PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel Rehabilitation Handbook

Suzie
10-19-2011, 10:23 AM
Hello @ all,

I found in www the "Squirrel Rehabilitation Handbook" and I´m very interested to get it.
I'm licensed here in Germany and I want to know, if I can buy this handbook.

Can anybody here tell me more about this book?
Is it possibility shipping to Germany? How I can buy it? (Adress)

Sorry, my english is not better than last year !

Regards from germany !
Suzie :)

island rehabber
10-19-2011, 10:36 AM
hi suzie! Your English is just fine; better than some people who were born here. :D
If you mean the Squirrel Rehabilitation handbook written by Shirley & Alan Casey, you could contact them thru their website at www.ewildgain.com. I know they require a rehab license to purchase the book, but I'm not sure if it matters where you were licensed.

Suzie
10-19-2011, 10:47 AM
Hi island rehabber,

:thankyou for answering.

Yes I mean this book from Shirley & Alan Casey

Have you read it?

stosh2010
10-19-2011, 10:52 AM
FOUND THIS Info---

Book is/was $40.00 and 5.00 shipping in the U.S.. No credit cards accepted.
Order form is next post...I am in Costa Rica so shipping and customs is much more.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% %%
WildAgain Wildlife Rehabilitation, Inc.

Squirrel Rehabilitation Handbook, 2003 edition
Shirley J. Casey and Allan M. Casey.
WildAgain Wildlife Rehabilitation Inc.

Introduction
WildAgain’s Squirrel Rehabilitation Handbook has recently been expanded to 265 pages, including over 120 black and white photos; 18 illustrations, and 20 data charts. Previously only available for those attending WildAgain’s 2 day squirrel rehabilitation seminar, the manual includes detailed photos of juvenile squirrels at different developmental stages, information on diets, and cage plans, as well as descriptions of common squirrel health conditions and treatment options.
Four of the 7 appendices are new articles, including tips on preventing aspiration problems in juvenile squirrels, gastrointestinal conditions in squirrels (35 pages+), urinary conditions in squirrels (10+ pages), and a comparison of commercial rodent chow products. The bibliography includes citations from over 115 references, as well as including useful websites.
The authors, co-founders of WildAgain Wildlife Rehabilitation in Evergreen, Colorado, have rehabilitated over 1,700 squirrels since 1986, and have worked with over 15 species of tree and ground squirrels. The authors have presented much of the content contained in the Handbook at state, regional and national rehabilitation conferences as well as published on squirrel rehabilitation (an example of an article by the authors is on this website; see "Utilizing Squirrel Natural History in Rehabilitation Decisions"). Please see below for ordering information. Also see below for the $30 registration discount you receive at one of WildAgain's 2-day squirrel rehabilitation seminars

Table of Contents
Chapter 1 - Squirrel Natural History
Squirrels in the United States, general information, habitat and range, natural diet in the wild, behavior, physiology, reproduction, developmental stages and aging photographs, some common North American squirrels, and a North America distribution map.
Chapter 2 - Preparation
Supplies, publications useful for wildlife rehabilitators, wildlife rehabilitation organizations, caging and habitat materials (needs, designs, plans).
Chapter 3 - Talking with the Public
Fundamentals, common questions about squirrels and possible responses, juvenile squirrels in need, injured adult squirrels, transport tips, hostage negotiation.
Chapter 4 - Admit Procedures
Admission. handling precautions, initial examination, common initial conditions and treatments.
Chapter 5 - Diet and Nutrition, Feeding Technique and Elimination
Commercially available milk replacers, feeding instruments for infant and juvenile squirrels, preparing diets for infant and juvenile squirrels, feeding techniques for infants and juveniles, feeding amount, feeding schedule guidelines, diet and nutrition for older juvenile and adult squirrels, diet for injured or weak adult squirrels, elimination. This chapter also includes a 2-page chart with general feeding guidelines.
Chapter 6 - Caging
Design considerations, bedding, nesting boxes, water source, cage and nest box plans, examples of outdoor squirrel enclosures, cage cleaning.
Chapter 7 - Orphaned Squirrel Considerations
Raising orphaned squirrels, habituated squirrels, cage occupancy and management, water source.
Chapter 8 - Squirrel Health Considerations
Learning what is normal health, initial physical examination, daily monitoring, veterinary assistance, holistic care options, 44 common health conditions, etiology and some treatments.
Chapter 9 - Release Considerations, Euthanasia and Managing Risks
Preparing squirrels for release. release criteria, release time, release sites, considerations for euthanasia decisions, euthanasia procedure, risk management, health and safety concerns, legal concerns and liabilities.

