PDA

View Full Version : an introduction

pittieluv
09-12-2011, 05:43 AM
Hello, I would like to introduce myself. My name is kristin I live on long island (non friendly squirrel location ) In April of this year I had my very first interaction and completely fell in love with a baby of about 2-3weeks old. He was alone and cold and dehydrated. Luckily I found this site and was able to care for him sucessfully. At about 12 weeks we started a very slow release process. He would come back for food and to sleep untill he finally started to make his own nest. He had a run in with another squirrel and had a small scrape on his tail. He was bleedeing so I kept him in for a week to heal. He went out adventuring again. Then one afternoon my son called and said he was in his outside cage all day. I knew something was wrong so I raced home. He was in his bed, when I took him out he had his toe caught in a hude spring! I was able to pry it apart and free him (he was soo greatful). So his toe looked completely crushed and I knew he must have been in pain and should be on meds. That is when I frantically tried to find a vet to help me..not one would put aside their stupid rules to do the right thing. I finally had to turn him over to a wildlife rescue. I am still crying daily missing him. I was so affraid they would put him down. So far I am allowed once a week to check up on him..not good enough for me to be honest, but my constant emails to check on him got on their nerves as I was asked to keep inquiries to once a week..gah,, He is STILL with them. His toe fell off and they told me after about a month they had to amputate some of his tail. Then they said they r waiting for him to "wild up" a bit more. I will hopefully get an update today, even though I was supposed to wait 2 more days to check in..I can't. My fear is that they will end up euthanizing him, I have begged them (even tried offering money) for them to please return him if they feel euthanizing is in his future. They tell me they believe he is releaseable, however if they decide no, they will not give him back to me..rules, laws blah blah..again, whats wrong with doing whats right as oppossed to following every stupid rule?! Wondering if anyone here has ability, authorization to take him if they decide to kill him?/ I would honestly do ANYTHING to ensure he lives! I could go on and on here. I am pleased I found this site, but was unable to post or message when this happened so I was unable to get the help from all the pros here. I am severely suffering from "empty nest syndrome" however will stay on here as I find some comfort reading all the posts, I miss my lil papa more than I can even described. Thanks to all of you here for what you do!

island rehabber
09-12-2011, 05:56 AM
Hi Kristin :wave123 (waving from across the LI Sound) and happy you finally got through the system here :).
What you are describing is typical by-the-book procedure in New York State and I doubt if it will change anytime soon. Moreover, at this point it's doubtful that a rehabber would step in for you because if that rehabber is suspected of harboring an NR, her/his license will be in jeopardy as well. In NY we are only allowed special permits to keep non-releasable "education animals", and must produce evidence (school seminars, speaking engagements etc) that we are using the NR for that purpose. Do people get around this law? All the time....but they already know you. :( What facility is he at? Maybe one of us knows someone who knows someone.....
Have you reached out to Barbara at the Squirrel Sanctuary in Westbury? She'd be my first hope....:)

pittieluv
09-12-2011, 06:02 AM
Hello, and thank you.. He is with volunteers for wildlife. They are currently in lloyd harbor, but are moving to someplace in western nassau soon. I was confident about them untill a friend told me she once volunteered to feed babies, and when winter time came she said they euthanized the babies because they couldnt release till following spring, so hearing that put me back into a panic state..where I currently stay.

island rehabber
09-12-2011, 06:11 AM
Hello, and thank you.. He is with volunteers for wildlife. They are currently in lloyd harbor, but are moving to someplace in western nassau soon. I was confident about them untill a friend told me she once volunteered to feed babies, and when winter time came she said they euthanized the babies because they couldnt release till following spring, so hearing that put me back into a panic state..where I currently stay.

That's what I was hoping to hear. They are a GOOD facility; don't panic based on one story. I know someone there. :D

pittieluv
09-12-2011, 06:14 AM
OO thank you thank you, that alone is comforting, I sent an email to squirrel santuary to ask if In case needed, would they take him. Thank you again

island rehabber
09-12-2011, 06:31 AM
:) Meanwhile, we are desperately in need of more licensed rehabbers on Long Island.....how about it, pittie? :D

pittieluv
09-12-2011, 06:36 AM
Indeed it was my very first thought after I found out the rules here in ny. I was heavily involved with pit bull rescue until about 2 years ago. I am definately feeling that itch to rescue again. I guess first step would be to find a rehabber to volunteer for, yes?

island rehabber
09-12-2011, 07:17 AM
Indeed it was my very first thought after I found out the rules here in ny. I was heavily involved with pit bull rescue until about 2 years ago. I am definately feeling that itch to rescue again. I guess first step would be to find a rehabber to volunteer for, yes?
Yep...although I never really did. So many rehabbers in the city work from their small apartments (like me) and really have no room for volunteers. I got my license when I had what I THOUGHT was a NR, and nobody was gonna tell me I had to give him up :D. But he released himself and I went on to rehabbing many more. :crazyAnyway if you PM me with your location, I can give you some names of rehabbers local to you who might need help :thumbsup.

By the way: if you're intrepid enough to deal with pit bull rescue, squirrel rescue will be a walk in the park. :)

stosh2010
09-30-2011, 10:05 PM
What's the word from the rescue place ?? Have you gotten any update on his condition?? Not knowing is so hard...

Jackie in Tampa
10-01-2011, 07:16 AM
:jump
:Welcome :wave123

pittieluv
10-02-2011, 12:42 PM
My lil Papa is finally FREE!! One of the volunteers told me she released him in her yard, said she has seen him out there and when she approches he runs away!....She will also be releasing a litter this week and be looking out for everyone throughout the winter... I am very happy! hope he does well, he was definitly a fighter!