PDA

View Full Version : New Squirrel Mum.

Spherian
09-26-2011, 05:22 PM
:P So my new baby is at 6 weeks..
His name is Xan Von Squirrly. We just call him Xan(Zan). He's very noisey, loves to sleep, and likes to hide deep within the blankets we give him. As I am typing this he has snuck out of his blanket and is sniffing the back of my shirt.. I don't think he realizes how obvious he is..

Anyway- I saw that there were other squirrel parents here and that questions generally got answered and discussed, figured I'd jump in on some of the action, too. I'm not new to caring for abandoned animals, but this is my first squirrel, so along with research and friendly help I'm hoping to raise a healthy little rascal.

Skul
09-26-2011, 06:10 PM
It helps if you mention the type of squirrel.
We have lots of different kinds in here.:D :poke

Rhapsody
09-26-2011, 08:36 PM
Welcome to TSB ............ :wave123

chickenmom
09-26-2011, 08:47 PM
Hi Spherian! You will find a ton of help and info here, as I did just a few weeks ago. I'm a new squirrel mom too! TSB is the best!!!!:D

:Welcome

Spherian
09-27-2011, 02:29 AM
Thanks for the welcome. :D Xan is a tree squirrel. Specifically what type of tree squirrel, I'm still finding that out. I will keep you guys updated.

Spherian
09-27-2011, 04:21 AM
Couldn't figure out how to edit my last post, so excuse the double posting this once. I have a picture of Xan to show you. :>
This is when he fell asleep on a pile of soft nuts we'd composed for him to try. He's a nibbler, and only nibbles on food before running around and going back to sleep.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c24/Lady_Nayru/Photoon2011-09-26at0827-1.jpg
He's also a dancer. Even though some sites have said not to play music around them, we had a squirrel video going on the computer and he started dancing on my keyboard to the music. It was very adorable and I wish I had recorded it.

CritterMom
09-27-2011, 04:38 AM
He's a little Eastern Gray squirrel. BTW, no nuts - not yet. Ay 6 weeks he should be eating formula only and I do hope he is eating Fox Valley. The first food you want to introduct him to is a rodent block of some kind. They need them as a staple of their diet while in captivity and they are not nearly as yummy as nuts. Wean him on nuts and he won't eat block. Wean him on block and he will eat it, with nuts as a TREAT only.

Spherian
09-27-2011, 04:46 AM
I've already taken some time to order some formula, and I've heard that Fox Valley is the way to go so I'm hoping he'll accept eating that pretty easily. Thank you for filling me in on the breed, that helps me a ton. <3 I hadn't seen anything about this rodent block until this thread, which is good to know.

The little rascal is clingy to my brother and I, but I think he's still getting used to the place and therefore hasn't been too eager to eat anything. That's what generally happens with new animals, so I'm hoping it's the same for Xan and that he'll start eating regularly when that formula comes in. [Aiming for tomorrow if the weather doesn't interfere.]

mousehole
09-27-2011, 05:25 AM
Aren't they so adorable when they curl up to nap? Squeakers use to curl up so tightly that when you cradled her in your hand she felt like a warm, breathing tennis ball. Your little man is sooo cute.:wave123

Spherian
09-27-2011, 05:30 AM
He iiiiis. x3 If we're not near his cage, he'll climb my shirt and curl up against my neck to sleep.
I'm going to post a picture daily. <- Hopefully fun, cute, or exciting pictures to show his progress.

Jackie in Tampa
09-27-2011, 06:05 AM
:Welcome :wave123