PDA

View Full Version : Am I over-feeding?

AlvinHarris
09-28-2011, 12:01 AM
I'm feeding Alvin, almost 9 weeks (presumably), about 7 cc's (milliliters) of formula 3 times a day (to prevent Hypolgycemia which he had once). He seems to be normal weight for his size. He doesn't appear too thin or too big. I've been reading posts by other users, however, that they are feeding their 9 week olds like 15cc's, 3 times a day?

Little Alvin has really soft yellowish poops, very often. I'm pretty sure this is a clear cut case of overfeeding, since I've started using a new measuring system with a new feeder that's more accurate (I used to just go based on what my girlfriend was giving him...by eye?).

What is normal for a squirrel his age? I'm sorry I can't give you guys an accurate weight, I have nothing to weigh him with currently.

astra
09-28-2011, 12:26 AM
I'm feeding Alvin, almost 9 weeks (presumably), about 7 cc's (milliliters) of formula 3 times a day (to prevent Hypolgycemia which he had once). He seems to be normal weight for his size. He doesn't appear too thin or too big. I've been reading posts by other users, however, that they are feeding their 9 week olds like 15cc's, 3 times a day?

Little Alvin has really soft yellowish poops, very often. I'm pretty sure this is a clear cut case of overfeeding, since I've started using a new measuring system with a new feeder that's more accurate (I used to just go based on what my girlfriend was giving him...by eye?).

What is normal for a squirrel his age? I'm sorry I can't give you guys an accurate weight, I have nothing to weigh him with currently.
in order to calculate the amount he should be eating, you need to know his weight, because a rule of thumb is to feed 5-7% of body weight.

Perhaps, you could get some scales tomorrow and weigh him?... even some food scales would do (big enough, of course)

Wonkawillie
09-28-2011, 06:34 AM
This amount does not sound like over feeding at all. My older babies are after up to 10cc. But they also eat sold food by this age too. The yellow poop nuggets sound normal also.

Rhapsody
09-28-2011, 11:38 AM
I agree.... it does NOT sound as though you are over feeding - as I feed my babies at least 4 x a day and at 9 weeks old they are eating any where from 10cc to 15cc "per feeding" depending on their weight.
...... and with solid food being added to the mix that should help keep the poop firm and some times it turns the poop brown.

Question..... do you add CREAM or GOATS MILK to their formula? - if yes, remove it and see if the that helps, as these two ingredients can cause loose poops and or diarrhea in some squirrels.

Good Luck.... :Love_Icon

AlvinHarris
09-28-2011, 02:36 PM
I agree.... it does NOT sound as though you are over feeding - as I feed my babies at least 4 x a day and at 9 weeks old they are eating any where from 10cc to 15cc "per feeding" depending on their weight.
...... and with solid food being added to the mix that should help keep the poop firm and some times it turns the poop brown.

Question..... do you add CREAM or GOATS MILK to their formula? - if yes, remove it and see if the that helps, as these two ingredients can cause loose poops and or diarrhea in some squirrels.

Good Luck.... :Love_Icon

He's actually still on Hartz Puppy Formula at the moment, I'm getting the Goat's milk formula today. But he's never had this problem before, and that's why I was confused. If it occurs, and the only thing in his diet that changes is a few solids and more formula than before (I think), I would go to over-feeding as the problem. My conclusion, anyway.

island rehabber
09-28-2011, 03:40 PM
He is not being overfed -- if anything he is being UNDERfed. My 7-weeker is taking 18-21cc three times a day. He also eats block....well, he nibbles and shreds it and plays with it, anyway. At 9 weeks your guy should be eating block and high-calcium veggies too.

The Hartz is giving him the diarrhea, and it will get worse. Get him off that junk and onto Fox Valley 20/50 and he will have golden yellow firm Fox Valley poops. Sorry to be so blunt but I have been watching Hartz Mountain sell CRAP to people who love their animals for over 30 years. They just get worse and worse....

CritterMom
09-28-2011, 03:44 PM
What IR just said. I know it is easy to find, but nothing - NOTHING that Hartz makes that is food related is anything but junk, unfortunately.

The goats milk formula - not straight goats milk but the mix of GM, yogurt and cream is a start, but you would be wise to order some of the Fox Valley. The poos will firm up and he can eat the correct amount. They blossom after they are started on this formula. Really.

AlvinHarris
09-28-2011, 09:33 PM
What IR just said. I know it is easy to find, but nothing - NOTHING that Hartz makes that is food related is anything but junk, unfortunately.

