PDA

View Full Version : I think he's constipated.

chickenmom
09-10-2011, 05:04 PM
He hasn't gone to the bathroom since we found him, on Thursday night. Island Rehabber guessed he is around 8-9 weeks. He is taking the Esbilac well, but I'm concerned as he doesn't want to eat any munchie food at all. He ate a couple raisins and nuts Thursday night.

Should I take him off the esbilac? I was gonna run to whole foods for some goats milk and veggies.

He doesn't seem lethargic, he wants to run around a bit and act squirrly, but he also naps a lot. Is this normal?

BTW...I am a HUGE worry wart.
Thanks for the help!!!:D

jo_schmoe
09-10-2011, 06:25 PM
How does his belly look?
Is he pear shaped and does his tummy feel tight when you tough it?

chickenmom
09-10-2011, 06:42 PM
How does his belly look?
Is he pear shaped and does his tummy feel tight when you tough it?

Thanks Jo. No, his belly feels warm and gushy, not bloated.

jo_schmoe
09-10-2011, 06:43 PM
Thanks Jo. No, his belly feels warm and gushy, not bloated.
Good! Now...have you checked his cage? The normally start going on their own about the time they open their eyes. Maybe he is going and you dont know it.

chickenmom
09-10-2011, 06:46 PM
Good! Now...have you checked his cage? The normally start going on their own about the time they open their eyes. Maybe he is going and you dont know it.

Yes, and no poop. No wet spots either. He has spent a lot of time with me in my lap and in my bed and nothing. Neither myself or my boyfriend have even been peed on.

jo_schmoe
09-10-2011, 06:50 PM
And nothing in 2 days??? :thinking
hmmmm....lemme see if I can get more of an expert on here.
You would think if he hasnt relieved himself for that long...he would be showing signs of discomfort.
Anything unusual?

chickenmom
09-10-2011, 07:01 PM
No, he seems really spunky and OK. I've been feeding him every 4 hours or so, he will take about a teaspoon out of the syringe at a time. He'll run around a bit after feedings, then nap. He seemed a bit shaky earlier, I thought he was cold, put him on the heating pad (he hates the heating pad) and he'd rather just burrow in the blanket.

chickenmom
09-10-2011, 07:03 PM
I went and got a rabbit litter box today, put it on the opposite corner of his food and water. Trying to give him options LOL.

chickenmom
09-10-2011, 07:04 PM
Also...I bought some goats milk. Should I try it or continue with esbilac?

jo_schmoe
09-10-2011, 07:05 PM
No, he seems really spunky and OK. I've been feeding him every 4 hours or so, he will take about a teaspoon out of the syringe at a time. He'll run around a bit after feedings, then nap. He seemed a bit shaky earlier, I thought he was cold, put him on the heating pad (he hates the heating pad) and he'd rather just burrow in the blanket.
Theres the problem....He's HUNGRY.
If he is a 9 week old fox squirrel...he needs a lot more to eat than 1 tsp ever 4 hrs. Thats only about 5 ccs. He needs 5-7% of his body weight per feeding. So at 9 weeks....Im guessing he weighs a lot more than 100 gms.
Can you weigh him?

CritterMom
09-10-2011, 07:09 PM
Usually esbilac causes diarrhea. And yes, I would get him off the esbilac and preferably on Fox Valley.

If he was very dehydrated and had been without mom for a while when found, he probably just hasn't caught up yet. Did you rehydrate him when you found him? If you did not, and just started formula, you might want to give him feedings of rehydration fluid in between his regular formula feedings for a while.

I see these on here all the time - and they almost always are not constipated; they just don't have enough food built up in their systems to go yet.

jo_schmoe
09-10-2011, 07:09 PM
Also...I bought some goats milk. Should I try it or continue with esbilac?
Mix the goats milk as per the recipe states. If using canned evaporated goats milk...make sure you add equal parts water to the milk....then its back to it original goats milk state. You will need to add the yogurt but wait on the cream a minute. You will take this mixture and slowly transition him to it. Mix about 3/4 old formula 1/4 gm formula. Next feeding up and so on.

jo_schmoe
09-10-2011, 07:12 PM
Usually esbilac causes diarrhea. And yes, I would get him off the esbilac and preferably on Fox Valley.

If he was very dehydrated and had been without mom for a while when found, he probably just hasn't caught up yet. Did you rehydrate him when you found him? If you did not, and just started formula, you might want to give him feedings of rehydration fluid in between his regular formula feedings for a while.

