PDA

View Full Version : Hello From Cheerios!

maddalana
09-01-2011, 10:17 PM
Hi, everyone! I think this is where I should introduce myself and my new baby.

Basics are: I am a 24 y/o retail worker who sells video games for a living, loves her kitties, and loves learning new things. And with a new baby squirrel in my life, I am certainly learning quite a bit!

The Story:
My mother found Cheerios on the carport barely moving and with a bloody nose. There was a small puddle of blood under the poor baby. I checked all over for wounds and found none. I looked all over the web and called all the vets and they all suggested a head first fall from the nest. I looked for other babies, but found none. Not even a fallen nest. I called the DNR and our local national parks and found out that no one in the area "had the time" to rehab a squirrel. Cheerios has been with me for two days now and is doing great. No more bloody nose, eating very well, and going potty. :)

Cheerios:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/--iUpYZtyxM4/Tl-e0i0FSII/AAAAAAAAAJ4/HWwKKX4LvpA/s576/11%2B-%2B1

I believe Cheerios is 5.5-6 weeks old. Please correct me if I am wrong. Tail curls up on back and bottom teeth are in and top are out.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-SeXSrXJVvZ0/Tl6TlzivfdI/AAAAAAAAAJQ/TDDbnb2E9pQ/s512/11%2B-%2B1

I am temporarily feeding Cheerios powdered cats milk (I know Esbilac is best, but no one in town had it and my vet suggested it). I have ordered Fox Valley and will continue to feed with that. I am interested in Squirrel Blocks-Growth Formula. If anyone knows anything about this please let me know!

I plan on going to Lowe's tomorrow to pick up some supplies to build a cage for the baby. Very excited and looking forward to learning so much more.

Rhapsody
09-01-2011, 10:24 PM
Actually FOX VALLEY is BEST ---- Esbilac is old school - yesterdays news and there have been way to many problems & deaths with it --with in the last few years for US here at TSB to recommend it any more.
I would advice you get the HHB Squirrel Growth Blocks and start them right a way for a healthy Squirrel and Balance Nutrition..... along with Wild Plants, a variety of Vegetables, a few Fruits and Shelled Nuts at the end of the day.

Link: (fox valley & hhb)
http://www.henryspets.com/

Food Link:
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28009

hammyhobby
09-01-2011, 10:27 PM
Cheerios is so cute! I'm raising my first squirrel too! Aren't you glad we found this place? I've already learned so much and I've only been a member for like 24 hours!

maddalana
09-01-2011, 10:31 PM
Thanks, Rhapsody!

I have both Fox Valley Day-One Formula for Squirrels 20/50 and Squirrel Blocks-Growth Formula on the way.

I visited the site you have listed in your signature and found the feeding schedule very helpful.

maddalana
09-01-2011, 10:34 PM
Cheerios is so cute! I'm raising my first squirrel too! Aren't you glad we found this place? I've already learned so much and I've only been a member for like 24 hours!

I am just so smitten by Cheerios. As any human would be. And I AM very glad I found this site! I wasn't finding the information I felt like I needed until I happened upon this site! I like knowing there are so many people around that I can ask for help, as there is no one in my area that will.

Rhapsody
09-01-2011, 10:36 PM
I visited the site you have listed in your signature and found the feeding schedule very helpful.Glad My Site could be of HELP..... thats what its there for -- :thumbsup

maddalana
09-06-2011, 11:22 AM
It's been a few days now since I became a squirrel mommy and everything seems to be going alright. I feel like I could be doing something a bit better though.

My order for FV and Henry's Blocks came in today and Cheerios seems to really like his FV and is slowly nibbling away at one of his blocks. Last night, he had two pieces of pecan and a cheerio and now he has solid poop! I have been feeding him SMALL amounts of water in between feedings since I cannot locate a small bottle of pedilyte in my town.

ALSO: I have to make more FV at a time than I would like because it is difficult to mix properly otherwise. Are you able to store the extra until the next feeding (4 hours)?

He is still in his small tote, but now has some pet bedding (the recycled newspaper kind) that he buries himself in now. I have a heating pad underneath the tote and turn it on every time I feed him. He has a warm bottle of water wrapped in a towel as well for extra warmth when the heating pad is not on. We even got him a small little house to hide in.

I plan on building him a cage as soon as I am able to financially (should be a week or two). I still feel like I have NO idea what I should put in it though. I know I need a clean branch for him to climb on because BOY does he love to climb his 6'3" tall daddy.

Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated. I just think there's so much more that I could do for him.

Video HERE (http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/so_chemical/?action=view&current=2011-09-05_22-34-58_326.mp4).

lila01
09-06-2011, 11:44 AM
Yes you can store the left over FV in the fridge after feedings! I think it's good up to 48 hours! Sounds like you and he are doing great! Keep up the good work

JakesLittlePrincess
09-06-2011, 11:51 AM
:Welcome & Hello! TSB is the place for squirrel lovers to be!! Your little one is a cutie!

SammysMom
09-06-2011, 01:03 PM
:Welcome What a little cutie pie you have there! FV will be a great addition as are the blocks! You will have a healthy growing fuzzer in no time. I did notice that said you only turn on the heating pad at feeding. You really need to have one that does not have the auto shut-off and leave it on low under only half of his container (so he can get off it of it gets too warm for him) all the time until he is a little older. Warmth is very important when they are still little guys and especially when they are alone (no sibs)

maddalana
09-06-2011, 11:15 PM
Right now I do have one of the auto-off pads. :( I am going to look around the house and see if I can find one of the older ones that don't shut off.

I don't think he can quite figure out how to go about eating the blocks yet, but I can tell he's been trying!