PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Enzo

FireWood
08-03-2011, 08:49 PM
Hi There,
New poster here. I discovered your site while googling for tips on taking care of squirrels. I never imagined that there was a forum dedicated to caring for squirrels, but I'm glad I found it!

My name is Dan, and I'm squirrel addict. At least, that's what my wife thinks. I've been spending an inordinate amount of time lately playing with my "friends".

It all started a few months back when we hung a couple of bird feeders. Of course, it didn't take long for the squirrels to show up, and wow, are they funny!

Not long after that, I noticed what seemed to be a family of red squirrels. 3 tiny pups hanging out together, and one slightly larger squirrel off in the distance foraging for food.

I started putting food out near the tree I first found them under, and next thing I knew, I started seeing them all over the neighborhood when I went for afternoon walks. A hole in a tree here, a telephone pole there... and of course, the bird feeders! Red squirrels everywhere!

One in particular seemed a little bit stronger, braver, and crazier that the others. Being bright red, and crazy-fast, I named him Enzo. Bonus points if you know why ;)

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh116/dchiango/Yard%20and%20Garden/RedSquirrel005.jpg

As feisty as the reds are, they are definitely outnumbered by the greys, so I thought I should do something to give them a chance at survival. I decided to build a nest box. I did a little googling for ideas, and stumbled across a picture of a multi-chambered masterpiece in the UK, that was designed to mimic a hollow tree with multiple storage areas for the squirrels winter cache.

I had to build one!

Some $100 of cedar and hardware, plus a IR camera, and probably 20 hours of sweat equity, it was finished. I had gone off plan considerably, added some enhancements, use just about every tool in my very-considerable arsenal, and had to engineer a way to hang to beast too. (Good times!)

The actual hanging was delayed for the arrival and testing of the IR cam, then involved another half day of effort, involving some of my wife's rock climbing gear, two ladders, and a couple of near-death experiences!

Along the way, I did discover why squirrels like trees so much. On a really hot day, it's cool and breezy 20' up in a tree!

So, here is is. I'm now calling it the "fortress of solitude" because I had to install predator gaurds this evening to keep the greys out.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh116/dchiango/Yard%20and%20Garden/RedSquirrel004.jpg

This is about 15' or so up in a maple tree. I hope a Red decides to move in... they seem to prefer Spruce trees, but I don't have any on my property.

Hopefully you can get the idea from the pic. The top chamber is supposed to be the nest box. That's the one that has the camera in it, and is lined with strips of fleece. It's also a good bit deeper than the rest.

The other three are supposed to be for food storage. I pre-loaded two of them with walnuts and peanuts (in the shell) to give the new owner the general idea, but so far, the squirrels that pass through seem more interested in eating than storing. :dono

All four are connected by a vertical tunnel, so the squirrel can move around between chambers without ever having to go outside. Dunno if they'll actually use that or not, but they seemed to enjoy playing inside it when I still had it down on the ground. (the inside of the tunnel is scored every inch or so for traction, and it seems to work)

They have three points of entry/exit... the top and bottom of the tunnel, and out the side of the top nest box chamber. The engineer in me thinks that will be a big hit, come winter time! I also added a good bit of 3/4" hemp rope around the outside to (hopefully) let youngsters cling and play, and get in and out of the bottom exit. They already seem to like that!:)

so.. That's my story. The fortress has only been up a few days, and it's already had some visitors. Hopefully one will decide to stay.

Anyway, thanks for hosting such a great site. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions about taking care of my new friends, and you folks seem like the right crowd to answer.

-Dan

island rehabber
08-03-2011, 08:56 PM
Wow! :Welcome Dan, you sure are one of us. That is some amazing nest box complex and I hope you get a whole family of little reds calling it home. I actually had my first red squirrel in rehab here for a few days and OMG are they fast and crazy compared to greys! I'm thinking Ferrari Enzo Racer -- am I right?

SammysMom
08-03-2011, 08:59 PM
Oh my word that is beautiful! You are a squirrelly engineer Dan!!!:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

FireWood
08-03-2011, 08:59 PM
A few more pics, just because I can't show them to any of my other friends!!!

Two of "Enzo" or one of his siblings...

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh116/dchiango/Yard%20and%20Garden/RedSquirrel003.jpg

And

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh116/dchiango/Yard%20and%20Garden/RedSquirrel002.jpg

At this point, "the fortress" was just strapped at the base of a tree, waiting for me to hang it higher up.