I see these on here all the time - and they almost always are not constipated; they just don't have enough food built up in their systems to go yet.
Im looking back to see how much my foxers weighed at 9 weeks.
I think the whole problem is he is being underfed.
Off the top of my head...I wanna say that my guys were eating 15 ccs or so at each feeding at that age. Every 4-5 hrs.

chickenmom
09-10-2011, 07:15 PM
Theres the problem....He's HUNGRY.
If he is a 9 week old fox squirrel...he needs a lot more to eat than 1 tsp ever 4 hrs. Thats only about 5 ccs. He needs 5-7% of his body weight per feeding. So at 9 weeks....Im guessing he weighs a lot more than 100 gms.
Can you weigh him?

I don't have a scale. Maybe I should try to feed him every couple hours instead? I've been giving him as much as he wants so far.

Right now I have another issue. Greg just walked in the house with another baby squirrel!!! He was wobbling around under the tree, seems to be in shock, no broken limbs, but I need to have another look. He is on a heating pad now.....UGH...really???? Wow. I can't believe this!!

jo_schmoe
09-10-2011, 07:23 PM
I don't have a scale. Maybe I should try to feed him every couple hours instead? I've been giving him as much as he wants so far.

Right now I have another issue. Greg just walked in the house with another baby squirrel!!! He was wobbling around under the tree, seems to be in shock, no broken limbs, but I need to have another look. He is on a heating pad now.....UGH...really???? Wow. I can't believe this!!
Oh my!! Do they look close in age?
Ok, I just looked back and at 9 weeks my guys weighed about 250 gms and ate about 15-18 ccs per feeding. They were trying to ween at this time as well.
I'd get some more food into him...so if you have to increase feedings until he gets used to it...try that...but honestly I really think he just needs more to eat.
In the meantime...with this new baby....warm, hydrate and feed. In that order.

chickenmom
09-10-2011, 07:31 PM
Oh my!! Do they look close in age?
Ok, I just looked back and at 9 weeks my guys weighed about 250 gms and ate about 15-18 ccs per feeding. They were trying to ween at this time as well.
I'd get some more food into him...so if you have to increase feedings until he gets used to it...try that...but honestly I really think he just needs more to eat.
In the meantime...with this new baby....warm, hydrate and feed. In that order.

Thanks! Yes they are definately siblings, found under the same tree, same size. The new guy is on the heating pad and I just put spock on there with him. Oddly this is the first time spock stayed on the pad! They are snuggling. New guy is in shock...he won't take anything from the syringe. I will keep trying. :thankyou

chickenmom
09-10-2011, 07:37 PM

Thank you Crittermom! He wasn't terribly dehydrated IMO, we did the skin pinch test and he seemed fine. No fluids coming out the nose either.

Ordered the Fox Valley, ordered some growth blocks from Henrys too. Thank God for you guys and this forum!

I bought goats milk in a carton from whole foods. I need to go find that yogurt now. Can I give hm the goats milk straight now?

Now I'm trying how to deal with his little sibling we just found 20 minutes ago. We might need some prayers for this lil guy right now.

CritterMom
09-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Warm him slowly first, then rehydrate for a while before you begin food. Having another little one for him to snuggle is good.

chickenmom
09-10-2011, 08:06 PM
Warm him slowly first, then rehydrate for a while before you begin food. Having another little one for him to snuggle is good.

Thank you, I'm so worried. I put them both in the cage together. Spock is snuggling him. I can't get him to drink and I think my constant checking him is stressing him more. I'm gonna open a beer and let them be for 20 minutes. I think I'm the one that needs to settle down.

BTW...I had put them both on the heating pad, walked away for 10 minutes and new guy crawled off of it. First real movement I have seen in this guy. Hoping he recovers...

jo_schmoe
09-10-2011, 08:11 PM
. I'm gonna open a beer and let them be for 20 minutes. I think I'm the one that needs to settle down.

LOL. I like the way you think!
Keep trying to get some fluids in the new one.
Try wrapping him up like a burrito and speak very softly to him....pet his head. Let him know he's ok.

chickenmom
09-10-2011, 08:28 PM
LOL. I like the way you think!
Keep trying to get some fluids in the new one.
Try wrapping him up like a burrito and speak very softly to him....pet his head. Let him know he's ok.

LOL...of course...he's getting plenty of head petting.:D Greg just went to the store for pedialyte. I won't be able to sleep tonight until he is petting my head with his little squirrel hand. He's pretty skinny compared to his brother. I need to get this lil bug up and goin...wish us luck!

jo_schmoe
09-10-2011, 08:33 PM
LOL...of course...he's getting plenty of head petting.:D Greg just went to the store for pedialyte. I won't be able to sleep tonight until he is petting my head with his little squirrel hand. He's pretty skinny compared to his brother. I need to get this lil bug up and goin...wish us luck!
I know THAT feeling!!! Please just let us know how he is doing. You know....an every 5 minute update isn't too much to ask right?? :rotfl
Start this new guy out on the goats milk and no Esbilac.
Did you get the yogurt?

chickenmom
09-10-2011, 09:00 PM
I know THAT feeling!!! Please just let us know how he is doing. You know....an every 5 minute update isn't too much to ask right?? :rotfl
Start this new guy out on the goats milk and no Esbilac.
Did you get the yogurt?

