PDA

View Full Version : Anyone near Louisville, Ky?

Anabelle24
09-12-2011, 09:40 PM
I was wondering if anyone is near Louisville, Kentucky. I have a little girl who is about 6-7 weeks old. I found her when she was about 2 weeks old and have been taking care of her ever since. A tree was knocked down during a storm and I found her under part of it and I just couldn't leave her there. I looked everywhere for others but she was the only one I could find. I know how important it is for them to grow up with other squirrels so they can socialize and learn things from each other. I just worry about her growing up alone. I also have 2 dogs and live in a neighborhood where everyone around me has animals so I would not want to release her around here. I have really grown attached to her and love her to death so I am being picky about where she goes because I want the absolute best for her. There is a Vet here who said she would take her but she's the one who gave me KMR formula in the beginning and I have her on FV now and she's doing so great I am just leary about giving her to her. Everyone on here is just so nice and wonderful I'd love to give her to someone on here because I know I wouldn't have to worry about her. I just want to do what's best for her to increase her chances of survival! Thanks!!
http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j460/Anabelle814/289.jpg

DipityDane
09-12-2011, 10:02 PM
If we were closer she could come hang with our similar aged babes but we are nearly ten hours away :dono Hopefully someone close to you will show up soon.

new_squirrel_parent
09-13-2011, 01:06 AM
Hello, we live in Prestonsburg KY, recently we found 3 squirrel babies outside in my mothers yard. All 3 of them were covered in maggots and had serious injuries. We nurtured them the best we could, and cleaned them off. One of the 3 babies did not make it the first night. We have had the other 2 babies for nearly 2 months now. We have given them the puppy replacement milk formula and they have been growing just fine. We had some problems with the smaller squirrel (we named then Ernie and Bert (Ernie being the smaller). Ernie had always been smaller and didn't eat as well. He had an abscess on one of his hips, but it went away a few weeks ago and has never came back. He has been doing great and has been gaining weight. They purr when they see us and they seem pretty domesticated. I know they are young still and do not know quite what to expect. I think they are about 910 weeks old. If there is anyone close by or in the surrounding area that has more of a clue about squirrels than what I do, I would like some contact information. It has been fun wonderful and sweet to raise and care for something you knew wouldn't have stood a chance on it's own, but at this point we need some more help and insight about how to properly care for and release these animals back into the wild. If there is anyone out there close by that rehabilitates squirrels back into the wild I would greatly appreciate some information about how to get in contact with them or how we can do it ourselves. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated :) thanks!

~kim and jessica