Here it is in it's new location. ~15 or so feet up.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh116/dchiango/Yard%20and%20Garden/RedSquirrel0032.jpg

I'll greatly appreciate any tips anyone has on convincing a squirrel to take up permanent residence! After all this work, I want this thing to get used!

-Dan

Skul
08-03-2011, 10:47 PM
OMG!! The BOX!:rotfl
Put the link to the UK site in here.
I'd like to take a closer look.

gs1
08-04-2011, 12:10 AM
I'm thinking Ferrari Enzo Racer -- am I right?

well i've got no idea how a squirrel ends up with the name enzo ... so i'm interested!!!:D

beautiful reds/beautiful box...:thumbsup :Welcome

Izzie
08-04-2011, 12:52 AM
Named after Enzo Ferrari ! Fantastic!

MiriamS
08-04-2011, 01:09 AM
:bowdown WOW, that is amazing. A true feat of craftsmanship. Isn't it funny how it can start out so innocently and turn into an addiction? "Hi Dan" (we're all addicts too). :Welcome to TSB, where you can get as squirrel nerdy as you'd like. And posting photos is a requirement :D especially since The Fortress of Solitude is so spectacular. Enzo is a great name for a red squirrel btw. I can't wait until they move in for winter, which I'm sure they will. Just fantastic. And I love it that you used your wife's rock climbing gear to hang it. That just adds to the story. :thumbsup

stepnstone
08-04-2011, 02:00 AM
:Welcome Dan!

Glad you stumbled across the best squirrel board on the internet, we are all squirrel nuts here! Nice work on the box. :thumbsup

CritterMom
08-04-2011, 04:39 AM
Oh, my, I had a VERY speedy little guinea pig when I was much younger named Enzo! Of course it wasn't his speed that earned him the name, it was his little purring sound that sounded just like a sports car starting up!

I am just north of you and like you, noticed one red this year, then two, then OMG!!! I now have two distinct tribes, the reds and the grays (who regularly get their butts beat by the little reds!).

Go to a fabric store or the fabric department at a crafts type store and buy some POLYESTER quilt batting - the stuff that is inside a quilt. Do not get cotton or any natural fiber, only the polyester. Cut a bunch of small pieces of it (I like about 6x6 inches). Put a handful inside the nestbox and put the rest in a basket or something where they can get to it to raid it. Why polyester? It does not absorb water at all. It pours right through and is dry again almost immediately. So rain and humidity will not turn the inside of the nest to a soggy swamp. It is wonderful insulation, of course, so warm in winter and since it has an open structure, there is airflow, and they can burrow down in it and it acts as an insect shield, too!

And welcome to TSB!

Jackie in Tampa
08-04-2011, 04:50 AM
:Welcome :wave123
Wow WoW Wow!!!!
:thumbsup Def one of Us!

JLM27
08-04-2011, 06:16 AM
Squirrel mansion! Wowee! It's beautiful!:flash3

stosh2010
08-04-2011, 07:03 AM
Great Fortress...is the infra red camera hard wired? I have an infra red cam set up above my Rama Rota's INDOOR nest box..and watch him arise each morning from his huge collection of fleece.

SquirrelsinSingapore
08-04-2011, 11:18 AM
The Fortress of Solitude is one spectacular looking squirrel property. Looked very spacious, good view, and squirrel friendly enough :thumbsup

You are very good miniature architect :multi

Ohoh leave squirrelly pictures with us!
We are more then happy to browse n comment :crazy :crazy

Enzo sounds a good squirrely name too

Glad to have you with us

Josh,
saying :Welcome

MiriamS
08-04-2011, 11:52 AM
Oh I forgot, I am hugely impressed that you wired the Fortress with an IR camera. We will all be watching 24/7 once someone moves in. Brilliant idea.

Perhaps you should rename this thread The Fortress of Solitude :D

crazysquirrels
08-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Fantastic name. Wheather after Enzo himself or the beautife car. Love the mansion and the pics.

FireWood
08-04-2011, 08:01 PM
Hey, wow, thanks for the warm welcome!

You guessed right. Little Enzo is named after Enzo Ferrari, racer and founder of the car company! It seems to suit him!

Here is the link to the website that gave me the idea for the Fortress. I made some changes, but the inspiration came from this site:
http://www.accesswave.net/~pchat/squirrel/index2.htm

And yes to the question about the camera. It is hardwired.
The camera came with 100 ft of cable, which is jut enough to trail down the tree, across the lawn, and into the sliding glass door.