New guy is drinking the pedialyte!!!! I have to pry his jaw open with my finger, but once I get the syringe in there he drinks like a champ. Then he gets tired and we have to rest a minute or two. I reckon we won't be sleeping tonight. He is really skinny. I need to get a pic....hang on....

jo_schmoe
09-10-2011, 09:04 PM
New guy is drinking the pedialyte!!!! I have to pry his jaw open with my finger, but once I get the syringe in there he drinks like a champ. Then he gets tired and we have to rest a minute or two. I reckon we won't be sleeping tonight. He is really skinny. I need to get a pic....hang on....
:jump :fireworks :fireworks :jump

chickenmom
09-10-2011, 09:14 PM
Napping between drinks. We're gonna get this guy movin.....

chickenmom
09-10-2011, 09:18 PM
Jo...how often should I be forcing the pedialyte? Every 10-15 minutes? I feel like I'm wearing him out. He is definately drinking it, because I can see is chompers moving and feel his belly going. But alot of it is dribbling down his chin. Poor soggy little dude....and he is so sleepy.

island rehabber
09-10-2011, 09:24 PM
Every hour or two, I would say. You don't want to stress or bloat him. Slowly is the key word here. :peace

jo_schmoe
09-10-2011, 09:24 PM
Jo...how often should I be forcing the pedialyte? Every 10-15 minutes? I feel like I'm wearing him out. He is definately drinking it, because I can see is chompers moving and feel his belly going. But alot of it is dribbling down his chin. Poor soggy little dude....and he is so sleepy.
He may need to warm up a bit more.
How much fluids do you think actually went in him?
If you got a good 3-4 ccs in him...let him rest and warm up.
Getting wet will stress him out and also make him cold.

chickenmom
09-10-2011, 09:35 PM
He may need to warm up a bit more.
How much fluids do you think actually went in him?
If you got a good 3-4 ccs in him...let him rest and warm up.
Getting wet will stress him out and also make him cold.

Its hard to say, because I only have a big syringe at this point....I would say maybe a tsp got in him so far...and he is very willing to swallow tiny drops. Seems thirsty but so weak.

Damn Petco and petsmart...no small syringes. I have a bunch on order. One drop at a time....we're getting there! I used a turkey injector with the needle removed to get squirrel #1 up and running though.

Thanks so much for your help...seems like it takes me 20 minutes to reply every time because I'm running back and forth so much!

jo_schmoe
09-10-2011, 09:45 PM
Its hard to say, because I only have a big syringe at this point....I would say maybe a tsp got in him so far...and he is very willing to swallow tiny drops. Seems thirsty but so weak.

Damn Petco and petsmart...no small syringes. I have a bunch on order. One drop at a time....we're getting there! I used a turkey injector with the needle removed to get squirrel #1 up and running though.

Thanks so much for your help...seems like it takes me 20 minutes to reply every time because I'm running back and forth so much!
Well...then just relax....give him a rest....and breathe! I know exactly how you are feeling! Im worse when it comes to the first day with babies!!!
Main thing right now is that he keeps warm...and calm. Same goes for you.

chickenmom
09-10-2011, 09:49 PM
Well...then just relax....give him a rest....and breathe! I know exactly how you are feeling! Im worse when it comes to the first day with babies!!!
Main thing right now is that he keeps warm...and calm. Same goes for you.

Sometimes I wish I wasn't such an animal freak. Its so hard sometimes and people think I'm weird for it. They don't get it. *sighs*.:shakehead

jo_schmoe
09-10-2011, 09:55 PM
Sometimes I wish I wasn't such an animal freak. Its so hard sometimes and people think I'm weird for it. They don't get it. *sighs*.:shakehead
Oh WE get it.....and I can speak for everyone this time. We TOTALLY get it!!
You are talking to a lady that turned her brand new rec room...complete with fireplace and skylights into a squirrel habitat! Ive never even got to use the room. :thinking

chickenmom
09-10-2011, 10:02 PM
Oh WE get it.....and I can speak for everyone this time. We TOTALLY get it!!
You are talking to a lady that turned her brand new rec room...complete with fireplace and skylights into a squirrel habitat! Ive never even got to use the room. :thinking
:rotfl I was just telling Greg today how we need to make the living room into a giant squirrel jungle gym. But modern. LOL!

jo_schmoe
09-10-2011, 10:30 PM
:rotfl I was just telling Greg today how we need to make the living room into a giant squirrel jungle gym. But modern. LOL!
Hows the new guy doing? ( I have the patience of a 4 yr old)
We need to get you some smaller syringes. Did you say you ordered some?

chickenmom
09-11-2011, 09:42 AM
We lost the little guy last night. I got up at 2:30 to check him and he was gone. I think he suffered a pretty bad fall and was in terrible shape when we found him.

