PDA

View Full Version : Are there any UK Rehabbers about? / General advice on release

snickerz
09-16-2011, 01:27 PM
Hi guys!

Long story short, we took on a baby grey a few weeks ago. He's about 10 weeks old now and we need some info on releasing him back into the wild. We didn't actually find him, it was a friend who found him. Neither he nor us have really the perfect environment to release him. Back gardens are a virtually tree-free zone and we are worried someone might catch him. Our best chance would be a rehabber in the area or the same county (North East), or advice on how to release him in a different area. We do have woodlands not far from us but not in close proximity. It's just that we couldn't really keep an eye on him if we had to release him elsewhere. This area just seems pretty unsuitable as there are also a lot of dogs and streets. Can anybody help, please???

mousehole
09-18-2011, 05:39 PM
I'm hoping that someone on the board can help you, but I'm pretty sure that it'd have to be on the QT. In my research when I found my baby there were a couple of references to it being illegal to release grey squirrels in the UK because they're an invasive species. 8(

Finger's crossed that someone knows.

snickerz
09-19-2011, 02:27 PM
yes it is illegal here. We initially contacted every wildlife centre and resource we could find and nobody would take him. We didnt want to see the little guy get euthanised just for being the *wrong* colour - reds are protected here, so we took him on.

mousehole
09-19-2011, 11:12 PM
how old is the little guy?

snickerz
09-20-2011, 03:02 AM
he should be about 11 weeks old, very active and curious. Been putting his cage outside everyday, he doesnt seem to mind now but he doesnt really seem interested in the outside world.

mousehole
09-20-2011, 06:50 AM
Let me try linking this post in another thread. I'm pretty sure that there is a way to release away from home, but let's put it in the experts hands.

Pierre
09-20-2011, 12:02 PM
He's too young to be released quite yet, so that gives you some time to get help and ideas for his safe return to the wild. Thank you for saving him!! :grouphug

debrandw246@yahoo.com
11-12-2011, 03:00 PM
Hello,
Not sure where you are in the uk but we are from Wales living, at the moment in America. We are moving back but it will be a few months due to our animals. I have a friend that has over 100 acres rural. She would be very happy to have him there.