I've got to figure out how to post videos. I've got one of what I think is Enzo's first visit to the nest box after it was hung!

island rehabber
08-04-2011, 08:05 PM
I use photobucket for videos....others may know of a better option. :)

FireWood
08-04-2011, 08:34 PM
Thanks! I use photobucket for pictures, but never tried before with videos.

I have two loading now.

I hope I can get them to post. Enzo has a couple of scars on him that I didn't notice last week. Maybe I'm just getting closer to him now, so they were more noticeable, but now I'm a bit concerned.

Looking back at the recordings I made over the weekend, the scars are visible in the video. Opinions? He seems healthy, but those scars are pretty big for such a small critter.

hope this works. I think if you click on the images below, they'll play?

See them around his left shoulder and on his upper back? Are those wounds, or just some kind of mark in his fur?

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh116/dchiango/th_Recording_0003.jpg (http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh116/dchiango/?action=view&current=Recording_0003.mp4)

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh116/dchiango/th_Recording_0005.jpg (http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh116/dchiango/?action=view&current=Recording_0005.mp4)

Cute little devil, isn't he? :)

Milo's Mom
08-04-2011, 08:42 PM
WOW & Welcome!!!
Thanks for posting the link. I'll be studying it in preparation of building more boxes for my outdoor guys...winter is coming.

Photobucket, YouTube & Picasa all work for videos. Upload the video to the site then paste the link in the thread on TSB. We LOVE pics & videos too!!

That nest box is seriously awesome!!!!

Skul
08-04-2011, 09:34 PM
Looks to be a young gray.
Rather fun to watch him/her roll around to get comfortable.

Scooterzmom
08-04-2011, 10:24 PM
TOTAL CUTENESS!!!! :Love_Icon And WOW! gorgeous nest box set-up! Great work!
:Welcome aboard :D

crazysquirrels
08-04-2011, 11:12 PM
Videos on photobucket are rough. I finally figured it out one day. For video's I use youtube. Cristal clear video from them.

Pierre
08-05-2011, 07:54 AM
That little guy sure loved rubbing himself on that fleece! Looked mighty comfy! :D

Amazing house, or rather, mansion you made there! :Welcome

veganhead1
08-05-2011, 11:59 AM
Wow! Super mansion there. My husband built his first nestbox recently and it really is the little house on the prarie edition, especially compared to yours.
I love the cache areas and that they can move about inside without having to go outside, very nice. I am curious about the predator guards (I think is what you called them). Maybe I missed the explanation, but I am curious about what they are? Also, I think your fortress turned out nicer than the one you modeled it from! Great Job and Enzo is super cute.

CritterMom
08-05-2011, 12:25 PM
Just marks in the fur - probably molting. I think that is a juvie gray squirrel.

stosh2010
08-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Enzo is thinking... Man, It's Hard to Get COMFORTABLE..... ( CLICK ON attached files-Big Brother)&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
1-- How deep is the fleece on the bottom of the Nest Box? My Rama Rota goes deep under 5 inches of fleece to sleep, so The first thing that I see are his eyes shining in the camera when he is climbing out -IN TOTAL DARKNESS.
2-- How far above the bottom of the box is the camera attached? The pics are very clear.

FireWood
08-05-2011, 03:23 PM
Just marks in the fur - probably molting. I think that is a juvie gray squirrel.

Hi CritterMom. Thanks for the opinion. It makes me feel better to know that it might be normal and not a wound!

Enzo is definitely a Red. He's a tiny little guy, and quite red in color. That video camera uses infrared light to see in the darkness of the nest box, so *everything* in the image is always some shade of grey. Like an old black and white TV, red looks grey!

FireWood
08-05-2011, 03:36 PM
Wow! Super mansion there. My husband built his first nestbox recently and it really is the little house on the prarie edition, especially compared to yours.
I love the cache areas and that they can move about inside without having to go outside, very nice. I am curious about the predator guards (I think is what you called them). Maybe I missed the explanation, but I am curious about what they are? Also, I think your fortress turned out nicer than the one you modeled it from! Great Job and Enzo is super cute.

Hi! Thanks, I kinds liked my version more than the first one too. I didn't decide to re-arrange the box layout until I was actually attaching them. I temporarily clamped the first and second one in place, and realized I had made a mistake.

Then I realized that I liked the mistake, so I took some new measurements, and figured out how to mount them all so the whole thing was balanced. I added the rope as an afterthought to make it easier for the squirrels to play outside. Selfish actually - I can't see them inside!

