PDA

View Full Version : When will baby start eating hard food?

Lolie
08-27-2011, 06:09 PM
Flower now named Ruby is mobile and crawling and starting to nibble on my fingers and her eyes should open any day now. I put a mazuri lab block next to her n she started licking it. When will she start eat eating hard food and wean off the formula?

Busysqrl
08-27-2011, 07:12 PM
I assume Ruby is a squirrel? Baby's don't normally completely wean themselves from formula until 11 to 14 weeks old. Some wean earlier than that, but 11 to 14 weeks seems to be the norm. I'd keep whatever type of rodent block you're going to feed her in with her. It can't hurt her. She won't eat it til she's ready, but it gets her used to the smell of it. Continue to offer her formula as long as she will take it. She will wean herself.:grouphug :grouphug

Lolie
08-27-2011, 09:08 PM
She actually started "running" around today and held her tail up in the questionmark pose for the first time and was chewing on my nails. So I grabbed one of my rats lab blocks and she smelled it and nibbled on it and licked on it.

UDoWhat
08-27-2011, 10:16 PM
I assume Ruby is a squirrel? Baby's don't normally completely wean themselves from formula until 11 to 14 weeks old. Some wean earlier than that, but 11 to 14 weeks seems to be the norm. I'd keep whatever type of rodent block you're going to feed her in with her. It can't hurt her. She won't eat it til she's ready, but it gets her used to the smell of it. Continue to offer her formula as long as she will take it. She will wean herself.:grouphug :grouphug

Continue to offer only block and formula for at least 4-5 weeks as she is beginning to wean in that time. Be sure that she is readily eating rodent block before offering any other foods. If you do offer anything else at all, she will never eat block again. Believe me, I know, I have been there and done that. After she is readily eating the block in a few weeks then you can offer a few tiny pieces of healthy foods... just a piece or so at a time. Ultimately, it is suggested that a rodent block staple should make up 80% of a rodent's diet . The other 20% can be healthy treats , veggies, fruits and even nuts. Stay tough on this and you will have a much easier time with your sweet baby's diet and ultimate health and happiness.

SammysMom
08-27-2011, 10:24 PM
:goodpost :goodpost :goodpost