PDA

View Full Version : NEW NEW NEW!

mshill90
09-29-2011, 12:40 PM
Well, I am new here, and I can tell you already that I have learned a TON just by browsing.

My fascination with squirrels is fairly new, all thanks to a little angel who blessed our lives for a few days.

I found a baby girl grey the other day sitting in the middle of the road (the area had just been flooded a few days prior).. well, the road was very busy and so my fiance stepped off the road to shoo her away but instead she ran right over to him and tried to curl up under his pant leg. She was so cold. We picked her up, went and put her in a cat carrier.. while she slept curled up in a nice thick towel, we did some research, and I immediately ran to the pet store for formula, etc.. she was estimated at about 6 weeks, but she was EXTREMELY emaciated.

She was infested with fleas, so I picked them off, and I had started feeding every 4 hours. pedialyte, and then formula. The first night she was ok.. the second day she was really really lethargic, but I kept with the feedings, which she took without issues. I did 4 hour feedings as suggested on the other squirrel board.

The 3rd day, she was limp, and couldn't even stay awake... I tried to get her to eat.. she wouldn't. She seized, and then she passed.

I took it really hard, but it didn't change that I want to help others in need. I knew she was too far to help from the start, as there was nothing to her- but I had some hope. So, we are arranging pick up shortly for a healthy 8 week old that was abandoned.. and we couldn't be more happy! '

As for more about me...

It's a zoo here.. we've got cats, dogs, reptiles, 29 turtles, and about 30 fish tanks! But, I wouldn't have it any other way! :D

And my soon to be brother in law is an exotic vet, so I'm almost all covered!

stosh2010
09-29-2011, 03:33 PM
WELCOME--WELCOME--WELCOME--WELCOME--
You found the MOTHER-LODE for squirrel nutrition and care...
sorry your little one passed...BUT she was warm, fed and loved her last days...CONSIDER the alternative.
mshill90 wrote:we are arranging pick up shortly for a healthy 8 week old that was abandoned

Please start a new thread when your squirrel arrives...and PHOTOS in the first post will make you a hero--here on TSB....

mshill90
09-29-2011, 04:27 PM
Here is the angel before she passed.

This is the day I got her.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b78/mshill90/IMG_1325.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b78/mshill90/IMG_1329.jpg

truffle
09-29-2011, 04:55 PM
Aww so sweet so sorry she died she looks like she was in a very similar state to our rolo when we found him. He did exactly the same thing to my fiance he was cycling and rolo came right out in front of him and tried to climb inside his trouser leg its so sad you were so unlucky but she must have felt so safe at the end. Rolo had seizures too fortunately we had antibiotics to hand but it was so touch and go I really thought he had no chance at all but what a difference a day makes I put a thread on here with a pic of him about 48 hours later, he's grown so much tho think I need a new photo! He's on solids and bouncy as anything we are looking at placing him with the vale wildlife centre soon so he can make some new squirrel buddies and hopefully get back to the wild :crazy

Rhapsody
09-29-2011, 04:57 PM
HI and WELCOME to TSB ........... :wave123