PDA

View Full Version : Help with my new baby :)

chelsmccomas
08-30-2011, 02:45 PM
Hello all!

I have been mothering a baby squirrel (Conquer) for the last 72 hours. I have done enough reading on this site (which I love by the way) to gather enough info on how to begin care. I rehydrated him, he is now pottying #1's, no bm yet though! His eyes opened yesterday, and we like to let him be active for a few minutes after feedings. However, he is a little clumsy and wobbly. This is normal for his age correct? From what info I read I am guessing he is 4 weeks?

Also, is it normal for them to simply eat and then want to sleep all the time? And he also seems like he twitches (weird body movements) every so often. Is this normal? Just making sure I am up to a good start! Thank you everyone!

momma2boo
08-30-2011, 02:51 PM
Hello all!

I have been mothering a baby squirrel (Conquer) for the last 72 hours. I have done enough reading on this site (which I love by the way) to gather enough info on how to begin care. I rehydrated him, he is now pottying #1's, no bm yet though! His eyes opened yesterday, and we like to let him be active for a few minutes after feedings. However, he is a little clumsy and wobbly. This is normal for his age correct? From what info I read I am guessing he is 4 weeks?

Also, is it normal for them to simply eat and then want to sleep all the time? And he also seems like he twitches (weird body movements) every so often. Is this normal? Just making sure I am up to a good start! Thank you everyone!

However, he is a little clumsy and wobbly. This is normal for his age correct? From what info I read I am guessing he is 4 weeks?

I would say yes ... absolutely normal and 4 weeks sounds about right.

Also, is it normal for them to simply eat and then want to sleep all the time? And he also seems like he twitches (weird body movements) every so often. Is this normal? Just making sure I am up to a good start!

Eat, sleep, and potty ... Yep! Sounds about right. They grow and mature QUICK and sleep helps that to happen.

We don't know what the twitches are from but it is absolutely normal. I would like to believe they are dreaming but obviously I would have no possible way to know that. It just sounds cute.

You're doing a great job.

What are you feeding this precious baby, what does he weigh, and <ahem> :worthless :poke

Welcome to TSB ... you will find a wealth of information here.

chelsmccomas
08-30-2011, 02:57 PM
I definitely have to post pics! I unfortunately am not one of those people who have even a camera phone lol. And digital cam will be baught soon! My facebook doesnt even have recent pics lol. But I am feeding him esbilac puppy formula and still have been putting half formula and half pedialyte. Thought this may be a good idea for the next day or two instead of water? Or can it harm him? Also, glad you asked because I have been confused about if I even should be diluting his formula? He has been drinking aprox. 5cc every 4 hours but seems to be starved by his next feeding time. What should I do?:dono

Jackie in Tampa
08-30-2011, 03:23 PM
:Welcome
welcome..
please do not make formula using pedialyte...
the two different fluids are used to do two different things...
they should never be mixed.
Eyes open usually 4.5 weeks old with grey sqs...
can you weigh him?
Ideally you would be feeding him 5-7% of his body weight...
Glad you have found TSB...it's the best place for sq info!
:wave123
Thank you for helping Conquer:Love_Icon

momma2boo
08-30-2011, 03:25 PM
I definitely have to post pics! I unfortunately am not one of those people who have even a camera phone lol. And digital cam will be baught soon! My facebook doesnt even have recent pics lol. But I am feeding him esbilac puppy formula and still have been putting half formula and half pedialyte. Thought this may be a good idea for the next day or two instead of water? Or can it harm him? Also, glad you asked because I have been confused about if I even should be diluting his formula? He has been drinking aprox. 5cc every 4 hours but seems to be starved by his next feeding time. What should I do?:dono

1) Thank you so much for loving him
2) Please don't continue to give him the Esbilac and definitely don't mix the pedialyte with the formula. As long as he is not dehyrated he does not need more hydrating fluid. He will get plenty of fluid in the formula.
3) Please order Fox Valley formula. You can purchase it several places (http://www.squirrelsandmore.com/category/7460&cfid=9525731&cftoken=68117785/fox-valley-nutrition-products.htm; http://foxvalleynutrition.com/prod/details.asp?CID=1&PLID=1;http://www.henryspets.com/fox-valley-day-one-formula-for-squirrels-32-40/)

You definitely want the 32/40 formula to feed your baby boy.
MEANWHILE, please feed him the Goat's milk replacement until the fox valley arrives. Here is the recipe:

Temporary Formula for Infant Squirrels – The Goat’s Milk Formula

Because of recent manufacturing issues, Esbilac and other puppy formulas are no longer being recommended for squirrels or other wildlife. The formula that TSB recommends, Fox Valley Day One, is currently available online at www.foxvalleynutrition.com and www.henryspets.com. But those require shipping and this baby squirrel needs food NOW.

3 parts goat’s milk
1 part heavy whipping cream*
1 part vanilla yogurt

Formula will last 48 hours in refrigerator.

Goat’s Milk
This can be purchased at natural food stores such as Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods, and at most health food stores that sell groceries. It is a product for humans. Do not substitute commercial formula made for baby goats or other livestock sold at feed stores.

Goat’s milk is available fresh in a carton; evaporated in a can; and as a powdered milk. If you purchase either the evaporated or powdered versions, please blend them with water according to the package directions before using to make the formula.

Heavy Whipping Cream
This is found in small cartons in the grocery store near the coffee creamers and half and half. Regular heavy cream may be substituted if it is unavailable, but the heavy whipping cream has the highest fat content, and is preferred.

Yogurt
Yogurt has beneficial bacteria in it that soothes and settles digestion. Full fat yogurt is best, and a good choice that is very widely available is Stoneyfield Yobaby yogurt. However if it is unavailable, a low fat vanilla yogurt may be substituted. Avoid those that have artificial sweeteners in them. Vanilla and banana are both popular flavors, and the sweet taste of the yogurt helps to convince the baby to accept it.

It has been recently discovered that very small pinky squirrels may do better digestively if, instead of being given Fox Valley formula straight, mix the Fox Valley 50/50 with the Goat’s Milk Formula assembled WITHOUT the heavy whipping cream.

*It is recommended that when just starting to feed a new baby that the first feedings be made without the heavy whipping cream. This will give their digestive systems a chance to acclimate from mama’s milk to our substitute without the harder-to-digest whipping cream. Once they accept the formula and are eliminating properly, the whipping cream can be gradually added in.

When your Fox Valley formula arrives, please transition your babies to the new formula slowly, by blending the Goat’s Milk Formula with the blended and liquefied Fox Valley formula, increasing the ratio of Fox Valley with each feeding until you are no longer using the goat’s milk.

chelsmccomas
08-30-2011, 03:37 PM
Thank you all sooooo much for all the help!!!! You all have been more than helpful!!!:bowdown :thankyou

momma2boo
08-30-2011, 03:57 PM
Thank you all sooooo much for all the help!!!! You all have been more than helpful!!!:bowdown :thankyou

Are you anywhere near Daytona Beach, Fl? If so, I would gladly give you some Fox Valley formula an o-ring syring or two and a nipple or two to get you through until you order some.

Let me know. I am here to help.