PDA

View Full Version : water requirements for squirrels

jennifer
03-23-2006, 08:53 PM
i dont know if i sent my letter to you or not i need to know from rehabbers how much water they require and how quickly they get dehydrated and die. the park people are taking up my waters right behind me and when i do put them out and watch the squirrels and birds are parched. squirrels take very long drinks no water is available except dirty puddles when it rains. i am going to bring this out in some way soon because i cant take it. i lug so much water have to buy new containers and i watch them take them i have pictures of them empty squirrels and birds drinking etc, i need some facts from rehabbers to help back me up if possible thanks jenny

jennifer
03-24-2006, 09:58 PM
plese someone get back to me if you can or know someone who could help. i have alot of pictures of squirrels and birds flocking to the waters. i need some facts to take to a judge or meeting with the parks dept. i know something will happen soon to push me into action thanks jennifer

muffinsquirrel
03-25-2006, 04:22 PM
OK, let me see if I have this right. You are worried that the wildlife in the park do not have enough, or any, water to drink? And when you put out containers of water for them, the caretakers come along and take them up.

They definately do need water. Is there a pond or fountain or water faucets (like you hook a hose up to) in the park? (In the park at Mobile, Alabama, the squirrels would drink from the faucets - there was usually a little water sitting in them - it was so cute.) If the answer to all of these is 'No', then there are a couple of things you might try. First, contact the Humane Society or SPCA there. If that doesn't work, write a 'Letter to the Editor' of your newspaper - there is usually a page for readers to voice their opinion on anything they want to, and you might get others interested in correcting the problem. If you have a local TV station, you might be able to interest them in doing a story on the situation. Or attend a city council meeting, and speak up there.

Whatever you do, be sure you present your views logically and not too emtionally. Keep it very businesslike, and back up what you say with pictures if at all possible. Also try to have some ideas on solving the problem, such as installing birdbaths, fountains, drip waterers, etc. The more facts and less emotion, the better. The more 'professional' you appear, the better your chances are of being listened to. Government, on any level, is very slow moving and hates changes, so this probably won't be solved overnight!

Good Luck to you. I'm sorry not to have answered earlier, but I wanted to give it some thought before I said anything.

muffinsquirrel