PDA

View Full Version : hello eveyone!

truffle
09-27-2011, 05:23 AM
Hi I'm tasha I live with my fiance morgan we have one gorgeous loving fat degu called rum his brother coke died sadly and they don't do well alone so he's very spoiled! We also have a gerbil called raisin an adoption who was getting beaten up by his siblings who now spends his days joyfully terrorising rum whenever possible a recent addition is rollo a young european grey squirrel reckon he's about 8ish weeks we found him shaking shivering malnurished and injured we took him in to hand over to rspca only to be told they would only take reds,the vet then told us his best chance would be if we could nurse him back to health he is now a completely different squirrel totally nuts and completely adorable we have fallen in love but know he would be happier in the wild so trying to rehabilitate him so far he is not impressed and prefers to worship the radiator lmao.rum is very jealous mom and dad have spent so much time on this stranger and spends his time glaring at the interloper and looking disgusted rofl bless! So that's me,big hello to you all hope to hear your stories soon! :wave123

Spherian
09-27-2011, 05:27 AM
Raisin, Rollo, and Rum sound adorable.
Sounds like a potential sibling rivalry down the line. Haha.
Welcome to the forum. :D~:jump

mousehole
09-27-2011, 05:35 AM
Hello Tasha :Welcome This is a wonderful board and they helped me and Squeakers so much, very caring people here. Warning - they love pics :D . Pictures let them see the condition and age of the squirrel not to mention it helps in the much needed daily dose of cuteness.:Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon

It's is so gratifying that you're willing to help the little one. Part of me understands that the grey squirrel is not native to England, destructive etc. etc blah blah blah so the centers won't assist - but the bigger part of me is screaming " He's just a wee little baby! "

I'm no expert but I think I read that the squirrels shouldn't be rehabbed back to the wild until about 12 weeks.

Love to see a picture of him, and welcome again.

truffle
09-27-2011, 05:37 AM
Thanks! We name all our babies with names begining with R for some reason this seems like a charm that keeps them healthy and they live forever lol:rotfl

truffle
09-27-2011, 05:44 AM
Hi mousehole yeah its frustrating the attitude to greys here it's not their fault they are only doing what's natural! Eek pics have no idea am on my blackberry (torch)as we don't have internet at home only just learnt how to browse etc on this so pics maybe beyond my technical abilities lol x

island rehabber
09-27-2011, 05:48 AM
:Welcome to the Squirrel Board, truffle & morgan & furkids!
Yes, we do love pix but they are not a requirement for us helping you out with any questions you have about your squirrel baby. Most important thing about raising squirrels successfully is DIET. Squirrels MUST have a high-calcium diet that is also balanced in phosphorous or they will become crippled by Metabolic Bone Disease and die -- so check out our Squirrel Nutrition Forum and bring that list with you when you go shopping :).
What is your little guy eating now, on a daily basis?

truffle
09-27-2011, 06:02 AM
Hi the vet told us to give him hamster mix he eats what he wants from that we give him bits of orange carrot (not a lot)courgette acorns wild hazelnuts butternut squash peanuts and kitten milk he also manages to steal chocolate I know I know!:nono

island rehabber
09-27-2011, 06:11 AM
Hi the vet told us to give him hamster mix he eats what he wants from that we give him bits of orange carrot (not a lot)courgette acorns wild hazelnuts butternut squash peanuts and kitten milk he also manages to steal chocolate I know I know!:nono

o-kaaaay, my friend....this is not good. :tilt :sorry
We need to get him away from the hamster mix, peanuts, kitten milk and chocolate and we need to get him on a quality rodent block such as:
Harlan teklad 2018
Kay-Tee Forti Diet Rat & Mouse
Mazuri rodent chow

and as a supplement to those, Henry;s Healthy Blocks once or twice a day (www.henryspets.com)
Can you get RoyalCanin products where you are? Their puppy milk replacer is very very good -- MUCH better than the kitten milk for a squirrel. :peace

truffle
09-27-2011, 06:20 AM
If I go to the pet store will any rat mouse food work in case I can't get the one you mentioned we do get royalcanin will get him some puppy milk the kitten milk was powder formula beaphar? Its for kittens that won't suckle how long does he need milk for when he's on solids?

island rehabber
09-27-2011, 06:36 AM
If I go to the pet store will any rat mouse food work in case I can't get the one you mentioned we do get royalcanin will get him some puppy milk the kitten milk was powder formula beaphar? Its for kittens that won't suckle how long does he need milk for when he's on solids?

RoyalCanin is WAY better. he should stay on it as long as he wants -- let him wean himself off it. It is the best thing for him so we don't want to stop it until he gives it up. Rat & mouse blocks from UK companies might be fine, we just don't know as much about them. If you post the names I'm sure we can look them up and see how their ingredients measure up to requirements for a baby squirrel. :)

truffle
09-27-2011, 07:15 AM
Thanks so much! No one in uk (pet supply vets etc) knows much about squirrel diet don't think we even have wild squirrel feed for the garden if fact a couple were threatened with prosectution for feeding squirrels. So I need to look for a good balance of phosphorus and calcium? Off into town in a mo this fella is expensive! Hope he's grateful lol:rotfl

island rehabber
09-27-2011, 07:40 AM
Thanks so much! No one in uk (pet supply vets etc) knows much about squirrel diet don't think we even have wild squirrel feed for the garden if fact a couple were threatened with prosectution for feeding squirrels. So I need to look for a good balance of phosphorus and calcium? Off into town in a mo this fella is expensive! Hope he's grateful lol:rotfl

Take the Healthy Foods list with you.....:D