PDA

View Full Version : We now have squirrel #3.

chickenmom
09-11-2011, 06:54 PM
Recap real quick. We found squirrel #1 (Spock) last Thursday evening under the big tree out back. Island rehabber guessed he's around 8-9 weeks. He is doing well at this point and very happy, starting to eat veggies. Yesterday, we found #2 under the same tree, extremely malnourished, gave him pedialyte, had to pry his mouth open with my finger to get the drops in, he was taking it, but was just too far gone. We lost him around 2:30 AM.

So now, its 4:30 in the afternoon, I'm in the yard happily typing on the Squirrel Board and I hear a LOUD distressed squeaking noise. I thought...that's a very odd sounding bird. I glance over, the chickens are pecking the dirt, its not coming from them. So I walk off the deck...yep...same tree...I find Squeaky just sitting there on the ground.

He is small and skinny. Dehydrated but MUCH more coherent than #2 was. He drank pedialyte immediately from the syringe, without my forcing it. He is curled up on the heating pad and Spock is currently cleaning him.

I am absolutely sure they are all from the same litter. What is going on? Did the mom bail? I think Spock is doing well, because we found him last Thursday. 2 and 3...obviously have been hungry for a few days longer. I havn't seen the fat parents at all...and we usually have quite a circus in our yard, due to the fact that we have free range hens and chicken food out.

I had no idea that squirrels squeaked!!! He even let one out on the bed a few minutes ago....but once I put Spock under the blanket with him, he settled right down.

Could there be more? Raining down from this giant tree???

Nancy in New York
09-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Recap real quick. We found squirrel #1 (Spock) last Thursday evening under the big tree out back. Island rehabber guessed he's around 8-9 weeks. He is doing well at this point and very happy, starting to eat veggies. Yesterday, we found #2 under the same tree, extremely malnourished, gave him pedialyte, had to pry his mouth open with my finger to get the drops in, he was taking it, but was just too far gone. We lost him around 2:30 AM.

So now, its 4:30 in the afternoon, I'm in the yard happily typing on the Squirrel Board and I hear a LOUD distressed squeaking noise. I thought...that's a very odd sounding bird. I glance over, the chickens are pecking the dirt, its not coming from them. So I walk off the deck...yep...same tree...I find Squeaky just sitting there on the ground.

He is small and skinny. Dehydrated but MUCH more coherent than #2 was. He drank pedialyte immediately from the syringe, without my forcing it. He is curled up on the heating pad and Spock is currently cleaning him.

I am absolutely sure they are all from the same litter. What is going on? Did the mom bail? I think Spock is doing well, because we found him last Thursday. 2 and 3...obviously have been hungry for a few days longer. I havn't seen the fat parents at all...and we usually have quite a circus in our yard, due to the fact that we have free range hens and chicken food out.

I had no idea that squirrels squeaked!!! He even let one out on the bed a few minutes ago....but once I put Spock under the blanket with him, he settled right down.

Could there be more? Raining down from this giant tree???

Yes there could be more. Same thing happened to me years ago...and I too thought it was a bird. BUT there were 7 eyes closed babies up in my pine tree with their dead mama.:shakehead They are screaming because they are hungry. Warm them up before feeding....:)
I will bet that something happened to their mama, and they are coming down because they are hungry....poor little peanuts. Listen for more, but this may be it.:grouphug
Opps....I see you are already doing everything right.... :D

SammysMom
09-11-2011, 07:07 PM
Isn't that squeak something else?!!! When I tried to reunite Sammy by putting him in a box attached to the tree I thought he fell from, I was amazed be the squeaking he did. I was so sure mom was going to come find him, but no she didn't.
The funny thing is that he sometimes does it now if I do something that separates him from me when he isn't ready for it...lol He is a year old!
I would keep an eye out for any more raining from your tree, but you may well have them all. You just want to be sure.
So glad they found you!

Adventurista
09-11-2011, 07:14 PM
I wonder if the mama got hit by a car or something? Can you get up to the nest? Would be nice to save as many as you could if there are more.

