PDA

View Full Version : Need rehabber in Waterbury Connecticut

SquirrelRefuge
10-06-2011, 06:33 PM
I was contacted by a woman in Waterbury Connecticut who has 2 orphans that she needs to place. From the sounds of it, they are approximately 8-9 weeks. We are located in Vancouver WA so need to find a local resource. Can anyone help me located a placement?

Thanks, Jackie

pappy1264
10-06-2011, 08:50 PM
I sent this to someone I believe is in that area to see if they can help.

SquirrelRefuge
10-07-2011, 10:46 AM
Thanks! Please let me know their response. Jackie

SammysMom
10-07-2011, 12:59 PM
I believe I am the person that Pappy contacted. I'm sorry to say that I am not able to overwinter these guys due to not having a place to put them. I did send an email to someone who might be able to help, but am waiting to hear back. Also put a call in to someone who might be able to help. I will be back here as soon as I hear anything.

CritterMom
10-07-2011, 01:41 PM
How far is Chris's?

SammysMom
10-07-2011, 09:48 PM
Chris is full, but there is someone in Utica, NY is willing to take them if they still are in need. What's the scoop with them?

SquirrelRefuge
10-08-2011, 08:54 AM
The woman has had them for a few weeks and then thought she could just take them back to the park and leave them by the tree where she found them. One of them ran up the tree and the other refused to let go of her pant leg so she took it home. She felt bad for the first one and went back to the park to find it shivering at the base of the tree so she took it back. She says she cant keep them and I am afraid that is what is going to happen to them since she says she lives in the projects and clearly doesnt have the resources to do much for them. She contacted me through my web site but I am on the other side of the country. I explained to her that in order to survive, they need a soft release after they are fully weaned and explained the process. She simply doesnt have the resources to do it. I started reaching out to the list of rehabbers on the list of CT Rehabbers but so far, not even a response to my emails or phone calls.

It looks like Utica is about 200 miles away. I am not sure if she will be able to get drive that far. Sounds like her resources are very limitted.

SammysMom
10-08-2011, 10:06 AM
Oh no, I'm sorry I wasn't clear! I am trying to find somewhere for them to go and I will transport them. Please let her know that I will take them somewhere somehow, I just can't manage them for the winter myself. If I can't get someone this weekend then I will start with the DEP on Tues as Mon is a holiday. Does she have a picture of them by chance? Just to judge their true age. Thank-you for helping someone so far away from you!!!

SammysMom
10-08-2011, 08:21 PM
Anyone know wonkawillie's email address? :dono She asked me to email her because she doesn't come on to TSB often, but her settings prevent emails being sent. She is willing to help with these babies and I really need to get in touch with her.

Gina
10-08-2011, 08:53 PM
This is a longshot...last resort maybe. I have a brother in law nearRocky Hilll CT...not too far from Waterbury. He is driving to FL this week so I would need to know soon. I would be happy to take these little ones and release them with the 6 babies I am currently rehabbing. I am going to PM my cell phone number.

SammysMom
10-08-2011, 09:06 PM
Here are the pictures that the woman in Waterbury sent of the babies who need help. She said they were for the first week eating rice cereal and Esbilac and for the last week they are eating nuts and carrots etc and are not interested in formula. Though I did tell her that they still need formula, they are really getting to be too much for her. I will get them as soon as I can, but need to have a plan for their immediate future. I may try to get them tomorrow if I know someone can take them soon. I have FV and HHBs which they really need. Just no room for "wintering".

SammysMom
10-08-2011, 09:40 PM
Okay, Wonkawillie and I have made contact and are working out the particulars. Thank-you to everyone who has tried to help. Hopefully we will get these guys soon and they will go live with Wonka until it is time for freedom!:thumbsup

Jackie in Tampa
10-09-2011, 07:48 AM
:alright.gif

SammysMom
10-09-2011, 11:14 AM
Okay, Wonkawillie is willing to take these 2 babies but also okay with someone closer to CT stepping in. Is there anyone else who is interested in having extra company for the winter? I am working on picking them up today. I will have them until at least tomorrow so if anyone is interested, please let me know here or through PM.

SquirrelRefuge
10-09-2011, 11:26 AM
I just want to thank you all SO much. Being all the way across the country in the pacific northwest with no way to help these guys would have been heartbreaking. Thanks to the squirrelboard making this forum availalbe and ESPECIALLY to those of you who are doing backflips to help these little guys. I know the woman who took them in is doing the best she can for them with what she has to offer, but the odds of a 'happy ending' here were just about zero without your help! THANK YOU SO SO MUCH.

Jackie
Squirrelefuge.org

SammysMom
10-09-2011, 03:00 PM
The thanks go to you and Elba, Jackie! The little ones are here and none too pleased...lol I have been scolded and lunged at by one and the other acts like I may eat him/her for lunch.
They look good and seem to be acting fine. I am not good on ages, but to me they appear to be 8 weeks as Jackie said initially.
One had a first taste of FV and drank 1.5cc's. They have HHBs in the cage and a bowl of FV. These pics are terrible, but they are what I have so far.

Nancy in New York
10-09-2011, 03:38 PM
The thanks go to you and Elba, Jackie! The little ones are here and none too pleased...lol I have been scolded and lunged at by one and the other acts like I may eat him/her for lunch.
They look good and seem to be acting fine. I am not good on ages, but to me they appear to be 8 weeks as Jackie said initially.
One had a first taste of FV and drank 1.5cc's. They have HHBs in the cage and a bowl of FV. These pics are terrible, but they are what I have so far.

Adorable tail.....:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl
Bless their little hearts. Such little cuties, and so stressful for them right now, everything new and strange.
Bless you for picking them up and doing everything you are doing.....again!!!!
:Love_Icon :Love_Icon

SammysMom
10-09-2011, 04:23 PM
Squirrels have stolen my heart for sure!!! Thank-you for taking these little ones Nancy and thank-you to Wonkawillie for offering to take them and to Gina for offering the wonderful option of a Florida trip! TSB really is a very special place and I am very happy to belong to such an outstanding bunch of decent human beings!:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

pappy1264
10-09-2011, 07:46 PM
Way to go to all involved!!! They are so cute!!!!

SammysMom
10-09-2011, 08:07 PM
Hard to see, but HHBs seem to be an immediate hit! The bolder of the two sucked down 15 cc's of FV as well as eating an HHB while I watched. These guys will do fine!
Nancy + FV + HHBs = Healthy, happy squirrels!:thumbsup

Nancy in New York
10-09-2011, 08:31 PM
Hard to see, but HHBs seem to be an immediate hit! The bolder of the two sucked down 15 cc's of FV as well as eating an HHB while I watched. These guys will do fine!
Nancy + FV + HHBs = Healthy, happy squirrels!:thumbsup

Awe thanks....can't wait to get my hands on these little ones. Tell them that the cage is all done, except for some branches. I have a blue cube, a pink pouch, some plush carpeting and a leopard hammock. Bowls and water bottle will be added tomorrow, and toys will be added slowly. Ask them if they want any pictures hung?

SammysMom
10-09-2011, 08:48 PM
They also brought some of their own things that the nice lady who had them bought for them. They have a hammock, a little bowl etc. Do you have growth formula HHBs or would you like me to send some along with their gear? I can spare a few since Sammy isn't being too cooperative about eating them these days!

Nancy in New York
10-09-2011, 08:55 PM
They also brought some of their own things that the nice lady who had them bought for them. They have a hammock, a little bowl etc. Do you have growth formula HHBs or would you like me to send some along with their gear? I can spare a few since Sammy isn't being too cooperative about eating them these days!

Absolutely I will take some growth formula....does Sammy need some of the picky eater ones?
How nice that she sent some of the gear, that will make them feel right at home.:) :grouphug

SammysMom
10-09-2011, 09:13 PM
Sammy the fusspot has the Picky eater ones too, but thank-you. He is a big pain in the behind about eating! However, let him see you feeding the wild HIS nuts and all he!! breaks loose!:jump

Nancy in New York
10-09-2011, 09:23 PM
Sammy the fusspot has the Picky eater ones too, but thank-you. He is a big pain in the behind about eating! However, let him see you feeding the wild HIS nuts and all he!! breaks loose!:jump

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl Well then start throwing the wilds HIS HHB's....:rotfl
Oh Sammy, come on now, don't be giving your mama grey hair...:nono :)

SammysMom
10-09-2011, 09:29 PM
Nothing Miss Clairol and I can't work out:jump

Nancy in New York
10-27-2011, 10:46 PM
SammysMom, here are the babies.
I think I told you that they gave up their baba....BUT drink formula from a bowl now, thank you God....:D
I know that I sent this to you, but I just love how she sounds, and how her sister is only interested in coming out and playing....she is a little rascal I tell ya.
Oh yes, that is Fluffer in the background saying....take me back outside.:rotfl Same thing everyday....he wants out first thing in the morning, and then back in come night time....works for me....:D

VIDEO
http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv95/nancym518/Connecticut%20Babies%202011/th_MVI_1867.jpg (http://s673.photobucket.com/albums/vv95/nancym518/Connecticut%20Babies%202011/?action=view&current=MVI_1867.mp4)

http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv95/nancym518/Connecticut%20Babies%202011/waterbury120640x480-1-2.jpg http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv95/nancym518/Connecticut%20Babies%202011/IMG_1896.jpg

Can you see how her fur grew back on her belly, neck, nose, cheeks and forearms....they were completely bare....:thumbsup I even think I see a faint smile.....:rotfl
http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv95/nancym518/Connecticut%20Babies%202011/waterbury120640x480-1-1.jpg http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv95/nancym518/Connecticut%20Babies%202011/IMG_1897.jpg

Jackie in Tampa
10-28-2011, 04:56 AM
:D :Love_Icon :D :Love_Icon

SammysMom
10-28-2011, 07:09 AM
Oh Nancy they make my heart sing!!! What a different life they have thanks to you!!! Laverne and Shirley:D ?

Nancy in New York
10-28-2011, 07:17 AM
Oh Nancy they make my heart sing!!! What a different life they have thanks to you!!! Laverne and Shirley:D ?

No, this was ALL thanks to YOU!!!!!:Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon
I think there was a Laverne and Shirley not too long ago on here....keep thinking....:thinking

CritterMom
10-28-2011, 07:26 AM
Aw. How about Thelma and Louise?

Jackie in Tampa
10-28-2011, 07:35 AM
Sunny & Share...???:D

SammysMom
10-28-2011, 07:56 AM
What about Lucy and Ethel...lol?