PDA

View Full Version : Rollo's big bold adventure!!

truffle
10-02-2011, 09:43 AM
Well ok took rollo outside today in his cage then let him have a wander. It's unseasonably warm in the uk at the mo, rollo obviously decided to make the most of it! He shot off into the trees and climbed and climbed so proud of him for going so high! He was so happy! Was wondering if we should leave him to it he was such a pro but this was his 1st outing he eventually came down to lots of cuddles and kisses we were going to send him to the sanctuary to be rehabbed but I'm not sure now I'm thinking he maybe happier close to us obv got to wean him off the human contact to keep him safe. But WOW am I proud of my little boy! Still cannot believe how far he's come it was touch and go wether he would make it when we brought him in a few weeks ago now he's a light in my life and I could not be happier or prouder I'm sorry for rambling but I'm basically bursting with pride I got a lump in my throat. Rollo I love you baby boy!:jump :Love_Icon

Skul
10-02-2011, 10:34 AM
If he seems to have addapted to you area, I see no problem.:)
Hope there aren't cats running free where you're at.
Keep in mind, if there are other male squirrels around, they may chase him to someplace different.

truffle
10-02-2011, 11:24 AM
Unfortunately next door have cats but the wooded area at the bottom of our garden is pretty well protected by brambles we were going to erect a nest box for him on our main tree

gs1
10-02-2011, 11:37 AM
the wild is always unsafe ...cars/guns/cats/dogs/hawks :grouphug etc.... but the woods you have sound good too.....

it will be a predator safe release cage and a soft release for him?

if he is a grey/north american squirrel? then i'm surprized that a sanctuary will take him... i thought in england they were supposed to be put to sleep. but i'm so glad if it's true that they will accept grey squirrels too.

keep him on formula as long as he'll take it ..... it builds up bone structure.

:grouphug

gs1
10-02-2011, 11:40 AM
letting him loose in the yard is never a good idea because they do shoot off and most times people cannot get them back...

also they're very vulnerable to hawks/cats at that time... before they've become accustomed to being outside full time ....

they're so excited being outside that they don't notice any dangers.

truffle
10-02-2011, 12:02 PM
He was very excited but he came in quite easily gonna take his cage outside every day and include his nest box in it so he gets used to it then eventually leave him outside later and later till he can overnight there then decrease the amount of time we spend with him then I guess nail up his nest box with his bedding in and a few twigs leaves etc and let him run free we don't get hawk but morgans dad making the box so will try to keep entrance size to a minimum for him so he's able to use it to hide

truffle
10-02-2011, 12:06 PM
And oh yeah we were suprised the sanctuary would take him but apparently attitudes are changing yay!:wahoo

gs1
10-02-2011, 12:27 PM
:)

the release cage outside has to be at least 2 meters high and 2 meters wide, he has to stay in it for several weeks ..including at night... without him being let out in the day time...

a great example is by milos mom and her boyfriend ... it's half way down this page.....

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29660&page=3

the nest box will go in there....

and later it can go into the tree ...so it has his smell.....

you can replace another nest box inside the cage in case he wants to come and sleep inside the cage at night.

the cage will have an access door for you and a tiny opening that only a squirrel can get inside... for him ... when you release him....

it will take several weeks....

as for the sanctuary .... i'd pay them several visits before you give them your squirrel you want to make sure that they have lots of grey squirrels running around and they're not taking them and feeding them to hawks etc...

(i'm sorry that sounds so bad but it happens even here in north america - so be really cautious.... :grouphug)

truffle
10-02-2011, 12:42 PM
I didn't know some centres did that! That's horrendous! I think the one by us is pretty good they are very well known and a charitable foundation started by. Wildlife fanatic lol they run a very popular blog and release in groups which are rehabbed together that's one advantage he would have there squirrel buddies to start his new life with. Cheers for warning me tho I would never have thought:thankyou

Skul
10-02-2011, 01:10 PM
Go visit the center a few times.
You'll get an even better idea how they work.
It would be great if they can help.

astra
10-02-2011, 01:43 PM
yes, that's true about the centres... since you are in England and you have a grey squirrel, I would be twice as cautious and leery of centres due to the view of the greys as "invasive species" there (totally disagree with it, but that, too, is a totally different subject). I'd just be very, very careful, extra careful

truffle
10-02-2011, 02:36 PM
The only problem we have is that before we found rollo we booked to go away this is a dream trip we planned and saved hard for and we leave at the end of october for nearly a month we have family that are happy and equipped to care for rum (degu) and raisin (gerbil) but not for rollo they are afraid about doing the wrong thing getting worried we are running out of time I reckon he will need over wintering anyway he's about 9 weeks and too young for release before the weather turns I believe. Oh I spoke to the centre they still use esbillac although they more regularly use royal canin I told them about the problems you guys have had with esbillac but I don't think they believed me they are nice but that's not the issue also they are feeding rabbit mix I told them I was advised not good but same reaction I guess they just haven't had any trouble. Yet! I wonder if one of the licensed rehabbers on here could contact them somehow I also checked and found out they do have a licence to release here as we have no red population at all in fact no natural red habitat so greys are looked on more kindly. Can someone please advise?

