PDA

View Full Version : Hello there, thank you so much for the help I've already gotten!

squirrelgurl
09-12-2011, 07:07 PM
Hi,
Boy, am I glad to have found this site! 2 weeks ago I was called about a baby that was found on the ground after a tree had been cut down. The guy had thought about keeping her and had her in his truck ALL day before calling me. He knew I am the animal magnet of the family and figured I'd want her. Of course I said yes. When I got her she was cold (even though the day was over 100 degrees) and soooo dehydrated! Bring on immediate heating pad and Pedialyte! Then I found your site, thank you thank you thank you for being here)! Ditched the pedialyte and used the rehydration fluid found on here, got Fox Valley and proper syringes and nipples ordered. Took almost a week and a half to get her to the point where I think she will make it, and now she's steadily putting on weight and pooing nice little pellets! She just stayed sooo dehydrated. I estimated her to be about 4 weeks when I got her, she had her bottom teeth and hair on most of her body (none on her tummy), but 2 weeks later, she's starting to get her top teeth (I can feel them scrape on my finger, but they're not real big yet) but her eyes are still closed and she is just starting to get a furry belly. She has been gaining about 2 grams a day, but she's still only at 44 grams :dono , not sure if she's on target or not. She's just so tiny! I don't have big hands (my 9 year old's hands are as big as mine already, LOL) and she fits in one hand! I will attach a pic so maybe y'all can help me with the age and maybe what breed squirrel she is? :thankyou again so much for being here as I lurked and I look forward to learning more as she grows!mjs
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/Terah79/311355_2466965158592_1386205917_33003687_156567725 6_n.jpg

ALittleNutty
09-12-2011, 07:37 PM
:Welcome

What a pretty little grey squirrel you have there. So glad you got her. I am just learning and am from down south as well. Best wishes on her continued growth and good health.

stepnstone
09-12-2011, 07:37 PM
:wave123 Glad the little one was turned over to you. :thumbsup
Looks to be a baby grey, think you might have got him younger then you thought as he looks between 4-5 weeks now in that picture. Most baby greys open their eyes at 5 weeks.

squirrelgurl
09-13-2011, 06:50 AM
Thanks ALittleNutty and stepnstone! I was thinking grey as well, but her little white hands threw me. And she's got completely clear nails too, all of the babies I've seen on here have been a lot darker. I am so totally in love with her, I've been trying to keep my distance since she was so sick, but getting up every two hours to push fluids or formula and every hour to check on her, I don't think I stood a chance :Love_Icon Weighed her this morning and she's up to 47 grams! yay!:alright.gif

island rehabber
09-13-2011, 07:06 AM
:Welcomesquirrelgurl, and good job! :thumbsup This baby must have been barely 3 wks old when you got her, and you were able to get her over the most difficult part of rehydration, etc. If she still tends to get dehydrated, she may be one of those kids who needs a little "snack" between meals of homemade Pedialyte or other hydrating fluids. Some will be that way for awhile, then they straighten themselves out. She looks good for what she's been through, poor sweetie. We are so glad you found us, and that you found us to be helpful!! :thumbsup

ALittleNutty
09-13-2011, 07:07 AM
Went back to look at the white paws. Still thinking a grey, she's just special! Grow little one grow!

squirrelgurl
09-13-2011, 11:17 PM
Thanks island rehabber! I've been keeping a close eye on her hydration, but her pee output is excellent (usually pees before and after feeding) and the tent test is almost nonexistent now. When I first picked her up she was so wrinkly and when I'd pinch between her shoulder blades the skin would stay up for 30 seconds :shakehead . I went ahead and ordered HHB's so I'll have them on hand when she's ready. She's starting to get more feisty at feeding so that makes me happy too! Weight today is up to 50 grams! Still small I think compared to the weights I've read for her age, but I'll take the improvement!
ALittleNutty, she sure is special! Her tail is such a pretty silver color right now, I really hope it stays that color! I'll take more pics tomorrow and share with y'all! Keep cheering for her! It helps!:wahoo