Yes, I have syringes on order, Thanks Jo.

Still no poop from Spock. He just had some goats milk formula and another piece of kale...

jo_schmoe
09-11-2011, 09:48 AM
We lost the little guy last night. I got up at 2:30 to check him and he was gone. I think he suffered a pretty bad fall and was in terrible shape when we found him.

Yes, I have syringes on order, Thanks Jo.

Still no poop from Spock. He just had some goats milk formula and another piece of kale...
You know what.....try some watermelon. Might give him enough fluids to get things rolling again.
Good to see he is eating solid food!!
You can also try some cheerios but I found that shredded wheat squares are accepted easier.
Im sorry to hear about the brother. :sad

CritterMom
09-11-2011, 10:08 AM
I'm so sorry for the little one.

Go directly to your pharmacist. Tell him or her that you are trying to foster a newborn kitten that has been regected by the mom and you desperately need, at the largest, a 3cc syringe, and if they have 1cc that would be even better. I rased my squirrel on syringes from the pharmacy at the local grocery store...never paid for one and they gave me dozens. They are disposabe and not nearly as good as what you ordeed, but much better than what you have now. A little bit of vegetable oil rubbed on the black rubber tip on the plunger will make it work a little more smoothly.

chickenmom
09-11-2011, 05:22 PM
Watermelon...great idea. He's going for the sweet potatoes more than the leafy greens now.

As far as the syringe goes, I'm afraid he won't get enough from the smaller ones? He attacks the larger one with both hands and pulls on it, sucking (very loudly LOL) and chewing. He's been getting a good tablespoon at each feeding today.

I really need to get him to poop. Our main bathroom is pretty big, I closed the shower and toilet lid and he's loose in there now. Maybe he needs more space to do his business!

Calling the vet in the AM, but won't be able to take him till Tuesday morning and I'll have to take him to work with me that day.

Thank you all so much for your support and help...you guys are THE BEST!!!!!:grouphug :grouphug

HHRP
09-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Please be very concerned about keeping squirrels :shakehead in the bathroom. I lost one that way. I told my husband time and time again to make sure he shut the lid on toilet seat because our lil baby was starting to climb out of tub. Yes, this was my first squirrel experience, and I didn't have a cage and I thought the more room the better. WRONG! I came home from my sons baseball game and he was floating in the toilet dead. Very VERY devistating. So please if you can avoid keeping them in the bathroom. Just because you remember to shut the lid doesn't mean the next person will!:shakehead

Adventurista
09-11-2011, 06:14 PM
Please be very concerned about keeping squirrels :shakehead in the bathroom. I lost one that way. I told my husband time and time again to make sure he shut the lid on toilet seat because our lil baby was starting to climb out of tub. Yes, this was my first squirrel experience, and I didn't have a cage and I thought the more room the better. WRONG! I came home from my sons baseball game and he was floating in the toilet dead. Very VERY devistating. So please if you can avoid keeping them in the bathroom. Just because you remember to shut the lid doesn't mean the next person will!:shakehead

Thank you, thank you for this. I had just decided that the bathroom might be a very safe room for my boy. How many times have I asked my husband to please close the lid (I just think it's so unsightly...I'm a priss). Of course, I won't be able to keep the baby in the bathroom. Why didn't I think of that? :sanp3

jo_schmoe
09-11-2011, 08:07 PM
Watermelon...great idea. He's going for the sweet potatoes more than the leafy greens now.

As far as the syringe goes, I'm afraid he won't get enough from the smaller ones? He attacks the larger one with both hands and pulls on it, sucking (very loudly LOL) and chewing. He's been getting a good tablespoon at each feeding today.

I really need to get him to poop. Our main bathroom is pretty big, I closed the shower and toilet lid and he's loose in there now. Maybe he needs more space to do his business!

Calling the vet in the AM, but won't be able to take him till Tuesday morning and I'll have to take him to work with me that day.

Thank you all so much for your support and help...you guys are THE BEST!!!!!:grouphug :grouphug
That why you get a bunch of them....and have them all ready to go.
I kept my filled syringes in a warm sock buddy to keep their temp. Worked like a charm.