PDA

View Full Version : hello! New here

dewgrl
10-07-2011, 07:39 PM
mjs Hello Squirrley lovers!!! I am Dew and I am new new here. I am currently caring for 2 little darling that were both rescued. One of them Mr Nibbles is about 5.5 weeks old and one of my mean kitties stole him from his nest :nono The other, Squeaks, I got from my boss' wife. Her son was out with friends and one of them shot at her. We are guessing she is about 7.5 weeks old give or take. Poor Squeaks had to go to the vet today and Doc had to amputate one of her little toes. So far she is recovering quite well although she isnt wanting to eat much and I expect that.. I am sure that little foot hurts now that the lidocaine has worn off. I will just let her rest comfy in her bed and feed her what she will take.

A little about me.. I am an animal lover.. animals of all kinds. I work in the auto parts industry and have a wonderful boss who understands that the babies have to come with me to work right now to be fed and looked after for a while. I am married to a great guy who is just as much an animal freak as me. He is just as in love with these guys as I am.

Mr Nibbles is turning into quite a piggie and is right now in a food induced coma in my lap.. I think he might have ate a little too much LOL. I cant wait till they start eating on fruits and veggies.. veggies first though.. dont want them getting a sweet tooth!!!!

sleeping koala
10-07-2011, 07:51 PM
G'day and welcome to TSB ! :)
1 of the golden rules here - have to post pics of your squirrels ! :).

Cheers
SK

dewgrl
10-07-2011, 08:06 PM
i dont know how to post photos on here :dono help

mousehole
10-07-2011, 08:10 PM
No worries sweetie, if you have an account through photobucket you can use that. If not, it's completely free so check it out. Upload the pics to photobucket and use the IMG code from your album - you can resize and crop the photos before you paste them. There's actually a topic in the Forums that goes into more details. 8)

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=81

mousehole
10-07-2011, 08:16 PM
Here's one Runestone sent of Squeakers... I miss her so much

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa326/mousehole666/Squeakers102.jpg

dewgrl
10-07-2011, 08:24 PM
http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n636/dewgrl/squeaksnjimmy.jpg
Squeaks.. we think she is a cat squirrel

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n636/dewgrl/squeaks.jpg[/IMG
Squeaks again

[IMG]http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n636/dewgrl/sleepynibbles.jpg
Nibbles after one of his first feedings

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n636/dewgrl/nibbles2.jpg
Nibbles... we think he is a foxy

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n636/dewgrl/nibbles1.jpg
Nibbles just hanging out

sleeping koala
10-07-2011, 08:30 PM
In case you are wondering why an Aussie is here on this board when we don't have squirrels ! :)
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29844

Cheers
SK

MiriamS
10-07-2011, 08:34 PM
:Welcome Your babies are totally precious and full of sweetness. It sounds like they're in great hands and doing well and obviously loved. :bowdown

Poor Squeaks! I still can't believe that people just shoot squirrels for fun. Did the vet send you home with oral painkiller and antibiotics for Squeaks? Were there any wounds on Nibbles from your cat? For example, there's a spot on his knee that looks suspicious. I ask because cat scratches and bites can be incredibly toxic to squirrels and everyone on the board has had a baby that seems to be doing okay and then suddenly goes downhill because of hidden infection. I don't mean to freak you out and please don't panic but it's possible that both of your babies should be on antibiotics, one for the cat cooties and the other for the operation. Oh and someone's going to ask but what are you feeding them?

