PDA

View Full Version : anyone have a conservation officer visit?

md_lvt_cwr
10-27-2011, 10:45 AM
As you may know, I am in the last phases of getting state licensure. I have to have a conservation office visit and see my facility. I am worried because my facility is my spare bedroom, with a large aviary small mammal cage in it. Thats all. Its just me doing this and I only take a few animals at a time (squirrels right now).

Should I hide the squirrels when he comes?

what should I do? anyone done this?

CritterMom
10-27-2011, 10:48 AM
Yes, absolutely hide the squirrels and all sign of the squirrels someplace where you are 100% sure they will not be seen. I will let the rehabbers comment on the rest, but of this I am completely certain!

mpetys
10-27-2011, 11:28 AM
Can you hide them at a friend's house? Heaven forbid you hide them at your house and while the conservation officer is there, one decides to emit the distress call. Mine are quiet but all it takes is for them to pick up on something different to start calling. A car door outside their window, a different shadow on the wall. My spring squirrels were in front of a window, with the blinds all the way up. They started calling when a car on the other side of the highway pulled over and put his hood up. Has to be at least 100+ feet away! Another time they were calling and frantic. I could see nothing outside their window. Went outside, thinking I might find a cat under the window. Nope! Up on the telephone wire were 2 black crows! I must have looked silly trying to scare them off, but they left. Maybe I looked heroic to the babies!

astra
10-27-2011, 01:27 PM
Yes, absolutely hide the squirrels and all sign of the squirrels someplace where you are 100% sure they will not be seen. I will let the rehabbers comment on the rest, but of this I am completely certain!
:goodpost