PDA

View Full Version : We have an answer!

Rescue04
10-25-2011, 11:41 AM
As you guys have been seeing - this has been a bad year for some of our re-habbers. We have been loosing babies with what seems to be no symptoms at all.

Well we sent three babies out for necropsy, the results were not good. We 2 of the babies had under-developed or 1/2 developed brains (litterally 1/3 was missing). The other was due to a brain anurism. Aparently this has been the case due to the survivors from last years bad batches.

To all of the rehabbers who have had issues - there is nothing you could have done, I know we were ready to quit all together - but now we know it wasn't anything we did. So if you had one that had blood coming out of the noise @ death or no issues - that passed. You could almost bet that this was the cause.

I just wanted to put it out there for those with heavy hearts. Hopefully next year will be better.....

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

mpetys
10-25-2011, 11:52 AM
As you guys have been seeing - this has been a bad year for some of our re-habbers. We have been loosing babies with what seems to be no symptoms at all.

Well we sent three babies out for necropsy, the results were not good. We 2 of the babies had under-developed or 1/2 developed brains (litterally 1/3 was missing). The other was due to a brain anurism. Aparently this has been the case due to the survivors from last years bad batches.

To all of the rehabbers who have had issues - there is nothing you could have done, I know we were ready to quit all together - but now we know it wasn't anything we did. So if you had one that had blood coming out of the noise @ death or no issues - that passed. You could almost bet that this was the cause.

I just wanted to put it out there for those with heavy hearts. Hopefully next year will be better.....

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Is there a report that could be posted and passed on? I have rehabber friends that are not TSB members that I am sure would love any information. Thanks for doing this.

JLM27
10-25-2011, 11:53 AM
Clarification: what is meant by "last year's bad batches"?

island rehabber
10-25-2011, 11:56 AM

Yes I'm wondering the same thing. And, is there any idea what caused these birth defects and abnormalities? Toxins always come to mind in these situations....were the babies all from one certain area and are there any particular manufacturing/agricultural/nuclear sites around there? :dono

Rhapsody
10-25-2011, 12:15 PM
Not 100% sure - but I think he meant....... the many different batch of babies they rehabbed and kept on losing last year (no particular order or parents) - :grouphug

astra
10-25-2011, 12:20 PM
who would have thought...
a large percentage of such birth defects results from genetic mutations due to poisoning of sorts... I am sure, even the stuff ppl use to spray their backyards/gardens/flowers/etc can do such harm

Anne
10-25-2011, 02:08 PM
:thankyou :thankyou Great information to have. Many of us lose babies and beat ourselves up everyday. Just knowing that other areas have problems---IS---a comfort!

Kelly Brady
10-25-2011, 03:34 PM
:thankyou :thankyou Great information to have. Many of us lose babies and beat ourselves up everyday. Just knowing that other areas have problems---IS---a comfort!

Yea Anne like little George Cooney. I think of him often. boo hoo.

I am not sure I understand what the batch means either. Is it limited to a certain area in Florida? An area where lineage (birth defects passed down by areas) is what this means. Sorry I am a goof.

Rescue04
10-25-2011, 04:21 PM
About 2 years ago we started seeing some unusual viruses, I can not name them all. Some of our babies that were re-habbed from these seem to have caused some other defects in the offspring. I will have to see if I can get a copy of the report to post up - they just informed us via a phone conversasion.

The bad thing is, these guys seem to start thiving then cross the bridge with no warning signs.

If I can post anymore information I will.

Just don't give up, we were ready to pull the plug on all of our work - all we can think right now is that even though we are mother natures second plan - sometimes she still has a path to take.

Rescue04
10-25-2011, 04:22 PM
I am thinking some of it was spread through mosquitto bites (viruses), not so much poisins/toxins.

wheezer
10-25-2011, 04:32 PM
Good Information:thumbsup
I have often wondered too, how many little ones we get that are ones mothers throw out due to something they know that means they won't survive. Then we end up crying over their loss:(

I remember one I got while working at the rehab center that was born without a bottom jaw! We didn't notice while she was on a bottle but once weaned it was discovered:shakehead (but I kept her and fed her ground up rodent chow mixed with baby food fruit! She only lived a year but had a happy life:grouphug

crazysquirrels
10-26-2011, 09:37 AM
Do you think these are introduced viruses? Nature in general is not that hard on itself. Did all these babies come from Florida?

astra
10-26-2011, 11:30 AM
Do you think these are introduced viruses? Nature in general is not that hard on itself. Did all these babies come from Florida?
good point... there appeared recently weird viruses, along with a number of industrial toxins and scary pesticides:shakehead