PDA

View Full Version : New here.

BiancaMontgomery
10-23-2011, 02:22 PM
Hi! Glad to see all this information and experience in one place.

My name is Chelle. I'm currently having my 3rd experience with baby squirrels.

The first, when I was 20, I was simply the "helper" to my Mother who raised two. I believe they were about 4 weeks old when someone gave them to her. It was a wonderful experience and those babies were released successfully using "soft release".

The second experience was in 2006 when a baby fell down into my fireplace. This baby was taken back outside in a box, but the mother didn't come for it. :( Tucker was about 3.5 weeks old. I did soft release as well with this little guy and at 7 months old he went out on his own completely.

Now this little girl. "Baby"...my partner and I let our 2.5 year old daughter name her as we were about to have a knock-down-drag-out over it LOL My partner was walking our dog on Tuesday. Made one pass around the block, went for a second and there the baby was, sprawled out on the sidewalk. Wasn't there the first time around and not a tree close enough to have fallen from, nor a nest in any tree near. We think a bird of prey dropped her (lucky baby!). Both her eyes are open as of yesterday. She's eating well and doing great. :)

BiancaMontgomery
10-23-2011, 02:25 PM
OH, here's a photo of the little sweetie:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6056/6273311270_2995b2c9f7.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/87267225@N00/6273311270/)
[/url] [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/87267225@N00/] (http://www.flickr.com/photos/87267225@N00/6273311270/)

stepnstone
10-23-2011, 02:42 PM
:Welcome Chelle! What a beautiful little fuzz butt and so lucky too! :thumbsup

lilidukes
10-23-2011, 03:12 PM
:Welcome Chelle and Baby!

island rehabber
10-23-2011, 05:22 PM
:Welcome Chelle! Baby is beautiful. Thank goodness you found her and have some squirrel experience! Have you checked out our Squirrel Nutrition Forum yet? Everything you could possibly want to know about feeding our fuzzbutt friends the absolute best of everything. :D

JakesLittlePrincess
10-23-2011, 05:24 PM
Hello & :Welcome !

BiancaMontgomery
10-23-2011, 07:32 PM
Hello everyone! And thank you for the warm welcome!

In reference to feeding: I have spoken with Nick at FV and that man is made of awesome! Will have the "right" formula no later than Tuesday I believe. She's doing well on the Esbilac, but I'm anxious to get her on the better formula. I'm also about to order her some monkey biscuits as she's cut her little teeth. :)

She's currently in a 70 gallon (long vs tall) acrylic aquarium (it has a heavy/metal hinged top) with a no-shut-off heating pad under it, small cardboard box "nest" for now with old t-shirt pieces in it. It's very warm and cozy in there. I have a small blanket folded over once and in the bottom of the aquarium and a tree branch in there also, but she doesn't come out of the "nest box" yet. Soon. :)

I'm just thrilled that she's doing so well. She's sure a sweetheart.

Anyway, it's nice to meet you all and I'm thrilled to have all this knowledge and experience to reference. Great place you have here!

Here she is the day after she was found:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6166/6260818565_ae957caf75.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/87267225@N00/6260818565/)
[/url] (http://www.flickr.com/photos/87267225@N00/6260818565/)

And here's Tucker, the little guy I had in 2006:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/55/148742009_9716f47416.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/87267225@N00/148742009/)
by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/87267225@N00/] (http://www.flickr.com/photos/87267225@N00/148742009/)

mpetys
10-23-2011, 10:44 PM
Hi and :Welcome . Baby is awfully cute! Look forward to seeing more pictures as this little one grows up.

BTW, I love Bianca Montgomery (and Kendall, Greenley and all of Pine Valley)! :D :D

BiancaMontgomery
10-24-2011, 09:14 AM
Hi and :Welcome . Baby is awfully cute! Look forward to seeing more pictures as this little one grows up.

BTW, I love Bianca Montgomery (and Kendall, Greenley and all of Pine Valley)! :D :D

Hi! Yes, she's a doll! I love taking pictures, so there will definitley be more. :)

LOL, my username on another forum is BiancaMontgomery (I mod for a group called Pay It Forward on the Electronic Cigarette Forum ECF...been smoke free for almost a full year now! Yay!!) and I just used it here too so I'd remember it! At the time I was trying to think of a name for that forum I was so smitten with Bianca Montgomery that I used the name. I know, I'm wonky, but I don't forget the name...I forget stuff. :-P

mpetys
10-24-2011, 09:34 AM
Hi! Yes, she's a doll! I love taking pictures, so there will definitley be more. :)

LOL, my username on another forum is BiancaMontgomery (I mod for a group called Pay It Forward on the Electronic Cigarette Forum ECF...been smoke free for almost a full year now! Yay!!) and I just used it here too so I'd remember it! At the time I was trying to think of a name for that forum I was so smitten with Bianca Montgomery that I used the name. I know, I'm wonky, but I don't forget the name...I forget stuff. :-P

Congrats on being smoke free! I quit in 1988, gosh that makes me sound old! :D

Ok, were you smitten with the most recent Biana, Christina Bennett Lind or the previous one, Eden Riegel? I loved Eden Riegel. To me the new one seemed so nervous all the time. I thought I would be lost without AMC since I have watched since 1991 but oddly enough, I feel kinda free. :jump

BiancaMontgomery
10-24-2011, 09:38 AM
Congrats on being smoke free! I quit in 1988, gosh that makes me sound old! :D

Ok, were you smitten with the most recent Biana, Christina Bennett Lind or the previous one, Eden Riegel? I loved Eden Riegel. To me the new one seemed so nervous all the time. I thought I would be lost without AMC since I have watched since 1991 but oddly enough, I feel kinda free. :jump

Eden Riegel for the win!! :D I stopped watching when she left. Never saw one episode with the new Bianca.

