PDA

View Full Version : hi all

RatLadyofHanover
10-09-2011, 07:22 PM
hi everyone... just wanted to introduce myself. I am a first time foster parent to 3 squirrely girls...gaia, pandora, and genesis. The girls are 11 1/2 weeks old. I have acquired them from a lady who did all the hard work... feeding them round the clock since they were little pinkies but who can no longer keep them. I think i have all the bases covered... they live in a large ferret nation cage, they are getting fox vally formula and henry's blocks. They also get a variety of other foods such as squirrel mix, various nuts and seeds, rat blocks, and fresh veggies.

Over the past week and a half, the girls are taking less and less formula each time and eating more of the solids. They are getting about 2 hours a day out of cage time during which they act like caffeinated rats... running, chasing, climbing and generally wreaking havok on my bedroom.

I love them dearly in the short time they've been with me but it is clear these girls need the run of the forest. God willing, in the spring...i will release them.

I've been reading over the posts... do and don't's.. like i said, i think i have all the bases covered at the moment. Anybody wanna chime in with tips i'm all ears!

That's all for now,
thanks!

Milo's Mom
10-09-2011, 07:24 PM
Welcome to TSB!!!
There is an incredible amount of information here, so you've come to the right place!!

Oh, and by the way, WE LOVE PICS!!!!!

Nancy in New York
10-09-2011, 08:02 PM
hi everyone... just wanted to introduce myself. I am a first time foster parent to 3 squirrely girls...gaia, pandora, and genesis. The girls are 11 1/2 weeks old. I have acquired them from a lady who did all the hard work... feeding them round the clock since they were little pinkies but who can no longer keep them. I think i have all the bases covered... they live in a large ferret nation cage, they are getting fox vally formula and henry's blocks. They also get a variety of other foods such as squirrel mix, various nuts and seeds, rat blocks, and fresh veggies.

Over the past week and a half, the girls are taking less and less formula each time and eating more of the solids. They are getting about 2 hours a day out of cage time during which they act like caffeinated rats... running, chasing, climbing and generally wreaking havok on my bedroom.

I love them dearly in the short time they've been with me but it is clear these girls need the run of the forest. God willing, in the spring...i will release them.

I've been reading over the posts... do and don't's.. like i said, i think i have all the bases covered at the moment. Anybody wanna chime in with tips i'm all ears!

That's all for now,
thanks!

Welcome, so glad that you found us. How wonderful that you are helping this lady and YOU my dear are doing the hard part.....:rotfl
My only concern is their diet. What is in the squirrel mix? Nuts are almost a no no, except for the occassional hard nut which is excellent for their teeth, and once in a while an out of the shell nut. Seeds are no good, and I'm concerned with the rat block on top of the HHB.
Here is a link that will show you the best way to feed a squirrel. Trust me, many of us did exactly the same as you with the nuts and seeds.....who knew :dono :dono .
Two great links that I think you will find helpful....and good luck with your little ones. So glad to have you here!
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28009
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17557

Oh, and pictures are mandatory.....:rotfl (just kidding, but we love pictures...:D )

When you over winter, it is extremely important to feed them correctly because they are with us for many months longer as opposed to being outside where they KNOW what their body needs and eat accordingly.

chickenmom
10-09-2011, 08:35 PM
Welcome aboard...you will find the best info here!

mousehole
10-09-2011, 09:14 PM
:Welcome Very nice people here, very compassionate and knowledgeable. There are so many stories and people who love to help.:wave123

RatLadyofHanover
10-10-2011, 05:17 AM
Thanks! Nancy: the squirrel mix is the stuff you buy for feeders. It has dried corn, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and peanuts. The nuts are wild...black and english walnuts, acorns, etc. Also pinecones. Gave them some small oak branches and they immediately ate the buds and bark.

I thought the nuts were a staple of wild squirrels, especially the acorns. They do eat alot of veggies. They get quite a variety because i give them to my rats and rabbit as well.

I'll try to figure out how to get pictures on here.

mpetys
10-10-2011, 08:03 AM

That's all for now,
thanks!

Welcome RatLadyofHanover! I had a squirrel names Genesis! I called her Genny for short. She was released this summer in my backyard.

Advice - hmm. Do what you are doing, read, read and read. Go back in the different forums (nutirition is good one to start with) and read. Reading stories in the Success Stories thread is interesting and exposes you to a variety of issues with squirrels and what was done to correct it.

Again, :Welcome

squirrelsinthehood
10-12-2011, 08:11 PM
Welcome! :Welcome
Squirrels sometimes like grapes and strawberries!

RatLadyofHanover
10-13-2011, 03:51 PM
Tried frozen mixed berries..they were not thrilled. They do like apples, pears, and peaches though. Will get some grapes next time we hit the grocery store. They really like red cabbage and cauliflower. Do squirrels fart?:poke :innocent