PDA

View Full Version : A few general questions on rehabbing

skylavaulter
08-22-2011, 01:26 PM
This is my first rehab, so I've got some questions. I'd appreciate any help!

1. What age should I move them from an aquarium to a larger squirrel cage? How close does the bar spacing have to be?

2. What's the appropriate amount of interaction? If I could, I'd be cuddling with them every second, but I'm afraid of making them too tame. Right now I'm only interacting with them to feed and weigh them. Can I do a little bit more?

3. Are they fed every 4 hours until they're weaned around 12 weeks? Or do the feedings get less and less as they get bigger? If so, how often?

4. Do you have to release them in a spot where the trees have nuts / seeds? Our house has a ton of trees, but they're mostly pine. There are some leafy trees but I'm not seeing any acorns, etc. Would they be ok here? Do you think they'll stick around?

Thanks! :thumbsup

Rhapsody
08-22-2011, 01:47 PM
This is my first rehab, so I've got some questions. I'd appreciate any help!

1. What age should I move them from an aquarium to a larger squirrel cage? How close does the bar spacing have to be?

They can be moved to a cage with bar spacing no larger than 1/2 inch part when they have opened their eyes and can move about the cage with ease..... between 4-6 weeks old.

2. What's the appropriate amount of interaction? If I could, I'd be cuddling with them every second, but I'm afraid of making them too tame. Right now I'm only interacting with them to feed and weigh them. Can I do a little bit more?

When we are working to release a squirrel(s) as little interaction as possible is best.... but some interaction is required so they will trust you and will let you touch and fed them. Most of us will spend time with them during or after feeding time so our little furry friends can have out of cage time for exercise..... more time is given to a single squirrel.

3. Are they fed every 4 hours until they're weaned around 12 weeks? Or do the feedings get less and less as they get bigger? If so, how often?

As a squirrel gets older their feeding can be stretched out to every 6 hours and their night feeding is done away with....... a high quality squirrel block, vegetables, nuts and fruits are incorporated into their daily feedings.

4. Do you have to release them in a spot where the trees have nuts / seeds? Our house has a ton of trees, but they're mostly pine. There are some leafy trees but I'm not seeing any acorns, etc. Would they be ok here? Do you think they'll stick around?

Your house / area will be fine to release them at (after they turn 4-5 mths old) and if they stick around will be up to them...... but a lot of male squirrels will travel many miles away to mate with other females.

Anne
08-22-2011, 01:59 PM
We love questions!:jump
To be able to answer you-pictures would be great, then we can see how old your babies are.
Cage- small enough spacing that babies will not be able to squeeze through.
When to move? When they open their eyes or start jumping on the walls. Until their eyes open babies are not able to regulate their body temperature and stay warm.
Feed by weight since you are weighing them-5 to 7% of body weight. Feeding every 4 hours is about right. They will let you know when that's too often:poke .Keep feeding them by syringe until they wean on their own-their internal clock is first over ours.:D They may enjoy formula in a disk after the syringe stops.
Loving and kisses and play will be great once their eyes open, until then growing babies need their beauty sleep. However, if they are just too cute, tummy kisses and patting gently won't hurt, just don't love their fur off!:rotfl
Release at about 4/5 months old if their is nesting material available and the weather is warm enough. Putting up nest boxes would be a good idea if tree leaves are not that plentiful for nest material.
If they have a secure nest, plenty of food, chances are great that your yard will become home. The young are sometimes run off by older squirrels, males mostly but girls too sometimes.
Good luck. Read all the "stickies" and stay around-they adventure has just begun.:multi :wott

skylavaulter
08-22-2011, 03:00 PM
They're about 4 weeks old...

m&bs mom
08-22-2011, 06:52 PM
Babies look beautiful! Great job!

Anne
08-22-2011, 08:02 PM
Oh my-they are adorable. So kissable.:D They look so very healthy and well fed, you are doing a great job.:grouphug :grouphug

skylavaulter
08-22-2011, 11:18 PM
THANKS! :D I'm new to this, so every little thing has me freaking out lol. They are cute little buggers, aren't they? :Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon