PDA

View Full Version : hurt squirrel

prettynmeanmom
12-29-2006, 11:41 AM
i have been feeding a squirrel for over a year okay five squirrels but this one has really bad balance when he tries to eat a peanut his head starts going back and he falls over. it has another squirrel that watches out for him,yesterday my duaghter came and got me he was twitching in the road i finally went and wrapped him up, his front leg is gashed and lame he is stuck sideways i have him in the garage keeping him warm and hes eating peanuts and walnuts and drinking out of a turkey baster i couldnt just let him die does any one know what might cause his balance issues ?please help.

henrismom
12-29-2006, 11:56 AM
Hi, I know that you are waiting for some help, and that is not my area. I just
thought that I would keep you company. I have read a lot lately about squirrels with balance trouble. Glad that you were there to help this little squirrel. Don't worry there will be people coming along soon, who can give you
all the info that you need. Wishing you good luck....:)

Mars
12-29-2006, 11:58 AM
Your baby needs help from a rehabber. Here is a link to the list, hopefully there is one near you.

http://www.paws.org/wildlife/rehabilitators/

Meanwhile keep the little one warm and quiet as you are doing. Others may be able to jump in with more help. Keep us posted.

Hope this helps.
Mars

Somebody's Mother
12-29-2006, 06:20 PM
help should be coming soon. we do have rehabbers on the board they are much more knowledgeable than me. thanks for caring.
do you have any idea of how old the squirrel is?

Secret Squirrel
12-29-2006, 06:38 PM
Hi prettnmeanmom,
I hope the squirrel is doing OK....did you try and contact the rehabbers listed in your area....they are your best bet....since rehabbers in your area can provide the emergency care this squirrel needs. There are too many questions that need answers, it will be in the best interest for your fellow to get him/her to someone ASAP!!!!! Don't wait!!!
Let us know if you have contated them yet. And what the out come has been....I saw this post earlier in the day but thought Mars gave you the best information at the time.

Squirlgirl
12-29-2006, 06:41 PM
:Welcome prettynmeanmom...which I think is a lie...you are pretty nice to take care of the squirrel in need!!! I was just going to post the same thing, Secret. I am hoping since there is no new news that it is good news!!!:thumbsup

island rehabber
12-29-2006, 06:41 PM
prettymeanmom (doesn't sound as if you are very mean at all!) -- any word on the squirrel and any luck contacting rehabbers in your area? There are a couple of us on now and we will try to help....??

squirrelfriend
12-29-2006, 07:19 PM
Hi prettnmeanmom,

I am not a vet or a rehabber though I do have three wth this "Weebles Syndrome" as I call it. I think it is a head trauma issue. I have not had any of mine get rid of the weebles but they are all doing well otherwise. they either wobble or have that Parkinsons head shake and tend to fall over. they do great otherwise and do not seem in pain. If you are capable of taking care of him keep coming back here for info on proper care and nutrition. otherwise find a rehabber. as for the gash on the arm, get that cleaned up and try to rid the guy of any parasites. washing in Dawn dish detergent will kill anything crawling n him. it has to be the blue one though. I would try to keep the detergent out of the gash though. let me know how he is doing.

Oh, you can give him a water bottle like a rabbit would use for water.

squirrelfriend
12-29-2006, 07:23 PM
check for ear infections. does he have any goo or crust in the ears? this could cause a wobble too. judging by what you say about him having a gash on the arm it is probably a trauma issue. how bad is the gash bleeding? how deep is it? does it need stitches or will it heal by itself?

prettynmeanmom
12-29-2006, 10:30 PM
well thank you all for all your help and suggustions i would love to keep him even after he bit my husband but i think that might be kinda selfish on my part i love my squirrels so much its about a year and a half old his momma is one of our regulars shes very domestic she jumps on our laps to eat hes eating sideways been giving him lots of water and keeping him warm the wild life refuge said they would take him its just so hard to give him up:( :( :( :shakehead

Mars
12-29-2006, 10:40 PM
Be brave. You are doing the right thing. He needs more help and attention than we can provide from here. You can request he be returned for release in your yard. They may be willing and able to do this. But let's see if we can get him better first. :)

island rehabber
12-29-2006, 11:05 PM
Yes, a wildlife refuge is ideal if they will treat whatever is wrong with him. Please, please, let some experts see him and help him, prettynmeanmom -- he deserves every chance he can get to be a normal, healthy squirrel. Hopefully as Mars said he can return to your yard, especially if you tell the refuge that his family is still there. But get help for him ASAP! :) :peace

squirrelfriend
12-30-2006, 06:15 AM
If you do find out what is wrong with him please let us know. As I have stated earlier I have three with this condition and would love to know what I can do for mine as well.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
12-30-2006, 08:14 AM
That would be great, Please come back and let us know prettynmeanmom:thumbsup

Secret Squirrel
12-30-2006, 09:29 AM
prettnmeanmom....you did excatly what you were supposed to do...get that child to the Dr.!!!! :thumbsup Just like good moms do. You don't sound mean to me!!:D

It sounds like the squirrel is still with you???
Is it?
If so how soon can you get it to the wildlife center???
Time is very importaint when dealing with a sick & injured squirrel. Infection can set in the gash you describe in just a short period of time.

Keep us posted on his trip to the wildlife center. Good luck and we will checking this post for more details!!!! :Love_Icon

prettynmeanmom
12-30-2006, 10:26 AM
im just waiting for a call back from sarvy his gash has healed pretty nicely it was more superficial i think his tremors or whatever has been wrong with him since we noticed him a year and a half ago is finally getting the best of the guy the momma and daddy are heathy and the other offspring all seem good i was just feeding the littlest baby out side he was waiting on the porch for me .im calling back in a half hour his eye was stuck shut this morning i put a warm cloth on it .im ready to go as soon as i hear from them.i just want the best for him .(and to all, my kids laugh at my pretty mean mom screen name too but its my story im standing mean. )lol

prettynmeanmom
12-30-2006, 10:41 AM
on our bway to sarvey!!!!!!!!!!:wott

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
12-30-2006, 10:58 AM
:wott see if he can come home to his family then after his visit.

Somebody's Mother
12-30-2006, 05:31 PM
thank you prettynmeanmom.

susanw
12-30-2006, 05:39 PM
Sounds like the little guy might have been possibly nicked by a car, if that is the case he needs help badly. Hopefuly the rehabber will be able to nurse him back to health. I wish you lots of luck, and it's amazing what rehabbers can do! I'll think happy thoughts for him and you!:)

henrismom
12-31-2006, 12:24 PM
Hi again, I was the one who said that I could not give you any advise, but was here to keep you company...Well I have been following your story, still
wishing you Good Luck....:)
You are a good momma, prettynmeanmom :D :wott