PDA

View Full Version : Scalded cow's milk??

sundogdayze
08-03-2011, 10:40 PM
I was just doing a little webcrawling looking for more info on how the Esbilac is bad for baby squirrels (sorry, I know I'm late to the game, but I have been using Esbilac for years and didn't hear about the process change)

I came across a website that swears by a scalded cow's milk diet. There is a formula that mixes whole cow's milk that has been scalded with vitamin E drops.

Has anyone had any experience with this? I've always heard that cow's milk is atrocious for squirrels. I know not to believe everything I read on the internet, and I have been feeding my babies Esbilac, and have had a few digestive issues. I will probably order the Fox Valley formula to try, but wanted to know first if anyone has used this scalded cow's milk formula and had better results.

island rehabber
08-03-2011, 10:47 PM
PLEASE read this sticky in our Emergency Forum:

http://www.thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5842
http://www.thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13729&highlight=clarissa

sundogdayze
08-03-2011, 10:57 PM
Holy wow. I knew that site sounded a little loony. I continued to read after I posted that above and she says some more things that contradict everything I had ever heard. I will go ahead and order that Fox Valley formula now. Thanks! :)

island rehabber
08-03-2011, 11:05 PM
Holy wow. I knew that site sounded a little loony. I continued to read after I posted that above and she says some more things that contradict everything I had ever heard. I will go ahead and order that Fox Valley formula now. Thanks! :)

:thumbsup smart thinking! :thumbsup

Rhapsody
08-03-2011, 11:38 PM
From what I have learned "scalded milk" is not bad with in its self, but it lacks the nutrition needed to sustain a squirrels body, therefore, its starves to death.
--dies a slow and painful ending that could have other wise been avoided with proper feeding.

deepshreesh
11-28-2011, 08:44 AM
what is scalded cow's milk?? i found a really tiny baby squirrel few months back. it fell off from its nest. we tried to place it back in the nest but the mother didn't take him :( so i just kept him with me and i fed him with a cotton dipped in the packed milk(toned) for like a month. i used to feed him every 2 hours.. ya even in the middle of the night. but now after 4 months hes healthy and just soo adorable.
the thing is till now it was easy to bathe him but now its really tough cause he runs away or scratches on my skin evrytime i want to bathe him. any ideas how to do it? also he lives in the pocket of my sweater under a blanket. whats the ideal house for him..??

:thankyou

Jackie in Tampa
11-28-2011, 08:57 AM
From what I have learned "scalded milk" is not bad with in its self, but it lacks the nutrition needed to sustain a squirrels body, therefore, its starves to death.
--dies a slow and painful ending that could have other wise been avoided with proper feeding.
scalded milk is very bad...
sqs have diarrhea til they die. DEAD.
I know..I have used it...
I have helped many sqs overcome the deficencies due to others feeding it...
it's bad news...
scalded means boiled....
there is a web site that refers this to people who find sqs...:shakehead
the author of this diet has had her rehabbers license and sqs removed so I have been told, by the state of Texas.:shakehead
Do not do it!:shakehead
Rhapsody does not use scalded milk either...she uses Fox Valley , like most of us here...:thumbsup