The predator gaurds are simply metal plates that raccoons or larger squirrels can't chew through. They're not in the pictures, 'cause I hadn't installed them yet. Three gray squirrels were already chewing on the entrance holes trying to make them bigger so they could get in. and as much as I like the grey squirrels too, I wanted the reds to get a chance to move in.

So I bought made one plate out of some scrap aluminum, then got smart and went to Lowes and bought a few electrical outlet plates. They have some for big 240 volt outlets that have a single round hole about 2 1/8" in diameter. They worked perfectly, as that was the size drill bit I had used to make the holes in the nest box. It's more than big enough for a red, but much too small for a gray

So, the Gray's can't get in any longer, but someone has moved a peanut from a cache box to the nest box. I can see it on camera!:D

Rescue04
08-05-2011, 03:39 PM
wow....what a beautiful nest box!! so going to have to show this to hubby!!

FireWood
08-05-2011, 03:47 PM
Enzo is thinking... Man, It's Hard to Get COMFORTABLE..... ( CLICK ON attached files-Big Brother)&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
1-- How deep is the fleece on the bottom of the Nest Box? My Rama Rota goes deep under 5 inches of fleece to sleep, so The first thing that I see are his eyes shining in the camera when he is climbing out -IN TOTAL DARKNESS.
2-- How far above the bottom of the box is the camera attached? The pics are very clear.

Big brother! that's funny! I guess I am spying a little on him!

There's probably only 2-3 inches of fleece in the box, I liked the idea someone posted above to put some more out, so Enzo can grab more if he wants it.

I'm surprised that your buddy uses so much in Costa Rica. My wife and I visited a few years ago. What a beautiful country! But warm. I can't imagine needing fleece!

The camera is probably only 8" or so above the bottom of the box. I actually had to modify it somewhat, because the IR lights were putting out too much power, and the images were washed out. It works pretty well now - especially for a cheap camera. I figure it's going to have a short life, between the weather, and probability of being chewed on!

-Dan

stosh2010
08-05-2011, 05:07 PM
Big brother! that's funny! I guess I am spying a little on him!

I'm surprised that your buddy uses so much in Costa Rica. My wife and I visited a few years ago. What a beautiful country! But warm. I can't imagine needing fleece!-Dan
Well Rama Rota stays indoors 24/7 and is in A/C .
He would have a stroke if he ever wound up outside in the Costa Rican HEAT ( like Me--His Keeper).
...Also--Who would peel his grapes???

MiriamS
08-06-2011, 01:43 AM
Firewood!!! Enzo moved himself in? Last I checked you weren't certain he was interested. I don't think you realize this but you have put everyone on TSB in Nirvana. All we have ever wanted to do (besides keep squirrels safe and healthy) is to see what goes on inside the nest!!! :jump I'm so excited we have a secret stealthy squirrel cam. :D

It is adorable to see him rolling around and rubbing the fleece. It does look to me like maybe he wants more stuff in there....like he's trying to burrow. But here's your (and our) dilemma because if you add a bunch of nesting material, we won't be able to see Enzo in there. :dono

This is just brilliant. Fantastic. Is there any way to set up a constant streaming webcam? This is so super cool, I'm beside myself with squirrel voyeurism glee. :wahoo

Skul
08-06-2011, 06:54 AM
Had to go back and watch the vids again.
Thought it was a gray.:shakehead
Nope, that's an Enzo for sure.:rotfl

stosh2010
08-06-2011, 07:12 AM
FireWood
What does you cam wire connect to...a camera, a computer??? Where are the videos being stored
> I might try a video of the KING also...

Chickenlegs
08-06-2011, 09:55 AM
Oh you are absolutely in the right place! Enzo looked pretty comfy. When spring cleaning time comes it won't be nearly as neat and tidy in there wot with all the stored goodies and bits of stuff hauled up the tree to give home that "homey" look. Guess squirrels prefer their mattresses lumpy. No wonder the little guy was having a hard time gettin comfortable. WELCOME! :Welcome

MiriamS
08-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Had to go back and watch the vids again.
Thought it was a gray.:shakehead
Nope, that's an Enzo for sure.:rotfl
Those ears and white tummy are pure JEFFREY!

