PDA

View Full Version : Two Young Flying Squirrels

snakeowl
12-28-2006, 07:31 PM
I have two young flying squirrels and am unsure if they are old enough to survive if I let them go. One wandered across my kitchen floor a couple nights ago, and the other got trapped in a wall and nearly died before I got it out. I suspect they are looking for their mama, who I caught in live trap a few nights ago in the attic. She now lives in the wood several miles from here, I'm afraid.

Doug

Mars
12-28-2006, 07:45 PM
HI and be welcome.

How big are your babies? Have been able to locate a rehabber in your area?

snakeowl
12-28-2006, 10:27 PM
They are somewhat smaller than the mother squirrel was, but look fairly mature in that they have all their fur. But they seem somewhat clumsy - that's what makes me wonder if they are mature enough to let loose.

No, I haven't been in touch with anyone close to me yet.

I've attached a photo of one next to a quarter, to show relative size.

Doug

Mars
12-28-2006, 10:43 PM
He is much to small for release. Try and check for others there may be more in the litter. Can you supply a source of heat for them? Such as a heating pad set on low under 1/2 of their containor. Give them an old tee-shirt or piece of fleece to hide and curl up in? They will need fluids.

Okay I'm throwing alot of questions at you. Your babies need help. Can you reach a rehabber in the morning? There several of us on the board we will help as much as we can.

Mars
12-28-2006, 10:56 PM
I found at least a part of the list of rehabbers in GA, I hope this helps.
http://www.southeasternoutdoors.com/wildlife/rehabilitators/georgia-rehabilitators.html

snakeowl
12-29-2006, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the list of rehabbers.

Currently the two of them are in the laundry room, which stays pretty warm. I'm guessing the nest is in the wall of my house, so I can't get to it to look for more.

Doug

Mars
12-29-2006, 08:26 AM
The one in the picture appears to be very dehydrated, Which is normal after being with out mom for a few days. You can try offering a small amount of water in a shallow bowl they may lick it. Please stay in touch. Hopefully you can reach a rehabber in your area soon.

Secret Squirrel
12-29-2006, 08:38 AM
Hi Doug,

If you don't find a rehabber quick or a wildlife vet the little fliers may parish. What kind of care are you willing to give them? As Mars stated....the need to stay hydrated. Are they drinking?

Momma Squirrel
12-29-2006, 09:18 AM
Doug, just a thought, I know baby squirrels especially baby flyers can get stressed out very easily. Not sure that the laundry room would be best, the sounds of the washer, dryer and all the noise they generate could actually stress them to the point that it would not be good. If you have some where else you could place them in your house that is a little quieter I think that would be best. Keep us posted and thanks so much for being there and taking the time to help them :thankyou

snakeowl
12-29-2006, 09:31 AM
No laundry today, so it's quiet, dark and warm. The key thing is that my dog, who seems quite certain baby flying squirrels would make an excellent puppy snack, can't get in.

The one young squirrel is spry and eats and drinks just fine. The other one, that I had to cut a wall open to get to, was nearly dead when I got it out. It wouldn't even drink. I warmed it up, and got it to take a few drops of milk (I know cow's milk is probably not the best thing for it, but it's what I had). It then revived enough to eat some apple. It still appears to be recovering from it's ordeal.

I am not able to keep these squirrels, and am currently trying to get in touch with a rehabber in the area.

Doug

Timber
12-29-2006, 12:32 PM
OMG sure wish that you were close enough to Pensacola to bring them here. I would take them in a heart beat and put all the effort needed in helping them.

Mars
12-30-2006, 11:34 AM
Doug

Any up date? How are the babies??

atlantasquirrelgirl
12-30-2006, 03:52 PM
Hi Doug,

I live in Lilburn. I'm currently in Virginia visiting family for the holiday, but will message you with a telephone number of somebody that should be able to help. She's in Snellville.

atlantasquirrelgirl
12-30-2006, 04:08 PM
Doug,

I don't want to post the telephone number on the board, and you have opted to not receive email messages. So, I just sent the info to the board admin and asked them to send it to you.

Cheri

Secret Squirrel
12-31-2006, 09:02 AM
snakeowl....what is the current situation on the baby fliers?? An update would be nice.....Lord know lots of members are bitting thier nail while we wait for a reply!!!! :hyper or is that just me :chillpill... I need some more :morning!!!
Hoping for the best....Oh yeah....cutting open he wall was a wonderful thing to do in order to save a life!!!
Becca

atlantasquirrelgirl
01-01-2007, 09:02 AM
I emailed Doug 24 hours ago, he has not yet responded. He must have found somebody else on the rehabber list that could help him.

snakeowl
01-01-2007, 09:34 AM
Thanks for all the help and assistance. I have gotten some phone calls and some good advice.

I'm afraid that the baby that fell down the wall must've gotten too stressed and it passed away late the next day. As for the remaining fellow, he is doing fine and is chipper, active and happy on a varied diet as recommended. I currently have a guest staying with me, and he is charmed by the young squirrel and has taken responsibility for its care.

I do still plan to get the young squirrel to a rehabber for eventual release, and have spoken to one about this.

Thanks!

Doug

squirrelfriend
01-01-2007, 12:13 PM
Sorry to hear about the one that fell down the wall. Glad to hear about the other one. You gotta post pics! We'd love to see how he is. What is the story on the other squirrel? feel welcome to post pics on that one too.