The goats milk formula - not straight goats milk but the mix of GM, yogurt and cream is a start, but you would be wise to order some of the Fox Valley. The poos will firm up and he can eat the correct amount. They blossom after they are started on this formula. Really.

I bought full fat vanilla yogurt (Dannon), goats milk, and heavy whipping cream. I will start giving this to him starting tonight. If I don't notice a different in his feces in a day or so, I'll let you guys know. So yeah, the only reason I didn't think it was the Hartz is because I noticed harder poops when my girlfriend was giving him the same puppy formula.

AlvinHarris
09-28-2011, 10:21 PM
Oh wow guys, I feel so bad for feeding him that Hartz crap. After making the Goat's formula, I realized my horrible mistake. It's so much smoother, easier to clean and easier to feed him, and he loves it so much more. He's still licking it off of his paws, which he never did with the Hartz lmao. The only bad part was the fact that the Hartz is so thick and this stuff so light, it made him spit some out of his nose, but he's alright.

This formula is a blessing. And yeah, I put in an order for Fox Valley 20/50 a couple days ago. I can't wait to see this poop! lol :multi

island rehabber
09-28-2011, 10:25 PM
I bought full fat vanilla yogurt (Dannon), goats milk, and heavy whipping cream. I will start giving this to him starting tonight. If I don't notice a different in his feces in a day or so, I'll let you guys know. So yeah, the only reason I didn't think it was the Hartz is because I noticed harder poops when my girlfriend was giving him the same puppy formula.

The effects aren't always immediate when baby squirrels get the wrong formula. Many will swear by the dreaded scalded milk recipe you see online sometimes -- yeah it works fine for about 2 weeks, and then the babies start failing dreadfully. When they die, the individuals who promote these dumb diets will swear it was "something else" that killed them: parasites, head trauma, whatEVER. It was the wrong formula most of the time. The goat's milk recipe is fine UNTIL you get the Fox Valley, which is actually cheaper than goat's milk AND the other formulas available....but so much better for squirrels. :thumbsup

Scooterzmom
09-28-2011, 10:33 PM
I just noticed the bit about him spitting out of his nose... What are you using to feed him? You should use a 1cc syringe - the kind that diabetics use. You can get some usually at the pharmacy, tell them you don't need the needle that you are feeding a tiny kitten. You can also order some nipples online which make feeding him so much easier. Be very careful as baby bottles (the tiny ones for pets) or eye droppers can be dangerous because you can't control the flow and the baby can aspirate - which can lead to pneumonia... fatal.

:thankyou for helping this baby. I'm glad to se you are doing right by this little guy, feeding him the right thing now :D

Rhapsody
09-28-2011, 11:54 PM
I just noticed the bit about him spitting out of his nose... What are you using to feed him? You should use a 1cc syringe - ....... at 9 weeks old he can be moved up to a 3cc syringe - just take it slow and use a nipple for easy feeding.

If you are ordering Fox Valley you can get "Four Paw Nipples" at the same time from Chris's Squirrel & More...
Nipples:
http://www.squirrelsandmore.com/product/840/four-paws-vet-nipples.htm
Fox Valley:
http://www.squirrelsandmore.com/product/21016/fox-valley-20-and-50-day-one-formula.htm

AlvinHarris
09-29-2011, 12:53 AM
I've been using a dropper because it worked best with the thick Hartz formula (too much always came out). I'll see what I can find at CVS tomorrow.

Rhapsody
09-29-2011, 12:56 AM
Yeah - a dropper is always a big :nono :nono as they allow for to much fluid to come out, which in turn can cause aspiration then in some cases pneumonia - :(

CVS - If nothing else ask at the Pharmacy - they will usually give you a free syringe...... :thumbsup

jakid709
10-12-2011, 06:19 PM
I am so not an expert, first squirrel I raised in 30+ years, but my 10 weeks old eats 20 cc in am and 15 in the evening, plus a couple of rodent blocks, sunflower seeds, 2 grapes, pine cone seed, 3-4 acorns, 1 pecan, a little bird food ( some day varies today, she had fresh picked bellpepper, tomatoes, cucumber and green beans, i amazed at what she doesnt eat) I clean the cage out daily, as for the last week, she has started to SQUIRREL AWAY HER EXTRA FOOD. :D Good luck, I love her so much, it will be hard to release her, but I hope to before winter. Live in S. Ga., still 85-90 here every day. Saty really warm till almost Christmas.