SammysMom
08-06-2011, 12:53 PM
Oh my goodness that is quite a squirrelly palace!!! He looks so cute with his spinning around sort of acting like he will somehow end up under the fleece strips by going around and around...:jump
It's funny that those marks are exactly where his back feet reach to scratch. Maybe he did it by scratching? Or got stuck somewhere that scraped some fur off? Whatever it is doesn't see to be bothering him except maybe a little itching.
Great job creating a wonderful home for this little guy!:Welcome

FireWood
08-06-2011, 09:55 PM
Firewood!!! Enzo moved himself in? Last I checked you weren't certain he was interested. I don't think you realize this but you have put everyone on TSB in Nirvana. All we have ever wanted to do (besides keep squirrels safe and healthy) is to see what goes on inside the nest!!! :jump I'm so excited we have a secret stealthy squirrel cam. :D

It is adorable to see him rolling around and rubbing the fleece. It does look to me like maybe he wants more stuff in there....like he's trying to burrow. But here's your (and our) dilemma because if you add a bunch of nesting material, we won't be able to see Enzo in there. :dono

This is just brilliant. Fantastic. Is there any way to set up a constant streaming webcam? This is so super cool, I'm beside myself with squirrel voyeurism glee. :wahoo

Hi Miriam!

Well, Enzo hasn't moved in yet, but he's certainly checked the place out, and I was lucky enough to be near my computer and record the event. I haven't caught him inside again, but *someone* seems to visit and re-arrange the fleece sometime between bedtime and when I get up in the morning. Seems like it happens every day too.... I think that's a good sign that when the weather gets cold, someone might decide to stay.

I've got to do some investigating and see if there is a way I can set up this cam like a security system and get some motion detection going or something. Not likely that I'll be able to do a live webcam, but I'll definitely post any footage I can get.

-Dan

FireWood
08-06-2011, 10:07 PM
FireWood
What does you cam wire connect to...a camera, a computer??? Where are the videos being stored
> I might try a video of the KING also...

Hi Stosh,
This is the cam I purchased:

http://www.birdhouseinfo.com/camera.html

I use one of these to connect it to my Macbook:
http://www.amazon.com/Geniatech-iGrabber-Grabber-Button-Recording/dp/B002LRMOPO

Once I threw out the instructions and read a few of the reviews for tips on getting it to work, it all became pretty easy.

With everything connected, you just start the "iGrabber Capture" software, and you can view a live video feed. When you want to record, you press the button on the USB device, and then press it again when you want to stop, just like a camcorder. Videos are saved to my harddrive and are easy to upload to photobucket.

I'm actually stunned at how well it all works for the price!:thumbsup

-Dan

Nancy in New York
08-06-2011, 10:08 PM
That nest castle is just amazing. Good thing I didn't have any little eyes peering over my shoulder looking at that....I would never hear the end of what I offer mine....:shakehead
Little Enzo, what can I say. He is adorable, precious, cute, and he looks so squeezeable....if you can catch him.
Keep posting, and I'm thrilled that you found us....I'm partial to little reds...:Love_Icon

stosh2010
08-06-2011, 10:24 PM
Hi Stosh,
This is the cam I purchased:

http://www.birdhouseinfo.com/camera.html

I use one of these to connect it to my Macbook:
http://www.amazon.com/Geniatech-iGrabber-Grabber-Button-Recording/dp/B002LRMOPO

-Dan
WOW Great Prices... I wish they shipped to Costa Rica... I like the adaptor for the PC... I could ship it to a friend in Florida who travels here occasionally

FireWood
08-06-2011, 10:24 PM
That nest castle is just amazing. Good thing I didn't have any little eyes peering over my shoulder looking at that....I would never hear the end of what I offer mine....:shakehead
Little Enzo, what can I say. He is adorable, precious, cute, and he looks so squeezeable....if you can catch him.
Keep posting, and I'm thrilled that you found us....I'm partial to little reds...:Love_Icon

Ha! I think you set the bar pretty high for taking care of a Red. I'm still reading your thread, and the Meemor thread, and pausing to show my wife cute pictures and videos!

Little Enzo is burrowing his way deeper into my life. This evening, Enzo was waiting for me in my (his?) crabapple tree. The bird feeder was nearly empty, and he not only gave me that expectant look, he hopped over to the branch closest to me and the ground and greedily gobbled nut after nut out of my outstretched palm!

I had to go back inside to get another handful - and he emptied that too, then took even more when I discovered I had few left in my pocket.

So there we are - our eyes at the same level, and him literally putting one paw into my hand to reach the choicest morsels, then looking right at me as he chewed and chewed and chewed. I was *so* wishing I had a camera with me!

