asp
http://www.squirrelsandmore.com/

patjones
10-29-2011, 03:30 AM
http://www.patjonesphotography.com/img/s11/v31/p908639107-4.jpghttp://www.patjonesphotography.com/img/s11/v29/p579969071-4.jpghttp://www.patjonesphotography.com/img/s11/v29/p578819070-4.jpg

patjones
10-29-2011, 03:32 AM
I went to the store and got everything exept the scale could not find it. She hates the imodium but I probably got two drops in her will update in the morning Thanks everyone I posted a couple of pictures

Jackie in Tampa
10-29-2011, 07:29 AM
hi patjones...
i would advise using only the added yogurt to the goatsmilk recipe until after the diarrhea issue clears up...
hold off on the heavy cream:thumbsup
glad to hear you ordered the fv, most times the formula is the issue.

i know others are going to disagree...but please do the research on immodium before using it..
it is dangerous to use in children...
and for more than two days in humans...
using it off label scares me, I do not advise using it.
:peace jmo.

many things can cause the bad poops..
formula, stress, parasites, viral or bacterial infections....
diagnosing and addressing the cause is best idea...imo.

Sqs are very small and can go down hill very fast...
keeping him hydrated is key!
hoping the formula change helps...:grouphug

patjones
10-29-2011, 10:15 AM
She is up and about this morning and active. No BM yet today so that is better than a loose one. She still hates the imodium I even tried it in a full syringe of milk no luck she can taste it and refused the milk about 10 times. She did drink some water and just now took about 1/2 a cc of milk. Hoping for the best
This is what she looks like this morning her tail is not as fluffy but her coat has not changed I think the tail is from the poop I have cleaned it good.
http://www.patjonesphotography.com/img/s11/v33/p182008931-4.jpg

Dougie
10-29-2011, 05:37 PM
Janda uses goats milk from tracor supply so id assume its not human consumption grade, but I have no clue. I guess you could call tractor supply and ask?

You should be mixing the goats milk 1 part milk 2 parts water. Same with the FV. Im not sure about adding in yogurt and heavy cream yet for our little ones as they are only 6 weeks ( ive asked this and im waiting on a reply) with Dougie I did this but he was 6 mos old not 6 weeks.

Also, your baby looks ok to me as far as the coat, babies have that waxy wet look, its normal, it will go away as she/he gets older. I just weighed my little girl and she is 20 grams. I beleve that is acceptable for a 6 weeker. Not sure.

Dougie
10-29-2011, 06:36 PM
I found out what the goats milk is called, it is is Goat's Milk Esbilac, from what I read online its very close to mommy squirrels milk, and pretty similar to Fox Valley, but I say go for the Fox Valley.

Goats Milk Esbilac
Guaranteed Analysis: Moisture: max 85.0%, Crude Fat: min 6.0%, Crude
Protein: min 4.5%, Crude Fiber: max 0.0%

Im also reading online bovine protein can cause diarrhea in little ones, so maybe not add the heavy cream just yet ( I think someone above already said not to )

patjones
10-29-2011, 06:44 PM
Thanks I did order the FV yesterday should be here wed I think til then I will keep the formula yogurt going. Still waiting on a bm from her for today I am going to go get a scale right now will post weight when I get back.

patjones
10-29-2011, 08:45 PM
Here is the address to my actual web site. I got a scale she is 19 grahms this evening
She finally took a full cc of formula this evening I think her diahariea is getting better it is not total liquid I think there is a little liquid coming out but no real stool yet today .
http://www.patjonesphotography.com/p297575704

Hi Pat I am trying to send you a PM. Please Call my cell. I am up all night. You need to Start giving some CHILDREANS IMODIUM.
("If you only find the mint flavored don't worry it will work. You might see green pooh for a while.") :D Here is the Goats Milk Recipe.:thumbsup3