Otherwise, keep posting pictures and you're in good company. We all talk about squirrels....about anything about squirrels...ALL day long.

dewgrl
10-07-2011, 08:36 PM
Koala.. I have been to Australia twice and absolutely loved it there!!!! I have photos of me at the Aus. Zoo with the koalas and roos hehe

dewgrl
10-07-2011, 08:47 PM
:Welcome Your babies are totally precious and full of sweetness. It sounds like they're in great hands and doing well and obviously loved. :bowdown

Poor Squeaks! I still can't believe that people just shoot squirrels for fun. Did the vet send you home with oral painkiller and antibiotics for Squeaks? Were there any wounds on Nibbles from your cat? For example, there's a spot on his knee that looks suspicious. I ask because cat scratches and bites can be incredibly toxic to squirrels and everyone on the board has had a baby that seems to be doing okay and then suddenly goes downhill because of hidden infection. I don't mean to freak you out and please don't panic but it's possible that both of your babies should be on antibiotics, one for the cat cooties and the other for the operation. Oh and someone's going to ask but what are you feeding them?

Otherwise, keep posting pictures and you're in good company. We all talk about squirrels....about anything about squirrels...ALL day long.

I took Nibbles to a local vet who fell in love with him instantly (he treats small animals and would never think of turning someone in who rescued a baby squirrel.. he praises those who help the innocent fur babies in the world). He gave him a good once over and checked him top to bottom.. gave him a tiny dose of anti for the cat scratch. Squeaks went this afternoon to meet he vet... he looked her little toe over for about 5 mins before deciding that yes it did have to come off.. there was a bit of exposed bone on each side of where the pellet had hit her foot. He numbed her up well and took a little extra bone so he could make a skin flap to cover the wound and used surgi-glue to close it all up. She has been on antis since the day I got her.. 2 days ago and will continue to be on them for at least another week.

I have had Nibbles for a week and a half now and he seems to be doing so much better now that he has a play mate. The first introduction he thought she was a jungle gym!!! When they finally passed out they curled up together and Nibbles actually put his arm around Squeaks.. as if to say. i am glad you are here and we will make it through this together with our new mommies help.

I am feeding both puppy formula the vet said is acceptable and Nibbles is gaining weight crazy fast... As I said.. Squeaks has not had much of an appetite since I got her but I am sure it will pick back up in a day or two once all the trauma has settled.

I am so glad I found you guys.. I look forward to sharing with each and every one of you guys and learning about and getting to see your babies. Its places like this that dont care if you are licensed or not and will give you all the help you need to ensure a successful happy life for these little guys that give people like me even more motivation to continue doing what we love.. caring for the innocent babies

MiriamS
10-07-2011, 11:20 PM
When they finally passed out they curled up together and Nibbles actually put his arm around Squeaks.. as if to say. i am glad you are here and we will make it through this together with our new mommies help.
Isn't it just the sweetest thing you've ever seen? I'm sure Nibbles was ecstatic to meet Squeaks and now they will both be better off having each other. For comfort and warmth and play and support when it's release time.

Oh and it sounds like you've got a wonderful vet. Just keep a watch on Nibbles in case he starts to show any signs at all that something's wrong. I'm pretty sure TSB standard protocol for cat-caught squirrels is at least a week of antibiotics. You might want to post this question in the "non-emergency" section just to be safe. The fact you have ABs on hand and got Squeaks started right away is fantastic.

Fox Valley squirrel formula is considered to be the very best because it is formulated for squirrels and it's usually cheaper than puppy formula. As long as their poops are regular and solid you might be okay.

All anyone cares about on this board is that animals are well cared for. You're awesome. Keep up the good work and welcome to "small innocent furbaby support central."

stosh2010
10-08-2011, 10:24 AM
WELCOME to TSB...and Thanks for all the Quality Care you have given your Fuzz-Heads.
From Australia to Costa Rica , we all LOVE squirrels..

dewgrl
10-08-2011, 05:10 PM
We are all home from work and are enjoying the lazy evening at home. Squeaks and Nibbles have moved into their new home. Its a 4ft tall by 3.5 ft wide and 2 ft deep condo :) There are 2 good branches in there for learning to climb and exercise plus their buffet plate of veggies they can attempt to nibble on if they desire. I put a little nest box in one corner of the condo for them and after about 20 mins of investigating and Squeaks climbing from top to bottom they are both passed out soundly. Nibbles climbed up the cage sides as well. he is such a strong little boy for being so tiny!