Congrats on being free of AMC :rotfl:

mpetys
10-24-2011, 09:44 AM
Eden Riegel for the win!! :D I stopped watching when she left. Never saw one episode with the new Bianca.

Congrats on being free of AMC :rotfl:

Smoke free and AMC free, I guess we're doing pretty good! :D

BiancaMontgomery
10-24-2011, 09:58 AM
Smoke free and AMC free, I guess we're doing pretty good! :D

We're doing GREAT! :)

And I just ordered Baby's monkey biscuits...so she's doing great too! Yay!

2ndHandRanchRescue
10-24-2011, 01:24 PM
:Welcome
I love baby squirrel photos curled up in a hand - adorable!!!
Welcome to this fun place!

squirrelsinthehood
10-24-2011, 01:28 PM
Cute pics & I especially like that 1 w/ the squirrel playing w/ the spoon!

BiancaMontgomery
10-24-2011, 01:42 PM
:thankyou :thankyou for the :Welcome :)

I'm wondering if I should start stockpiling the acorns for future use...any of you do that? If so, best to keep them inside or outside?

BiancaMontgomery
10-24-2011, 03:05 PM
Ah, I just found some info here on the acorns. Doesn't look like they store well. :(

astra
10-24-2011, 03:25 PM
Ah, I just found some info here on the acorns. Doesn't look like they store well. :(
actually, a lot of ppl freeze them successfully.
It is suggested that you do not pick up the ones that have been lying on the ground (est. dirt, grass) for some time (just in case, they started getting moldy). Best to pick up the fresh ones, right off the tree, or those that were lying on hard surfaces (like pavement vs. moist dirt/grass more risky in terms of mold). Some ppl spread sheets (like, plastic, or old bed sheets etc) under their oaks to collect falling acorns.

Then, you can put them in a bucket of water - those that sink are the good ones, those that float = aren't. You need to dry them and freeze them.

If you would like to make sure - post your question about acorns as a separate thread in Non-Life threatening help needed or Nutrition forum.

BiancaMontgomery
10-24-2011, 07:47 PM
actually, a lot of ppl freeze them successfully.
It is suggested that you do not pick up the ones that have been lying on the ground (est. dirt, grass) for some time (just in case, they started getting moldy). Best to pick up the fresh ones, right off the tree, or those that were lying on hard surfaces (like pavement vs. moist dirt/grass more risky in terms of mold). Some ppl spread sheets (like, plastic, or old bed sheets etc) under their oaks to collect falling acorns.

Then, you can put them in a bucket of water - those that sink are the good ones, those that float = aren't. You need to dry them and freeze them.

If you would like to make sure - post your question about acorns as a separate thread in Non-Life threatening help needed or Nutrition forum.

Thank you very much for the information and the suggestion. :) I did read earlier that the ones that sink are the good ones. This forum is full of great information.

Baby is doing so well! She's eating great and peeing, pooping...you know, it's amazing how happy I am to be peed on by a squirrel :rotfl She didn't pee her first full day with me and scared me, but since then, she's done great. :wahoo

mpetys
10-24-2011, 08:17 PM
Thank you very much for the information and the suggestion. :) I did read earlier that the ones that sink are the good ones. This forum is full of great information.

Baby is doing so well! She's eating great and peeing, pooping...you know, it's amazing how happy I am to be peed on by a squirrel :rotfl She didn't pee her first full day with me and scared me, but since then, she's done great. :wahoo

Or how nonchalant we are about picking up squirrel poop. I was making a video one time of an injured squirrel to show how his walking had improved. In the middle of the video, he dropped a couple of pellets. I just reached out with my free hand and picked them up so he wouldn't step in them or sit on them. Right away I was embarrassed to have done that on the video but pretty instantly brushed it off by saying something like, " oh these are squirrel people watching this, they'll understand"! And so we do.

If you read back through different threads, you'll see how casually we talk about pee and poop. And heaven help us when someone has a baby that either hasn't pooped or had problem poop and they post that their baby had good poop, right color, right size, right density. We celebrate and are thankful for good poop!

So, maybe I will be the first to congratulate you on good poop and pee. :poop

P.S. I think in the past I have even posted pics of poop! To get advice of course!

BiancaMontgomery
10-24-2011, 08:30 PM
I just laughed so hard at the dancing poop that I scared the bejesus out of the 20lb cat in my lap!! OMG, that is hilarious!

Yes!! THRILLED with the correct poop! It's nutty (no pun intended!! Bwahahahaha!!!!)

Fireweed
10-24-2011, 08:35 PM
:Welcome

Your baby, Baby, is adorabubble. :Love_Icon Both photos are way too cute. And Tucker--the feets! THE FEETS! :Love_Icon

You totally sound like One of Us. Welcome to the forum, Squeep! :alright.gif And get with the program already and post a thousand more pics! :poke

BiancaMontgomery
10-24-2011, 09:57 PM
Hahahaha, OK OK! More pics tomorrow. :D