Bibliography (including literature cited (118 references) and several useful Internet web sites)

Appendices (click on underlined titles for links)
• "Utilizing Squirrel Natural History in Rehabilitation Decisions" by Shirley Casey
• "Mammal Nutrition: More than a Cookbook" by Allan Casey
• "Selection and Use of Commercially Available Rodent Chow Products" by Allan Casey
While many rehabilitators use commercially prepared rodent chows with pre-weaned and weaned juvenile rodents and adult rodents, others do not. This paper begins with some of the reasons that rehabilitators use or do not use rodent chows. It describes different types of rodent chows with varying levels of fat and protein, such as high performance diets for breeding and reproduction, growth or full life cycle diets, and maintenance diets. Charts compare 27 different products used with rodents that are offered by several manufacturers, as well as the guaranteed and typical nutritional analyses. While the author does not recommend a specific rodent chow product, he does describe criteria used to select one product over another, including the animal’s stage of development, ratio of protein to fat, ingredients, and source of nutrients. This article clearly shows that rodent chows are not created equal.
• "Aspiration Problems in Juvenile Squirrels" by Shirley Casey
Aspiration of fluids is a rather common problem seen in juvenile squirrels in rehabilitation. Serious respiratory conditions can result from the squirrel aspirating (inhaling) fluids during feeding by the rescuer, rehabilitation volunteer, or rehabilitator. This paper suggests a variety of tips to help reduce the risk of aspiration. The first tips involve selection of feeding instruments (syringes and nipples) that compare in size to the mother squirrel’s nipple as well as limit and control the amount of fluid. The next series of tips involve feeding process, such as position of the squirrel and syringe and ensuring time for swallowing by using a “push-pause” method. Signs of aspiration problems are described, including wheezing, “clicking”, increasing lethargy, decreasing appetite, and mouth breathing. Examples of treatments used with aspiration problems are also described.
• "Homeopathic First Aid Tips for Wildlife" by Shirley Casey and Betty Jo Black, DVM
• "Urinary Conditions in Squirrels" by Shirley Casey and Mackenzie Goldthwait, DVM
A variety of urinary problems seen in squirrels in rehabilitation and potential treatments are described in this paper. Examples of the urinary conditions include descriptions, etiologies (causes), and potential treatments. Some of the conditions include inability to urinate, urinary infections, problems with urine, and genital injuries. Descriptions of some methods to prevent problems as well as conventional and holistic medical treatments have been included.
• "Gastrointestinal Conditions in Squirrels" by Shirley Casey and Mackenzie Goldthwait, DVM
Gastrointestinal difficulties occur quite frequently in squirrels in rehabilitation, particularly problems with stool. Gastrointestinal disturbances can cause a variety of problems, especially during critical development stages of young animals. This 30 page paper describes ten gastrointestinal problems seen in squirrels, including soft stool, diarrhea, bloat, and prolapsed rectum. It then describes over 30 potential causes of such problems, such as overfeeding, diets too rich in fats or sugars, inappropriate diets for the animal’s age, disturbance of digestive flora due to antibiotics, and endoparasites. Suggestions are provided to help prevent and resolve digestive problems through modifying rehabilitation practices. The authors also describe some treatments used by rehabilitators and veterinarians with various digestive disorders, including conventional medicine, homeopathic medicine, herbal medicine, and acupuncture. Five appendices to the paper provide additional information on topics such as reasons that squirrels may not eat, four detailed cases and treatments, and a supply list.

Ordering Information
This Squirrel Rehabilitation Handbook is for rehabilitators, not the general public, since the possession and care of wild squirrels is usually regulated by state law. Thus, the Squirrel Rehabilitation Handbook will be sold only to permitted wildlife rehabilitators, sub-permittees, or volunteers assisting a permitted rehabilitator, and not to the general public. A photocopy of the rehabilitator's current wildlife rehabilitation state permit or license, or other information documenting rehabilitation activities must accompany each order.
The cost of the Squirrel Rehabilitation Handbook is US$40 plus $5 shipping (US Priority Mail). To keep the cost of the handbook most affordable, WildAgain does not accept credit cards, but will gladly accept for payment a personal check or money order made to the order of WildAgain. Click here for a printable order form, or please send the payment, documentation of rehabilitator status, and mailing instructions to WildAgain, P.O. Box 685, Evergreen, CO, 80437-0685. (For orders outside the U.S., or for orders of multiple copies, please email for shipping costs.)
Please email any questions or inquiries about the Handbook to WLRehabProject@me.com.

island rehabber
10-19-2011, 10:53 AM
Hi island rehabber,

:thankyou for answering.

