PDA

View Full Version : To cover or not to cover?

cmullet
09-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Hi! Have a cutie pie here, she is about 6 weeks old and doing great. i have her in a wire cage now and was wondering should i keep the cage covered all the time? Or do i take the towel off for periods during the day so she can look around? (she is inside)
Thanks!

ALittleNutty
09-11-2011, 04:21 PM
Please tell us what kind of cutie you have. Pics? :)

Rainy9
09-11-2011, 04:28 PM
It depends. Is she in her own quiet room?

If she isn't, I would be a bit hesitant...but this depends on how she feels about humans. She might not mind at all.

If she is in her own room, you ought to let her decide.

Take the cover off and monitor her behavior. Does she seem more frightened than usual?..that sort of thing.

Go with the flow! :)

Nancy in New York
09-11-2011, 06:18 PM
Hi! Have a cutie pie here, she is about 6 weeks old and doing great. i have her in a wire cage now and was wondering should i keep the cage covered all the time? Or do i take the towel off for periods during the day so she can look around? (she is inside)
Thanks!

What size cage do you have her in. She is still quite small at 6 weeks, I hope it's a small cage with spacing no more than 1/2 inch apart. We need pictures....:D We love to see all of the babies...:grouphug
You can cover half of the cage so she can decide which she likes better.:D

cmullet
09-13-2011, 10:01 AM

she is in a small hamster cage and seems to be doing fine.
just started feeding her grapes, apples and avacodo and ordered monkey chow and some bones for her.
Thanks !

astra
09-13-2011, 10:21 AM
what a cute little thing!:Love_Icon :)

At 6 weeks she still needs to be on formula. This is the time when first solid foods are only begin to be introduced, but her main staple should be formula.
What formula is she eating?

You probably know already about Fox Valley.
She should be on formula for as long as possible, never wean her, let her wean herself, and even then try to sneak some of it into her food (e.g., ppl mix it with yogurt, sprinkle, it make BooBalls etc).
It is strongly recommended that the first solid food be a good quality rodent/squirrel block. Both - the block and the formula will be her insurance against MBD.
If she gets a squirrel block as her first solid food, it will almost guarantee that she will like it and will eat it for the rest of her life.
After she starts eat the block willingly, good green veggies should be introduced. Fruit and nuts - are treats only.

Squirrels have very specific nutritional needs, and to meet those needs a very specific diet is needed, consisting of a good quality squirrel block + good green veggies, some fruit and a couple of nuts per day as treats.

A good squirrel block - Henry's Healthy Block - can be purchased at www.henryspets.com, or there is a homemade recipe for it in Nutrition Forum as well. All ingredients are available at henryspets.com as well.

Some people also use Mazuri, Kaytee, Harland Teklad etc.
But HHBs are, by far, most squirrels' favorite.

THere is tons of info in Squirrel Nutrition forum: healthy diet for pet (captive) squirrels etc etc etc.
:grouphug

iluvbabysquirrels
09-13-2011, 11:41 AM
:goodpost :goodpost :goodpost it taught me alot!!!! ou should check it out!:thumbsup