PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel Nails

tonyfish
12-28-2006, 03:09 PM
I am wintering over a baby squirrel that is about 8-9 months old. He is indoors in a large closed cage with a large tree branch inside so that he can climb etc.. I see that his nails are getting long and they are getting caught on objects where he has to shake his foot to try to free it. I would just like to know if we should trim them as long as he is not going to be outside immediately or do we just let them grow? We have put some sandpaper on the flat areas of the cage where he plays and sits/jumps to so that he can naturally shave them down. Is this the best plan?

Gabe
12-28-2006, 03:14 PM
Tell us a little more about your squirrel. If he was born in the spring he should have been released this fall. Does he have a medical conditon that kept you from releasing him? Are you working with a rehabber on his care? I live in NY, would area are you in?

Mars
12-28-2006, 04:17 PM
Hi welcome to the board :wave123

Is there room for a rock at the bottom of the cage? What is he getting caught on?

tonyfish
12-29-2006, 07:58 AM
There are some blanket type items inside the cage for him to build his nest. I sometimes see him pulling his "hands" away from it as if it is stuck. He was going to be released in the fall but it got too cold and he is still very small for his age. I did speak to a few rehabbers who said that they would keep him until the spring since he wouldn't have any nuts built up or a nest built outside by the time that it got cold.

Should I leave his nails the way they are?

Mars
12-29-2006, 08:36 AM
Try this. Put a card box in for him to nest in. Seal it with duct tape and cut a 3" hole in it for the door. Give him shredded paper towels, dried leaves from the yard (as long as you have not sprayed with lawn chemicals) or hay and straw from the feed store. He will build his own nest. then take the fabrics away. I use fleece for blankets, but if they have problems I take it away. Place a small flattish rock in the bottom of the cage. SHeets of bark taken from dead trees are good. That should help with the nails. He will, over time, completely destroy the box. That's part of his fun. But boxes are cheap if not free.

Hope this helps.
Mars

Weeziedasquirrel
12-30-2006, 01:04 AM
I was having the same problem with my three year old grey... I went to the pet store and bought a couple of perches. They don't have sandpaper on them but they are rough and totally non toxic.. within a week her nails were much better and she no longer gets caught on anything.

Weeziedasquirrel

susanw
12-30-2006, 05:23 PM
There are some blanket type items inside the cage for him to build his nest. I sometimes see him pulling his "hands" away from it as if it is stuck. He was going to be released in the fall but it got too cold and he is still very small for his age. I did speak to a few rehabbers who said that they would keep him until the spring since he wouldn't have any nuts built up or a nest built outside by the time that it got cold.

Should I leave his nails the way they are?

I have never cut my squirrels nails, they need them to climb and grab onto when jumping from tree to tree. I don't know if you handle your squirrel, but when I play with my permanent one, I just wear thick jeans and a sweatshirt so I don't get sliced up. Since yours is being released, I would leave the nails and replace his bed.

Marnee Axelson
01-05-2007, 02:40 PM
My Harley lets me trim hers with baby nail clippers. Just the white tips!!