Adventurista
10-02-2011, 04:55 PM
The only problem we have is that before we found rollo we booked to go away this is a dream trip we planned and saved hard for and we leave at the end of october for nearly a month we have family that are happy and equipped to care for rum (degu) and raisin (gerbil) but not for rollo they are afraid about doing the wrong thing getting worried we are running out of time I reckon he will need over wintering anyway he's about 9 weeks and too young for release before the weather turns I believe. Oh I spoke to the centre they still use esbillac although they more regularly use royal canin I told them about the problems you guys have had with esbillac but I don't think they believed me they are nice but that's not the issue also they are feeding rabbit mix I told them I was advised not good but same reaction I guess they just haven't had any trouble. Yet! I wonder if one of the licensed rehabbers on here could contact them somehow I also checked and found out they do have a licence to release here as we have no red population at all in fact no natural red habitat so greys are looked on more kindly. Can someone please advise?

I like the suggestion of going to the sanctuary and seeing if they do, in fact, have grey squirrels running around. That would put my mind at ease. If they do not, then it would send up a red flag. I have to say I understand their concern---a non-native species never seems like a bad idea at first, but I have seen first-hand some of the devastation that can occur, and in some cases, it's really bad. Not saying that your squirrel is bad, just that I do understand the over-arching concern of what is going on with that, and the reasons for their rules, even if we feel that they don't necessarily apply here.

I understand exactly what you mean on the vacations. I am sitting here at home AGAIN this weekend to take care of my little guy. My husband and I are avid travellers, and this has put a serious dent in that, but it's okay (my hubs thinks I'm a nut, sure...). I gave up a big trip a month ago for him, and we do have a trip to Africa planned in a couple of months, so I've had time to line up babysitting. But doing this is much more commitment than anyone would initially guess, that's for sure.

truffle
10-02-2011, 05:48 PM
It's so wierd I feel really really bad about still wanting to go but it's thailand the land of my dreams and we have worked so hard for it. I know the sanctuary does definately have other squirrel babies they like to group rehab them it's the diet they use that concerns me! We only recently found out about the place as I too believed he would be destroyed if we didn't have him. There is no way I could have just left him and carried on walking when we found him he definately would not be walking this earth if we had not stepped in i just want what's best for him now and I believe the sanctuary would benefit from some advice from other liscensed rehabbers about diet and it would sound better coming from an expert

sleeping koala
10-02-2011, 06:18 PM
The name Rollo reminds me of the John Cleese movie "Fierce creatures " ! :)

Cheers
SK

truffle
10-02-2011, 06:51 PM
Lol all our animals names start with R its a charm! Rollos are chocolate covered caramel warm an gooey inside like our baby boy hee hee

sleeping koala
10-02-2011, 07:12 PM
One of my favourite lines from the movie Fierce creatures.
Girl - goodbye Rollo, I will miss you.
John Cleese(Rollo) - I will remind you to refer to me as the director.
Girl - I was not talking to you, I was talking to the Lemur

SK

Adventurista
10-02-2011, 07:23 PM
It's so wierd I feel really really bad about still wanting to go but it's thailand the land of my dreams and we have worked so hard for it. I know the sanctuary does definately have other squirrel babies they like to group rehab them it's the diet they use that concerns me! We only recently found out about the place as I too believed he would be destroyed if we didn't have him. There is no way I could have just left him and carried on walking when we found him he definately would not be walking this earth if we had not stepped in i just want what's best for him now and I believe the sanctuary would benefit from some advice from other liscensed rehabbers about diet and it would sound better coming from an expert

Oh, Thailand! I love Thailand---one of my favorite places on earth! Where are you going?

Could you maybe use this month to either find him a place to stay until you get back, or help your friends learn how to care for him properly?

JLM27
10-02-2011, 07:38 PM
It won't be fun for Rollo, but I learned to take care of a baby squirrel, even though I had to strictly keep him in the cage to do it as he would not let me touch him. He was in there for 30 days and came out just fine. I think if he is weaned, they can easily take care of him, and you can turn them on to us and we will coach them if they need help. You will be able to email them and even text with them from Thailand, and in an internet cafe you are likely to find a very cheap Skype phone. I was in Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam in spring 2010 and had no trouble in any of these countries keeping in touch with TSB, my partner, and my email friends. Most good hotels have free internet in the lobby.

Adventurista
10-02-2011, 09:49 PM
It won't be fun for Rollo, but I learned to take care of a baby squirrel, even though I had to strictly keep him in the cage to do it as he would not let me touch him. He was in there for 30 days and came out just fine. I think if he is weaned, they can easily take care of him, and you can turn them on to us and we will coach them if they need help. You will be able to email them and even text with them from Thailand, and in an internet cafe you are likely to find a very cheap Skype phone. I was in Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam in spring 2010 and had no trouble in any of these countries keeping in touch with TSB, my partner, and my email friends. Most good hotels have free internet in the lobby.

:goodpost Very good advice! And yes, you should be able to find an Internet cafe in most places. Even in the deepest jungle, we had cell service, too, and this was before the SmartPhone days. I am very jealous of your trip! Sounds wonderful!

truffle
10-03-2011, 03:43 AM
Hi guys it's morning here now. We are flying into bkk and spending 3 nights before flying to krabi for 1 night ferry to koh phi phi don and a night camping on maya bay (the beach from the film the beach for those who don't know) while we are there. Then onto railay then koh jum then koh lanta after that a ferry to phuket just to grab a government bus to khao sok national rainforest park to stop in a treehouse with gibbons and macaque (and tigers!) An overnight sleeper train to bkk gorgeous hotel in china town for 2 nights then home. Very very excited but got to get rollo sorted and safe or I won't rest easy!