Can I also say how sweet it is that the brother is grooming...animals are so wonderful. Bet they're happy to be reunited. :Love_Icon

My baby has only squeaked twice: first, when my husband picked him up. He obviously does not have the touch! :) Second, when I accidentally overslept the second week....eeek, I felt like such a horrible person! He really let me have it!

chickenmom
09-11-2011, 07:15 PM
Isn't that squeak something else?!!! When I tried to reunite Sammy by putting him in a box attached to the tree I thought he fell from, I was amazed be the squeaking he did. I was so sure mom was going to come find him, but no she didn't.
The funny thing is that he sometimes does it now if I do something that separates him from me when he isn't ready for it...lol He is a year old!
I would keep an eye out for any more raining from your tree, but you may well have them all. You just want to be sure.
So glad they found you!

Thank you.:) He is warming up on the pad with Spock. I'm hoping for the best, but not gonna get my hopes up too much after I was hysterically sobbing last night after losing #2.

Scooterzmom
09-11-2011, 07:15 PM
They will squeak when they're scared/terrified, or hungry, or lonely. It's basically a call for mama's help, like a human baby crying for mama... poor little things.

chickenmom
09-11-2011, 07:17 PM
I wonder if the mama got hit by a car or something? Can you get up to the next? Would be nice to save as many as you could if there are more.

Can I also say how sweet it is that the brother is grooming...animals are so wonderful. Bet they're happy to be reunited. :Love_Icon

I can see the nest. But it is way up in the top skinny branches, in this huge tree. I just hope this is all of them now. I'm sitting in the yard listening...

SammysMom
09-11-2011, 07:18 PM
Yeah, they are a love at first sight kinda critters! Warm warm warm then hydrate hydrate hydrate...
You know the drill since you are succeeding with #1! TSB is the best place you could be for the best info you could get! Welcome!

chickenmom
09-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Yeah, they are a love at first sight kinda critters! Warm warm warm then hydrate hydrate hydrate...
You know the drill since you are succeeding with #1! TSB is the best place you could be for the best info you could get! Welcome!

Thanks! I am so lucky to have found you guys.

4skwerlz
09-11-2011, 08:14 PM
Wanted to mention that a baby that's been without food that long can't wait another 24 hours while you rehydrate them. They can go into hypoglycemic shock and die. Usually they get started on slightly watered down formula right away, with extra fluids in between as needed.

Sorry about the other baby. I know it's heartbreaking.:grouphug

SammysMom
09-11-2011, 08:16 PM
Thank-you 4S! I don't want to give bad or incomplete info!:thankyou

chickenmom
09-11-2011, 08:32 PM
Wanted to mention that a baby that's been without food that long can't wait another 24 hours while you rehydrate them. They can go into hypoglycemic shock and die. Usually they get started on slightly watered down formula right away, with extra fluids in between as needed.

Sorry about the other baby. I know it's heartbreaking.:grouphug

I actually tried to give him a bit of formula, but he wasn't taking it. I will keep trying of course and thin it out a bit. He's not taking anything right now, I think he's still in shock from the initial transition. Should I be forcing it a bit more?

Thank you...your info is extremely helpful.

4skwerlz
09-11-2011, 08:45 PM
I actually tried to give him a bit of formula, but he wasn't taking it. I will keep trying of course and thin it out a bit. He's not taking anything right now, I think he's still in shock from the initial transition. Should I be forcing it a bit more?

Sometimes when they've been without food that long, it's hard to get them "restarted" eating. They resist and refuse.

How dehydrated is he? (does he fail the pinch test?) and is he nice and warm?

Can you post a pic?

Nancy in New York
09-11-2011, 08:47 PM

What I would do, is hold him and let him get really comfortable with you. Hold him in something like a fleece and just sit down with him. Stroke his little head, and talk quiety to him, and make sure no animals or other people are around where he can see movement, even dim the lights a little. Have the syringe ready and try seeing if he will latch on and start sucking. He does need nourishment as 4S said. Cover his whole head with the fleece if you have to, I actually had to do that with one of my traumatized squirrels. She ate fine even with me holding her, as long as she couldn't see me....:rotfl Just give slowly though...:grouphug

chickenmom
09-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Sometimes when they've been without food that long, it's hard to get them "restarted" eating. They resist and refuse.

How dehydrated is he? (does he fail the pinch test?) and is he nice and warm?

Can you post a pic?

He failed the pinch test. He is nice and warm. He's on the pad in bed with Greg, covered up. We keep trying to get him to eat, but he seems to be drifting off. Twitching his legs a bit. We're trying!!:thankyou

SammysMom
09-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Make sure formula is also very warm. Maybe just drop by drop will get him started?
Experts?

