PDA

View Full Version : Putting babies together

md_lvt_cwr
10-10-2011, 07:52 PM
I have never had this issue, but maybe you guys have and can help.

I have a 10 week old fox squirrel and a 9 week old grey happily living together right now. They are in a huge cage (like 1/2 my spare room huge) with all the squirrely amenaties. Male fox/ffemal grey. No fighting, nothing bad, they snuggle ect....

I also have a just 7-8 week old male fox squirrel that is getting way to active for my "baby" cage. He is still taking formula a few times a day, but is eating squirrel blocks and veggies too.

I tried putting him (the youngest) in the big cage and the older foxer was clicking and lunging at him, and wouldnt let him in the sleep baskets. Things then calmed down, but after an hour I heard a ruckus and it was starting all over again.

So back to the baby cage he went. But I dont have another big cage or room, and he cant be in the baby cage forever.

will they learn to get along, or am I screwed?

psychobird
10-10-2011, 08:08 PM
i think once they are older its can be difficult to introduce them, i usually dont put anyone together after 6 weeks or so

djarenspace9
10-10-2011, 08:10 PM
I don't know about mixing species...so I can't really address that...:thinking
but when trying to integrate a solo with others (I work with grays)
I find a gradual process is most effective.

You can try putting the baby cage inside the larger cage, so he is safe in it but the others can acclimate.
I use a side by side method but since the cage you describe is very large that may be a better way.
Just make sure they baby can stay safe inside it and not get scratched or bit through it.

Also put a washcloth in each squirrels nest and daily swap them around
(so they start getting used to each others smells).

Usually 2-3 days does of this does the trick.

You may also need to create a new basket for the new guy (so the old guy doesn't feel slighted :D)

I have never had a problem and I'd say that at least 80% of my babies are solos that get formed into little batches.
I have never had any injuries or problems doing it this way. :thumbsup

If they don't take to each other though, don't risk it. :nono

psychobird
10-15-2011, 06:06 AM
Mmmmmmm, spam anyone?

Second Chance Wildlife
10-15-2011, 07:35 AM
I mix squirrels all the time of different ages and species. I have found what has worked the best is to move them all to a new cage at the same time therefore nobody has territory dominance. Make sure everybody has a their own house,pouch or hammock that has their own scent on it to go to away form the others. I watch them closely for a couple of days and have never had a problem. Of course there is always the cage bully but I have never had one acually hurt another one. I'm knocking on wood as I am typing this! LOL Right now I have grays, foxers and flying squirrels all living together in a very large indoor cage/playroom. The little cage bully...funny thing is one of the flyers!

djarenspace9
10-15-2011, 07:52 AM
Its funny that you do that, I would be scared to mix breeds of different sizes.

It made me remember though, once a local rehabber had released a bunch of flyers on her property
and the next day found one of them had snuck into the cage of the gray squirrels
and was snuggled up in the hammock with them. :D

Second Chance Wildlife
10-15-2011, 09:18 AM
This particular group was mixed very slowly over time. I do not mix flyers with grays and foxers normally. I'm not saying that they don't at times chase eachother, but they all have learned to live together pretty well. We get in so many squirrels each season we have no choice but to mix them due to cage shortages. I just mixed another rehabbers fox squirrel into a group of my 14 week old grays but then again new outside cage at the same time for everyone so nobody is territorial.

island rehabber
10-15-2011, 09:22 AM
Ditto what Second Hand said: it's all about putting them in NEW, NEUTRAL territory.
BUT, just as a caution, remember to check the kids carefully during the first few days after you combine them. There have been times when a particular cage bully will intimidate a particularly shy baby so that he/she won't leave the nest box. I have heard of rehabbers finally dragging out a dehydrated, emaciated baby who was too terrified -- or not allowed -- to come out and eat. :(

Jackie in Tampa
10-15-2011, 09:32 AM
you are getting THE RIGHT ADVISE!

I gotta tell ya...off topic sorta..
I am home bound BECAUSE of all the sqs I have currently...
I get bored with cleaning and wearing jammies every day...look like a mess..poop in my hair for days on end...
some weeks the only human s I see are Fred and whoever brings babies...
I am bored....
so,
this AM...for adventure...
I opened the door to three cages and let them all meet each other...
honestly, it sounds like kindergarten in the sq room...
:crazy :Stooges :wave :wave :chair :duel :hyper :monkey :nutkick :rock1 :eek:
so far so good...only an occasonal rumble...they are all about 2.5 months..I thnk{hell who knows anymore} I am sqly'fied...fuzz on the brain...formula fom head to toe and it's not noon yet...

EDIT...Willie is babysitting! OR herding I should say!

krawls
10-15-2011, 06:59 PM
:thumbsup Like :thumbsup