PDA

View Full Version : Studying For The Rehab Certification Test

Mell
09-29-2011, 10:34 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions on what to study for the Certification test? I really want to make sure I am prepared. I know a ton about squirrels, but not sure what else I need to brush up on. Any books? Websites?

Thanks for any suggestions!

gs1
09-29-2011, 10:53 PM
good idea... hope some rehabbers see this for you ... but as you know it's baby season still :D :D :D

i never did the exam but one thing to remember ... (this is from one of my favourite rehabbers) ... bats are mammals.... they're not birds.... bats are mammals!!! :D :thumbsup

(she knew this but had brain exhaustion and one moment of not paying attention to what she was doing.... )

Mell
09-30-2011, 01:24 AM
Thank you for that-it made me laugh! I'm afraid I may do something similar and forget everything I know! : )

Jackie in Tampa
09-30-2011, 04:48 AM
In Fla, FWC offers a free study guide. They send it by request...
good luck to you...awesome awesome!

Mell
09-30-2011, 10:41 AM
Thanks, I will check into that.

missPixy
09-30-2011, 11:13 AM
I know in my state that the test involved calculating kcal requirements and medication dosages, as well as minimum housing standards and multiple choice questions describing various rehabbing scenarios and what you would do in each. My state also offered a study guide, and I took the IWRC's Basic Wildlife Rehabilitation Course prior to the test.

Mell
10-01-2011, 04:03 PM
Thank you, that is helpful!

My state doesn't offer a study guide, but I have found a few states that do.

Flo
10-01-2011, 07:16 PM
In NY state, in 2004 for the test to become class 1 rehabilitator ,it was 15$ for registration + 2 booklets . You have to work before the test 2 years with a rehabilitator with a licence class2 ( means they are rehabilitator for 5 years ) and we need also 2 letters of recommendation.

Here the table of contents of my examination booklet than I kept:

- desinfectants and cleanliness
- husbandry of wild species
- zoonotic disease
-food sources and feeding methods for wild species
- first aid and triage for wildlife
- mammals - taxonomy, identification, natural history, etc.
- birds- taxonomy, identification, natural history, etc.
- reptiles and amphibians- taxonomy , natural history etc.
- nutrition
-endangered soecies
- epizootic diseases
- euthanaia and disposal of dead animals
- factors in releasing rehabikitated animals ( transport, etc )
- wound management and handling of specific injuries ( eg: fractures)
-restraint and physical examination
- parasites and fecal analysis
- immunization standards : human handlers , wild and domestic animals
- environmental toxicology
- New york state and federal regulations...
- common telephone problems

That was my booklet made in may 2002 I don,t know if they change a lot of things since

Mell
10-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Oh my gosh, that was a great and very helpful post!

Thank you so much for all of the info!

psychobird
10-04-2011, 06:43 PM
state by state varies soo much, when i was getting ready to take my state test i read anything and everthing i could find
2 books that are vital for all rehabers imo are
nwra principles of wildlife rehabilitation
and the mammal book
both you can find on the nwra website
i also purchased the minnesota and ny state study guide
downloaded the maine study guide
i also got a permit package from masswildlife that gave me info on what books to study
i would poke around on your states wildlife website or call them

i would try my best to talk to rehabbers in your state and find out what they recomend
of course the conferances like nwra's and iwrc are the best places to learn and network

i know there is one coming up in new york in november, thinking about going, trying to see if i can afford it

NStuart
10-06-2011, 03:01 PM
I called to check on the requirements for licensing to rehab here in Michigan. They said I had to take a class in the spring, which is when it is offered. Then a letter from a current rehabber and a vet. :wahoo

Just wondering what else I should know so that I can get my license next spring. Anyone have any tips on what I should read and where I can get info. from?

md_lvt_cwr
10-25-2011, 10:22 PM
im in MI too. You dont need to take the class, all you need is to pass the CWR exam from the IWRC. Then call debra christenson at the DNR (517) 373 2665. She will need proof of the test pass, and then some forms and money. I just took the CWR and am waiting for Debra to call me back with final instructions. Hope this helps you.

MiriamS
10-26-2011, 12:47 AM
Wow, I"m quite jealous of those of you that just get to take the test. I've got all of these hoops to jump through with the two years and letters and course credits....

Also don't forget to make sure you know about your RVS.