Yes I mean this book from Shirley & Alan Casey

Have you read it?
Yes, I have it here. I got my copy as a first edition when I took the Casey's two-day Squirrel Seminar back in 2004-5. It basically taught me everything I know about squirrel rehab and it was FANTASTIC. If they ever give it again, I encourage everyone to sign up. Best 16 hrs I ever spent in a classroom.
Anyway, although it is a very good book I would make sure I had a copy of "Wild Mammal babies - the First 48 Hours and Beyond" before I purchased the Caseys' book. It is far more user-friendly and far more practical. Just my opinion. :D

stosh2010
10-19-2011, 10:55 AM
Is this the book you had seen??? I just googled the TITLE ...
The order from says it is NOT sold to the general public...may need a re-habber to order it for you. I am not a rehabber...

ORDER FORM---

Authors
Shirley Casey, WildAgain Wildlife Rehabilitation, Inc. in Evergreen, CO is co-author of the Squirrel Rehabilitation Handbook. She has published and presented widely on wildlife rehab topics. ewildagain@aol.com
Mackenzie Goldthwait, DVM of Denver, Colorado, graduated from Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine in 1989, with special interest in wildlife medicine. She has extensive experience with wildlife, exotics and small animals. She has been involved in writing for and training rehabilitators.

© 2007 Shirley Casey and Mackenzie Goldthwait, DVM

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Squirrel Rehabilitation Handbook, 2003 edition
Order Form(Print the form, then fill out the information below)

Please send me a copy of the Squirrel Rehabilitation Handbook at the address below:
Name: _________________________________________________
Address: _______________________________________________
City, ST and Zip: ________________________________________
 I have enclosed my check or money order for US$45.00 payable to "WildAgain" to cover the cost of the Handbook plus US Priority mail postage.
 I have also enclosed a copy of my state rehabilitation permit or other documentation of my wildlife rehabilitation activity, as I understand the Handbook is not sold to the general public.Return this form to: WildAgain Wildlife Rehabilitation, PO Box 685, Evergreen, CO 80437-0685.

Notification of upcoming Squirrel Rehabilitation Seminars (optional)
A coupon for a discount on the registration fee for any of WildAgain's 2-day Squirrel Rehabilitation seminars is included with your purchase of the Handbook. If you would like periodic notifications of these scheduled events by email, please provide your email address below:
__________________________________________________ __
As email addresses change from time to time, the best way to stay informed of planned seminars is to check WildAgain's seminar schedule at www.ewildagain.org.
Thank you for your order.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Return this form to: WildAgain Wildlife Rehabilitation, PO Box 685, Evergreen, CO 80437-0685.

Notification of upcoming Squirrel Rehabilitation Seminars (optional)
A coupon for a discount on the registration fee for any of WildAgain's 2-day Squirrel Rehabilitation seminars is included with your purchase of the Handbook. If you would like periodic notifications of these scheduled events by email, please provide your email address below:

Junior
10-19-2011, 11:03 AM
Excellent book to have on hand!!
I just got my copy last October or November and I think it was just updated prior to 2010???
When I mailed in my order form and my check I included a copy of my license with it, you may want to send them an email just to double check on shipping costs.
Good Luck!!!

Suzie
10-19-2011, 11:17 AM
re hi,

thank you stosh and island rehabber! :thumbsup

I understand, that the book is not for all people, only for rehabber.

I have the "licence" here in Germany. (Two different authorities. That is the condition to rescue / maintain wild squirrels.)
The first = "Untere Naturschutzbehörde", the second = "Kreisveterinäramt"
Both controll me.... and all other Stations... of course.

:thinking I will contact them and ask if I can buy it.

Have a nice day!

SquirrelCav
10-19-2011, 10:58 PM
Hi, Suzie. Falls Du Fragen hast können wir auch Deutsch sprechen. Du kannst mir oder 4Skwerlz jederzeit eine PM schicken :)

MiriamS
10-20-2011, 12:33 AM
How does this book compare to

Hand-rearing infant tree squirrels by P.C Hanes

and

I Found a Baby Squirrel, What Do I Do? (Basic Manual Wildlife Rehabilitation) by Dale Carlson, Irene Ruth and Hope M. Douglas