PDA

View Full Version : What to feed a squirrel?

TexanSquirrel
12-17-2006, 10:35 PM
What kinds of foods are good for squirrels? What kinds of nuts are best? What do you guys feed to ensure your fuzzers are getting all the nutrition they need?

Thanks a ton!

Keltic99999
12-17-2006, 10:57 PM
i went to a good exotic vet, and was told to avoid nuts as a main course for squirrels...... nuts are a fatty food, and they increase body weight and growth but dont allow squirrels to acquire enough protein or vitamins from the nuts. i was told to feed a avairian food, veggies and minimal nuts.

too many fatty foods cause paralysis, and calcium definacy which causes bone disengration in rodents.......

i would feed some type of bird food the stuff that looks like fruit loops lol.... and feed veggies (not ice berg) romaine is best and so is brocilli...... and nuts can be minimal as a treat.....

TexanSquirrel
12-17-2006, 11:10 PM
Thanks (and good luck finding that foxer, they're so awesome!).

Does anyone else have any imput?

thumper
12-18-2006, 05:42 AM
SEE::::::Baby Squirrel Questions.... Nutrition and caring for baby squirrels. ( 1 2 3) lots of good stuff here go back to the main menu an look around!!!

GhosTS
12-18-2006, 09:53 AM
Kale,broccoli,cauliflower,apple pieces,grapes,sweet potatoe,pumpkin+seeds,
hard shelled nuts ( should be given with care ), avocado ( small amounts..too much will cause diarrhea ),zupreem primate diet,mazuri rodent block..

Most importantly...
No Peanuts or Sunflower seeds

thumper
12-18-2006, 10:11 AM
watch out for apple skins (trust me):smiley_pirate thumper

TexanSquirrel
12-18-2006, 07:21 PM
What's wrong with apple skins? And sunflower seeds? I understand the peanuts because they have something in them that isn't good for squirrely tummies. And I will check that other thread, thumper. Thanks.

GhosTS
12-18-2006, 10:54 PM
Thanks Thumper for filling up the missing spaces..:D

No apple skins, no grape skins, no avacado skins or the pit..

They will get choked from Apple and grape skins.Avacado skins and the pit are toxic.

Sunflower seeds has too much oil.Its not good for squirrels in captivity because of the lack of excersice.(A very small amount now and then will be negotiable ).Its ok for outside squirrels.And its more than ok for outside squirrels in the cold weather.:thumbsup :D

TexanSquirrel
12-18-2006, 11:54 PM
Thanks again guys! I'll be sure to peel all apples and grapes from now on!

BooBookitty
12-20-2006, 10:33 PM
I feed Boo Harrison's bird food...all organic baby! He loves it..he also gets a wide variety of veggies, such as squash, sweet potatoes, carrots,fresh green beans. He really likes his Cheerios too ( unsweetened of course...he is sweet enough by himself). I have given him green bell pepper and Tomatoes too but I read here that some can have a bad reaction ? It has never bothered him and he loves them. He really loves his banana chips but we keep those as a treat not as a main food.x_biggrin

Gabe
12-21-2006, 06:17 AM
Has anyone ever fed their squirrels good quality dry dog food? I give them two or three pieces and they seem to like it. I see my wild squirrels woof it down if the nightlife didn't eat it all and that gave me the idea. I really have no idea if it is good or bad, but I think the protein won't hurt. Any ideas?

TexanSquirrel
12-21-2006, 01:15 PM
I was wondering the same thing about dog food/treats. Any comments?

BooBookitty
12-21-2006, 08:56 PM
yes. Actually, I have also fed Boo some Science diet puppy food but I usually only give him one or two kibbles at a time as he tends to get a bit chunky. I know one of the rehabbers in the area feeds puppy food and something called monkey biscuits to her fuzzybutts..I tried giving it to Boo when I was weaning him but he would have nothing to do with either...I recently adopted another puppy and Boo went crazy when he smelled the pup's food, so I tried it again and he woofed it down ( hehe every pun intended).:flash3

dmgualtieri
12-21-2006, 11:44 PM
Dog/cat foods are generally not recommended for squirrels as it a is a carnivore diet (made with meat products etc) and squirrels are not carnivores and it is not nutritionally balanced for them. The rodent chow and monkey biscuits are best( as well as the other various fruits and veggies mentioned used to suppliment it) for proper nutrition to help prevent MBD.

Gabe
12-22-2006, 06:41 AM
Thanks for your input guys. Although squirrels aren't classified as carnivores, they do eat bird eggs, earthworms and beatles. My wilds steal dog food out of the dishes outside. That's why I started giving them a couple of pieces at a time. I think in small amounts with a balanced diet is beneficial. Anybody else have an opinion?

Uriel Ventris
01-29-2007, 01:01 PM
Well to start off with dried corn kernels are great.Also if you can find some bird seed with the small tiny round seeds they'll eat like little vacuum cleaners just plopping thiers noses in the ground and nibbling the ground.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
01-29-2007, 01:02 PM
Pecans, wallnuts & filberts in shell are excellent choices also UNSALTED pumpkin seeds.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
01-29-2007, 05:30 PM
:tilt oh you were talking about squirrels in captivity, thats a whole other ball game.:)

myflyer
01-31-2007, 12:07 PM
Just because no one else has mentioned it- I have a cuttlebone in the cage with my flyer for extra calcium, and a vitamin supplement with vitamin C to help him absorb the calcium. His normal diet is Parrot seed and fruit mix.

Ratastok'sNewMom
02-02-2007, 04:45 PM
I gave Ratastok a cuttlefish bone but she prefers the antler tip instead to chew on.

Bird food? Why? MMmmmmm, I wonder if occasionally adding some "scratch" might be good.