One of our senior members who posts as Jackie in Tampa uses an excellent temporary substitute, and it can be assembled from locally purchased ingredients:
3 parts goat’s milk
1 part heavy whipping cream*
1 part vanilla yogurt
Yogurt needs to be a Full Fat. StonyField makes a Organic called YoBaby.
Formula will last 48 hours in refrigerator.
Goat’s Milk
This can be purchased at natural food stores such as Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods, and at most health food stores that sell groceries. It is a product for humans. Do not substitute commercial formula made for baby goats or other livestock sold at feed stores.
Goat’s milk is available fresh in a carton; evaporated in a can; and as a powdered milk. If you purchase either the evaporated or powdered versions, please blend them with water according to the package directions before using to make the formula.

patjones
10-29-2011, 09:02 PM
One more thing Thanks so much you stayed on the phone with me til 3 am while I walked around HEB looking. I know how busy you are and no matter the outcome I will never never forget your takng time to mentor me when you dont have to. Your enthusiasm is contagois and I respect and love one thing more than anything else that is commitment to what you really believe in, You are awessome thanks for everything.
Pat

patjones
10-29-2011, 09:12 PM
Here is the address to my actual web site. I got a scale she is 19 grahms this evening
She finally took a full cc of formula this evening I think her diahariea is getting better it is not total liquid I think there is a little liquid coming out but no real stool yet today .
http://www.patjonesphotography.com/p297575704

Dougie
11-01-2011, 11:14 PM
How much is your little one weighing? We got Bianca at 18 grams on Saturday and the little pig is up to 24 grams already! 6 whole grams in 3 days! She eats like a pig now, shes fully on FV and I give her one tiny piece of fruit every other day, no other option but pumpkin seeds ( 2 every other day) and henrys block. I don't need no bad habits!

Hope your little one is well.

Mrs Skul
11-02-2011, 02:39 AM
:wave123 Hi Pat
How is your little Girl doing today? Have you come up with a name yet? She is so pretty in all of her Pictures. She looks like a Little Angel. :Love_Icon
I hope the FoxVally comes in soon. Don't forget when it does come in. You need to mix both formula separate,
and start adding the FoxVally to the Goat milk Formula. Then you will wean her off the Goats Milk within a few days.
Good Luck.

Dougie
11-02-2011, 05:15 PM
Since our girls came from the same breeder I wanted to let you know that I had a fine time weaning off goats milk to fox valley. I did it over a 3 day period. day 1 I did 1/4 fv to 3/4 goats, day 2 I did 1/2 and 1/2 and day 3 did full fox valley and shes done great. She actually eats WAY BETTER now that shes on FV. She loves it! Shes eating 2cc 4x a day now, its pretty much all I am feeding her, ive taken her off all seeds and nuts aside from what I hand her.

Ive not started wax worms yet but plan on it in a few weeks, I really just want her to stay on the fv as long as possible since she did come to me a bit underweight and not eating how id like her to ( seeds all day )

patjones
11-02-2011, 05:52 PM
I think we finally have a handle on the diarrhea My FV should be here tomorrow I hope. She will only eat one full cc per feeding and if I over fill it she stops before the last drop. Her stool is now bronw and varies between soft and sticky but none of the bad diarrhea and she has gained 2 grams the last 2 days. I really think she just opened her eyes before I got her. She is running around some and started playing yesterday A little finger fighting and running out of the pocket. I am relieved that she is better I was really worried about her for a few days there.

patjones
11-02-2011, 05:54 PM
http://www.patjonesphotography.com/img/s11/v35/p220353754-4.jpg

Dougie
11-02-2011, 08:32 PM
What a CUTE little thing she is, she looks just like my Bianca. I cant wait to see them grow up! So glad shes growing. What is her weight now? Bianca weighed in at 25 grams just after her night feeding. She is taking 2cc per feeding and I give her a tiny apple piece every day ( size of a pea) and 1 pumpkin seed at night in her cage.

Here is Bianca eating hope you dont mind I post it I just see a resemblance in their faces and particularly their little noses.

patjones
11-03-2011, 01:11 PM
They do have the same nose kind of extended and tiny, I hope they both live long happy lives Pixie decided today that she would be happy in the back of my shirt collar. She has spent all day there just down far enough that she is covered up but not getting squished when I sit down in a chair!! 20 grams dry weight this morning will weigh her again tonight full. This is progress she was 17 dry a few days ago.