PDA

View Full Version : A little worried about aspiration pneumonia

eklong86
09-04-2011, 03:48 PM
Hi! My name is Emily and I am a registered veterinarian technician. I love my job at the small animal practice I work at and I frequently rehab little babies that are brought in to us by our concerned clients. My little pinky squirrel blew bubbles out of his nose during his last feeding. I immediatly held him up side down for 10 seconds and allowed the milk to drain. I am concerned that he will develop aspiration pneumonia and was wondering if anyone can give me the dosage for injectable baytril to give orally. I left my rehab book at work, and the building is locked over the holiday and I have no key. I am pretty sure Baytril is preffered over Clavamox if one is concerned about aspiration pneumonia. Immediate response would be great!!!

island rehabber
09-04-2011, 06:42 PM
Emily, Baytril IS recommended over Clavamox and Sulfatrim for aspiration pneumonia. In fact, I have watched pinkies with pneumonia come around and even cease clicking after only 1 or 2 doses of Baytril.
That said, blowing bubbles out of the nose does not mean automatic pneumonia, and I would not recommend medicating this baby yet. If you followed the procedure you described, she should be okl. If not, as someone who primarily rehabs pinkies (1 day - 2 wks old) I strongly recommend Baytril for aspiration pneumonia. It's still the big dog, and it does not cause GI upset either. :peace

Skul
09-05-2011, 08:16 PM
:wave123 Ek86
Please let us know how things are going.