PDA

View Full Version : Hi All

My boys
08-11-2011, 03:44 PM
Hi all hope all is well with my fellow squirrle lovers!!!
I have a nutrition question. Ok well 2 lol
Baby Boy is doing so great, except I read the feeding guide wrong (again) & gave him carrotts everyday :nono
I need to get him on something that is going to last a week it seems that when I get him parsley, romain lettuce & broccolli they don't last that long. I got him corn on the cob 'cause I thought I remembered seeing that someone gives their squirrels corn on the cob but I wanted to make sure untill I gave it to him.
His favorite is kale & cherry (grape) tomatoes which lasts a while.
Also does anyone sell any of the pine cones, magnolia cones (I bought a few from Henrys but Baby Boy didn't like them after they were in the fridge) or any other wild food?
Thank you all for your help
Oh also I'm going to be moving to NY (I love in Fl right now) any thoughts on what to do with him with the long drive?

:grouphug to you all

sundogdayze
08-13-2011, 12:39 PM
Hi! I have two massive Magnolia trees in my backyard, and I could easily go grab several cones for you and mail them out if you like. I'm in Florida, too, up in Jacksonville, so you would get them pretty quickly.

Jackie in Tampa
08-13-2011, 02:05 PM
Hi My Boys!!:wave123
corn is advised as a treat ONLY...it is too high ion phosphorus and that depletes calcium absorbtion.
Calcium is the most important when looking at healthy foods...
There is a list of good and bad veggies with calcium to phos ratios...
I strongly advise you try a health food market for veggies...you can buy just a few of each...
I feed HHbs and vary the veggies daily and always buy what's in season...I try to buy USA grown only...
In the winter it is hard to get fresh, but the winter squashes are great:thumbsup
Here's a link to the chart and diet info..
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=28009 (http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28009)

as far as traveling...
no plastic cat carriers...
small covered cage is best...with his special bed etc...
Recue Remedy is a good idea...I would buy the spray...it can be bought at any health food store also, some drug stores
made by Bach, sold for about $8-$12...the drops are just as good...
application is easy and can be done as often as needed.
Water bottles tend to drip and rattle..so bowl or bottle, ck his water often.
Not ideal to leave him in the car with the heat...
be careful of heat stroke..
here's the link to some heat stroke info...know what to watch fo etc..
I know I am link'ing you to death...:rotfl :rotfl

http://www.bachflower.com/images/BachProducts-All.jpg (http://www.directlyfromnature.com/RescueRemedy.htm)

My boys
08-14-2011, 01:27 PM
Thank you Jackie I have a travel cage for him already it's a wire cage he really likes. I use it to bring him to my friends house when I go away it's not that big but it is good for a few days. I will have to try that product do you know if it works on rats too 'cause I have 6 & I don't think there cage is going to fit in my car! Thanks so much for your help

Jackie in Tampa
08-15-2011, 05:33 AM
I sent you a PM yesterday...didn't get a chance to post here...
If you would like, I will wild up your grey and release him here.
I will post many pics...:thumbsup
I worry that he will get hormonal and start to wild up after you move away from this area...squirrels are wild animals and it happens...
very few sqs will stay sweet after maturity, most want to be sqs in the trees:( not inside and caged!
I have release cages available right now...but soon I won't...

If you are moving north{cold} I think he would be better off having release where he is from.
:Love_Icon ..just my thoughts..:Love_Icon

Please others chime in...share experiences...please!

island rehabber
08-15-2011, 06:56 AM
Jackie that is a wonderful offer, to release Baby Boy in Florida. Florida squirrels are quite a bit smaller than our northern squirrels and have less dense fur. When I visit Jackie and see her 6-7 wk old eyes-open babies it gives me a start, because we have 3-wk olds that size! :eek: Should you want/need to release baby Boy once you're here in NY, he would not survive. Please think about it, My Boys. :) :peace