PDA

View Full Version : raising single squirrel

kpants
10-03-2011, 12:06 PM
Hi, I hope someone has some advice! I found a lone baby fox squirrel on the sidewalk a little over a week ago, there were no other babies in sight and I dont know how he ended up where he was. Things have been going well and he appears to be very healthy and active, he's about 5 weeks old. I intend to release him, but Ive been reading that is difficult to do if they are raised alone. I asked neighbors if they had found his siblings, no luck there. Is it possible to raise him alone to be released successfully? I dont want him to be trapped in a cage, I'll do anything I can! Any tips?

kpants
10-03-2011, 12:18 PM
P.S. Are there any rehabbers in the Portland, OR area with squirrels around the same age?

Nancy in New York
10-03-2011, 12:23 PM
P.S. Are there any rehabbers in the Portland, OR area with squirrels around the same age?

I will pm a couple of members now, so check back later. Thanks for saving this little one....and you can successfully raise and release a single, they just do better with "siblings":grouphug :grouphug

kpants
10-03-2011, 12:35 PM
Thank you!!!

Nancy in New York
10-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Thank you!!!

Can you email me? This is just so that I have your email, I have a couple of questions, and you can't get pm's yet....:D
[email****[/email]

Rescue04
10-03-2011, 03:24 PM
they can be raised as a single...they just do better with a sibbling too...but the baby squirrel will be okay. thanks for saving the little one!! and giving him a chance.

Wonkawillie
10-03-2011, 08:58 PM
I have raised plenty as singles and they released just fine. I do a really slow release though, so they are really used to the outdoors before they get to be free. Each and every one of them went right to nest making and returned home each day or every other day, for about 6 weeks. They gradually slow down on the visits as fall approches, and they get overwhelmed with gathering for winter. But you have a bay in the fall? This guy will probubly need you for this winter. If the baby is 5 weeks now ( eyes open?), then he has at least 9 weeks til he is possibly old enough for release. End of November is too late for them to gather and store food for winter and they will starve. Plus this being a Foxer, i think they mature a bit slower?

Adventurista
10-03-2011, 09:02 PM
Mine is exactly the same age, a singleton, and also a foxer. We can help each other out with releasing! I think mine will be fine---we have lots of squirrels in the neighborhood and a little family with yearlings at my house already. I'm so excited to see how he does next spring!

NStuart
10-10-2011, 09:15 PM
I have a single squirrel too (Fox squirrel). I found him on Sept. 2 and I think he was about a week old then. His eyes have been I am new to this and can use all the help I can get.

I am not a licensed rehabber, but hopefully will be licensed next Spring when the state offers the class again.

I have tried contacting 4 licensed rehabbers within 2 hours of me and 3 have not returned my call, the one that did said she would take the squirrel but had to go see her mother and would get back to me when she could come get him. That was the second week of September, and now I call her twice a week and leave messages and she will not return my calls.

I figure he is now about 7 weeks old. I have him on FV 20/50. He weighs 87 grams. I give him HHB which he does not touch much at all.

Can someone tell me what to expect next. When should I start him with solid foods and what should those solid foods be? Any help would be appreciated.:thankyou

:jump :jump

SammysMom
10-10-2011, 09:23 PM
Is that your squirrel on a tree outdoors? :sanp3 Way too little to be out there yet! They can easily get startled and dash off in fear even when that young. You really want to keep this little guy safely contained until it is actually ready for release. Not trying to be bossy, but just want to help you keep your little one safe!:grouphug

NStuart
10-10-2011, 09:44 PM
Yes that was him, We were camping this weekend and took him with us. Kind of why we named him baby camper. He has been camping with us twice now. I was standing right there, so he wouldnt go anywhere. It was kind of a test to see how he would react to outside. He wont be outside again, unless in a cage.

What foods if any should I introduce him to? He is about 7 weeks old now. His eyes have been open for a week now. What should I be doing for him now?

CritterMom
10-11-2011, 05:15 AM
Just give him a fresh HHB every day and keep feeding him as much formula as he will take. Eventually he will wean himself. Don't try to do it for him - the longer they take the formula, the better. Mama squirrel doesn't let the babies out until they are 10-12 weeks old, and that is their first experience with any food besides mamas milk.

vickyjhnsn
10-15-2011, 01:48 PM
From what I read, your guy is 7 weeks right? I have five now. You can start introducing veggies if they are eating the HHB well. You can usually tell by their poop if it has different colors in it and is not all yellow. Start with celery, broccoli spears, tomatoes, alvacados (not too many, they are fattening), green beans, green bell peppers. After they are eating that, you can introduce fruit, in a couple of weeks. I use the alvacados as treats and give that to them by hand, because they are fattening and high in sugar (I think) I don't give it to them as a meal.

This link is a schedule for feeding it and I've been following it and my squirrels are doing great http://www.squirreltales.org/#Section-G

I still give them formula but using 10 syringes on three squirrels got a little ridiculous and took a long time and they fought when I was not feeding one and not the other, so I use bowls with marbles so they don't stick their noses too far in the formula. They started out sneezing once or twice but they are fine and now little pros. I feed them formula three times a day, give them two HHB per day each, and veggies. I have just started them on fruit and have given them a couple of acorns just to see what they would do with them. They are about 9 - 10 weeks and one is 8-9 weeks. I think I will be releasing them in the spring but they will stay outside in a huge release cage I'm putting up. I also have two small ones 5 weeks that are just on formula and being introduced to the HHB now.

Good luck to you. Your awesome for taking care of that little guy, they are a lot of work.