4skwerlz
09-11-2011, 08:57 PM
He failed the pinch test. He is nice and warm. He's on the pad in bed with Greg, covered up. We keep trying to get him to eat, but he seems to be drifting off. Twitching his legs a bit. We're trying!!:thankyou

Is he fearful? Read what Nancy wrote about covering his eyes if he is. Also what she said about stroking/holding. Let him feel your heartbeat. They shut down and need stimulating. You can rub a little molasses, honey, or pancake syrup on his gums for a quick blood-sugar boost. Then get a drop of formula in his mouth, from the side. Then a drop of fluid. Drop by drop.

Nancy in New York
09-11-2011, 10:06 PM
You know, I just read where you are thinking they are 8-9 weeks old? Try giving him a small piece of nut, just to pique his interest. Just watch that he doesn't choke on it, and no peanuts, unless that is all that you have.

SammysMom
09-11-2011, 10:16 PM
pecan flavored Ensure maybe?:dono

jo_schmoe
09-11-2011, 11:44 PM
Is he fearful? Read what Nancy wrote about covering his eyes if he is. Also what she said about stroking/holding. Let him feel your heartbeat. They shut down and need stimulating. You can rub a little molasses, honey, or pancake syrup on his gums for a quick blood-sugar boost. Then get a drop of formula in his mouth, from the side. Then a drop of fluid. Drop by drop.:goodpost :goodpost :goodpost
This is exactly how I pulled an emaciated squirrel out it.
You guys remember Baby Jude....a 6 week old fox squirrel....last one out of his nest too. I did not expect him to make it...but he did. And its because I did everything exactly as 4skwerls has posted!
Be patient...and remember...he's terrified so keep talking to him and holding him...but every single drop you get in him counts.

chickenmom
09-12-2011, 09:44 PM
He didn't make it. We had him in bed with us all night, up and down taking shifts. We lost him around 5 AM. I'm so exhausted and just got home from work. This weekend has been emotionally and physically draining to say the least.

I think I should've given him the formula first, but I didn't know. Gave him the pedialyte and he drank it. He was thirsty. Had I seen 4S's post sooner I may have been able to save him, by switching off drops. I think he went into shock, he was seizing.

I'm super bummed out and feel like a huge piece of S**T.

4skwerlz
09-12-2011, 10:14 PM
He didn't make it. We had him in bed with us all night, up and down taking shifts. We lost him around 5 AM. I'm so exhausted and just got home from work. This weekend has been emotionally and physically draining to say the least.

I think I should've given him the formula first, but I didn't know. Gave him the pedialyte and he drank it. He was thirsty. Had I seen 4S's post sooner I may have been able to save him, by switching off drops. I think he went into shock, he was seizing.

No, you did right. You give fluid first.

I never expected this one to live. I remember thinking at least he got to snuggle with his sibling and know some warmth and care before he went. The odds were against. Sometimes you get a miracle; sometimes not.

POS, no way. You're an angel. A warrior. The foe is death and we don't always win.:grouphug

jo_schmoe
09-12-2011, 10:20 PM

Whatever you do....don't beat yourself up.
Giving the formula first would have actually done harm. You always have to hydrate first. You did everything right...he was just too far gone.
Being there to calm the fear of death for any creature is just as important as saving its life. Thats what you did...you kept him warm...quenched his thirst and allowed him to go with love.

chickenmom
09-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Thanks. Your replies just made me cry again....but in a good way. I'm just so tired. Need to sleep. Meanwhile Spock is in my top sleeping between my boobs. What is the deal with that anyways? Does that mean he's a boy? LOL...he just goes right THERE...every time I pick him up!!!! Silly squirrel.

4skwerlz
09-12-2011, 10:41 PM
Thanks. Your replies just made me cry again....but in a good way. I'm just so tired. Need to sleep. Meanwhile Spock is in my top sleeping between my boobs. What is the deal with that anyways? Does that mean he's a boy? LOL...he just goes right THERE...every time I pick him up!!!! Silly squirrel.

:) :) :)
Just think where this one would be without you. You did good.

chickenmom
09-12-2011, 10:44 PM
:) :) :)
Just think where this one would be without you. You did good.

We're gonna do our best to give him the best life ever. We sure will try! Thank you.....