PDA

View Full Version : Need a Chicago-Area vet for my Neenah!

Scotty J
12-29-2006, 08:58 AM
Howdy, I have a 8 month old female that was brought to my home around Halloween - she fell out of a nest, broke 3 of four front teeth and has been nursed back.

She's a sweetie and I'll be keeping her, along with a male I also raised from a few weeks old that was abandoned and brought to me. What can I say, I've raised & released many wild birds, snakes, etc. over the years. I can't let them just die....

Problem? Neenah's got some dental issues that could get serious quickly. I need to contact a vet who is cool enough to work on squirrels. It's either that or have her put down, a heartbreaking thought.

Thanks for any help,
SJ

www.downpourband.net

Mars
12-29-2006, 09:08 AM
ScottyJ

Because of the laws in your state I fear you will need a rehabber with a premit to get her to a vet. The laws are much the same here in NH. Vets can not by law treat wildlife for the general public. Rehabbers must have an arrangment with a vet to maintain their permit. It sounds like her teeth need to be trimmed.

Try here http://www.southeasternoutdoors.com/wildlife/rehabilitators/illinois-rehabilitators.html

Have you thought about getting your own permit?

island rehabber
12-29-2006, 09:33 AM
Scotty have you tried these folks? http://www.exoticpetvet.com/

squirrelfriend
12-29-2006, 06:31 PM
If top teeth are missing in older squirrels, bottom teeth may often have to be snipped periodically before they grow up into and penetrate the upper palate. Sometimes top teeth will grow too long if the nose has been damaged or mashed in and the jaw juts out You should not be able to see a squirrel's teeth (or not much of them!) if mouth is politely closed. When bottom teeth are too long, squirrels can look like Bugs Bunny in reverse! Top teeth should be about 1/4th inch long, coming down from the upper gum. In the case of mouth damage, upper incisors can curve back up into the mouth, penetrating the palate, causing infection and eventually death if not corrected.

Bottom teeth may need to be trimmed, too, if overgrown, since they can penetrate into the nostrils or cause jaws to be thrown a bit out of joint. One of the signs of problematic teeth is the head being thrown back when eating or inefficient crumbling of food (not to be mistaken for the initial crumbling of nuts babies do when they are first learning how to eat solid foods). A young one with this problem cannot be released since he obviously could not survive very long out in nature.

A tool available at art stores or arts and crafts places called either a Sprue cutter or a Nipper tool or a Diagonal Cutter, intended for cutting delicate jewelry wire, has a nice sharp little V-shaped point to it that is easier to get into a squirrel's narrow mouth than fingernail clippers.

Do NOT use CAT nail clippers -- they have been known to cause splintering of teeth and ensuing infection and death.

Teeth issues don't have to be a euthanising issue. If you can't find a vet to do it you can just do it yourself. I have gotten the above info off of a site a long time ago for my Squirrelie. He ground his lower teeth down to the nubs on his cage bars even though he was rarely in it (he no longer resides in a cage). The lower teeth don't grow back now. these clippers listed above work the best. To control the squirrel better during clipping wrap them in a towel and make a squirrelito with only the head sticking out. Be very careful when doing this. make sure the squirrel is very still or you might cut something else. the squirrel will squawk. Of course he is not going to like it but it is neccessary. like taking a little kid to the dentist. I find I need to trim his every 2 to 4 weeks. I have had him for a year and four months and he is doing well so it will work.

keep us posted. I hope he does ok.