PDA

View Full Version : Need answers for several baby issues

CatH
09-29-2011, 10:53 AM
My baby gray was found by a guy who cut down a tree he was nested in. The baby had an obvious broken left, front arm and damage to his left ear. The arm has healed nicely and the ear will always be a little funny looking.

He is now approx. 8.5 weeks old. He is still taking Esbilac feedings 3x daily. He also eats avocado, apples, cheerios, Henry's blocks and occasionally Rodent block (which he just crumbles). He worships avocado! What is the appropriate amount to feed him? I think he is currently experiencing a stomach ache from it as he refused his last two feedings of esbilac. He will not touch cucumbers, celery, peaches or plums. Any suggestions on how to improve his diet and prevent MBD?

Here are my issues with him. I noticed he wasn't drinking out of his water bottle and seemed to be demanding more and more formula. I introduced some pedialyte and water, which he guzzled. I now have 2 water bottles in his cage in case one blocks. I cannot tell significantly that he is drinking. If so, not alot.

Over the next few days, I noticed the hair on his front feet was missing. Just on the last joint. Thinking maybe he pulled it out from dried formula? Dehydration? I do wipe him down after formula feedings since he has a handicapped arm.

Also, he has a ferret snuggle sack that he loves to sleep in. However, he pees & eats inside of it and on top of it. He will not use any other part of his cage for his bathroom. So every morning, he crawls out with a wet and irritated abdomen. I clean it gently and apply an ultra thin layer of neosporin to soothe and coat the area. How do I get him to quit soiling his bedding? He has a nest and hammock as well, but rarely chooses to sleep in it.

He is taken out daily for extended exercise and shows an abundance of energy. So that is a positive!

CritterMom
09-29-2011, 11:17 AM
My boy was a house pee-er too. I believe that once they pee in it, they continue to do so because it smells like pee. Now my little guy had a wooden nest box, so I had to completely replace it and bathe him and after that, with the fresh box, he never did it again.

I would wash his little sack within an inch of it's life - you may even want to pick up some of the urine neutralizer they sell in pet stores (Nature's Miracle) to soak it in first, then wash, wash, wash and get him all cleaned up so he doesn't smell either, and try that.

Skul
09-29-2011, 07:59 PM
I might suggest getting another ferret sack.
Gives the guy a choice.:D
If you would, please consider going over to Fox Valley for the formula.
We seem to have much better luck with that.
You might also try asparagus, brocolli, or sugar snap peas.
Ours love the peas.
If you can find dehydrated chicken at the pet store (doggy treat), get some.
They will also eat cooked chicken and egg.
The cooked chicken bones are another favorite. Thigh and drumstick work best.

CatH
09-30-2011, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the ideas! I do have two sacks so that I always have a clean one in rotation. I did get him to sample some ripe peach this morning and a little yellow squash! So things are improving on that aspect.