PDA

View Full Version : Merlin

Petnick
08-10-2011, 08:24 AM
I am so glad I found this board!

Although I am used to taking care of small animals as we share our home with hamsters, guinea pigs and rabbits, this is the first time I am caring for a squirrel.

Seven days ago, I saw our neighbour's dog playing with something. When we got closer we saw it was a small wet red squirrel. I picked him up, started to clean him up and warm him under a lightbulb and sent my husband to the pet store and drugstore with a list. Merlin is a red squirrel, with fur all over but his eyes are not open yet.

I then started to administer a bit of Pedialite, and kept up with it for a few hours. By then he was dry, clean and housed in a box on soft cotton with a heating pad. After about 6 hours, I started to give him Esbilac (powder form, 2 parts water one part powder). I feed him every 4-5 hours, around the clock. At first he would only take small amounts but now seven days later he is doing very well, bigger, stronger, eating and eliminating well. His eyes are still closed.

Yesterday I saw that I was at the last of the Esbilac and went to buy some more. When I open the new pouch to mix it, I saw that the colour and texture when reconstituted is different. I read that there may be problems with Esbilac, and I am a bit concerned. I live in Canada. I called vets in my area (regular cats and dogs vets), and was told they use a product called Mamalac.

This morning's feed was 2 ml old stuff and 1 ml new stuff.

Should I be concerned? Any suggestions?

Thank you very much for all your help!

stosh2010
08-10-2011, 08:35 AM
http://www.henryspets.com/

WELCOME---WELCOME

Please order some Fox Valley formula for your new "boarder".
It will greatly assist in his growth and development, as part of a healthy diet. Check out our nutrition sites on TSB as well.
Photos will "win you points" with the members here...we LOVE photos...
( and a NAME... Ha ! )

JakesLittlePrincess
08-10-2011, 09:13 AM
:Welcome :Welcome Thanks for taking this little guy in!

Jackie in Tampa
08-11-2011, 04:53 AM
how's the baby?:Love_Icon

Rescue04
08-11-2011, 06:04 AM
with esbilac....mix one cup water, half a cup of powder, half cup of whipping cream, and a quarter cup of plain yogurt. it works well. fox valley is good. but til you get some.....use that mix. i use esbilac and have not had a problem with it.

Skul
08-11-2011, 09:54 AM
If you haven't found the FV, it can be found here...
http://www.henryspets.com/fox-valley-day-one-formula-for-squirrels-32-40/

and here...
http://foxvalleynutrition.com/prod/details.asp?CID=1&PLID=1

With just the one squirrel, you won't need more than a pound.
The 32/40 is the one we use the most.

Petnick
08-11-2011, 10:28 PM
Thank you for your suggestions! I'll go check the links for FV but until then I will augment the Esbilac with whipping cream and yogurt, as suggested.

The little dude is doing very well. His eyes are still closed, but he is exploring his box, eating and eliminating well. He is bigger and stronger than when I found him.

From what I read and saw on the Internet, I am assuming he is around 4 weeks old, so I think it won't be long until I have to find better accommodations for him. I am not sure what kind of cage to purchase. My goal has always been to release him, but since I live in Quebec it looks like I won't be able to do so before next spring/summer.

I have a lot of reading to do about nutrition, housing and all the other I haven't even thought of :).

Thanks for the help!

Skul
08-14-2011, 06:45 PM
Petnick e-mailed me a picture of Merlin...so..
here he is.:D

Petnick
08-17-2011, 10:36 AM
Little dude is doing great! His eyes are open and he is very active. I gathered some sticks and things for him to remind him that he is a wild squirrel. We live in an area that is mostly cedar, so I picked him up some cedar " leaves" and nuts to play with.

I think is about 5-6 week now and last night was his first night without a night feeding.

He is ready to move of his box so I'll have to purchase him a cage in the next few days.

I am staying at my mum's cottage, where he was found, and as soon as I get home in about a week, I will post pictures. He is adorable:D

MomOf2squirrels
08-17-2011, 11:18 AM
what an adorable little baby.

Skul
08-17-2011, 01:31 PM
When the eyes open, the fun really begins. :rotfl :poke

Petnick
08-19-2011, 10:14 AM
Merlin now has a big boy cage! I found a 2' wide by 1.5' deep by 2' high cage, equipped with levels and ladders, added a chew proof water bottle, a mineral block and a few toys.

I plan to make him a fleece hammock and to put a branch in. Is there anything else he needs?

He is so adorable and alert! I can't wait to post pictures!:jump

Petnick
08-23-2011, 08:46 PM
Here is my sweetie!

Skul
08-24-2011, 08:19 AM
:jump Little Red!!!
He's looking good.:)

spocks mom
08-24-2011, 08:49 AM
Merlin is so cute!

Petnick
09-01-2011, 09:26 PM
Merlin is doing really well!

This is what he looks like at about 7 weeks, 4 weeks after I found him.

JLM27
09-01-2011, 10:10 PM
O wow! What a cutie pie! Those pictures make me want to swoop him up and kiss him. You lucky person! There is nothing like a sweet baby squirrel, and Merlin looks to be among the sweetest.

Skul
09-05-2011, 08:18 PM
Wondering how:thinking Merlin is doing.

astra
09-05-2011, 08:24 PM
awe, another precious little baby red! Love reds!

Nancy in New York
09-05-2011, 08:30 PM
awe, another precious little baby red! Love reds!

Me too!:thumbsup :Love_Icon :Love_Icon

SammysMom
09-05-2011, 08:31 PM
What a little doll!!!:wave123

FireWood
09-05-2011, 09:00 PM
What a funny picture (with the tootbrush!)

And what a great name!

Petnick
09-05-2011, 09:03 PM
Fuzz-rocket is doing very well:D

His new game is now to jump on me and just walk all over me as I walk in the house. Tonight he figured out that the floor is quite interesting! He is getting quite wild, and I don't know how long I can keep him in his cage. It looks like I will have to upgrade!

Skul
09-08-2011, 10:46 AM
The exploring is what gets them into trouble.
Just like human kids.:D

Petnick
09-08-2011, 07:39 PM
We might just change his name to Merlot:D . While exploring the house, he found a wine bottle cork. Oh my! What a fun toy!

I can see that he is still a baby. I still give him formula in a bowl and he loves it. I guess I'll give him some until he decides he doesn't like it anymore.

I went to his birthplace last weekend (mum's summer cottage) and picked him up a bunch of cedar nuts. Irene had also brought down some trees, so I found a lot of evegreen's branches and nuts. I want him to remember he is a wild dude!

Petnick
09-25-2011, 09:10 AM
Merlin is doing great!

He is now living in a critter nation double, which is much better for his fuzz rocket personality!

CritterMom
09-25-2011, 09:19 AM
So how do you say "No" to that? I mean really?