Is it common for a wild Red to be so approachable? I thought they had a reputation for being more standoffish?
-Dan

Skul
08-07-2011, 07:14 AM
For some good ideas as to your questions, try to visit and read through some of this...
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22885
I'm sure you'll get a kick out of the TSB members name.:rotfl

CritterMom
08-07-2011, 07:27 AM
Ha! I think you set the bar pretty high for taking care of a Red. I'm still reading your thread, and the Meemor thread, and pausing to show my wife cute pictures and videos!

Little Enzo is burrowing his way deeper into my life. This evening, Enzo was waiting for me in my (his?) crabapple tree. The bird feeder was nearly empty, and he not only gave me that expectant look, he hopped over to the branch closest to me and the ground and greedily gobbled nut after nut out of my outstretched palm!

I had to go back inside to get another handful - and he emptied that too, then took even more when I discovered I had few left in my pocket.

So there we are - our eyes at the same level, and him literally putting one paw into my hand to reach the choicest morsels, then looking right at me as he chewed and chewed and chewed. I was *so* wishing I had a camera with me!

Is it common for a wild Red to be so approachable? I thought they had a reputation for being more standoffish?
-Dan

One of my little reds, a female named Fiona, is quite outgoing and will take food from me. The little male I see all the time, Michael, *a-l-m-o-s-t* will but he always chickens out at the last minute (but I leave them for him anyway).

FireWood
08-09-2011, 09:37 PM
For some good ideas as to your questions, try to visit and read through some of this...
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22885
I'm sure you'll get a kick out of the TSB members name.:rotfl

OK, officially Wow! I've been reading random FireWeed threads since you posted that. Amazing pictures, amazing stories....:thumbsup

Another pic of Enzo... stealing seed from the bird feeder. This particular feeder seems more suited to squirrels than birds. They can just sit in it and eat!:rotfl

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh116/dchiango/Yard%20and%20Garden/Enzo005.jpg

Close up... good view of his identifying marks... I think he might have been wounded, and the spot was itchy? Now he scratches the spot and has a long streak of a bald spot on his left arm.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh116/dchiango/Yard%20and%20Garden/Enzo004.jpg

stosh2010
08-10-2011, 09:41 AM
Beautiful Feeder..ENZO likes it ...fer sher

MiriamS
08-10-2011, 01:03 PM
Um, Enzo in that feeder is ADORABLE!

I'm pretty psyched that he's become so friendly to you. I see the beginnings of a beautiful friendship. :Pals

missPixy
08-10-2011, 01:39 PM
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh116/dchiango/Yard%20and%20Garden/Enzo005.jpg

squirrels seem to think food just tastes better when you steal it!

could there possibly be sound, not audible to human hearing range but audible to squirrel range, that Enzo might hear coming out of that camera? at one point he stands up and sorta "noses" the lens... just something about how he keeps tossing and turning, maybe looking for more fleece, yes, to get underneath? or could he be trying to get parasites off him? I'm always curious about when animals act in a way that seems not typical. he kept doing it the entire time otherwise if it were just a couple of quick rotations.... or maybe it's just his way of marking the fleece so, even if he isn't exactly moving in yet, he wants others to think it is his already? :dono

he's definitely a sweet-looking little guy!

FireWood
08-10-2011, 09:03 PM
squirrels seem to think food just tastes better when you steal it!

could there possibly be sound, not audible to human hearing range but audible to squirrel range, that Enzo might hear coming out of that camera? at one point he stands up and sorta "noses" the lens... just something about how he keeps tossing and turning, maybe looking for more fleece, yes, to get underneath? or could he be trying to get parasites off him? I'm always curious about when animals act in a way that seems not typical. he kept doing it the entire time otherwise if it were just a couple of quick rotations.... or maybe it's just his way of marking the fleece so, even if he isn't exactly moving in yet, he wants others to think it is his already? :dono

he's definitely a sweet-looking little guy!

It's possible that there is a sound that I don't know about, but I don't really know how I'd find out. If I turn off the power, I won't know if he's in there!

He could have been marking, but if so, it doesn't seem to be working. Tonight, I was sitting here surfing, and the cam software was running in the background. I heard an odd squeak, and I switched over and started recording in time to find this guy in the nest box!

I didn't even know that there were wild flyers in this area!

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh116/dchiango/Yard%20and%20Garden/th_WildFlyer.jpg (http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh116/dchiango/Yard%20and%20Garden/?action=view&current=WildFlyer.mp4)

I had tossed a few walnuts in the nest box hoping that Enzo would make a visit, but this guy dropped in first!:rotfl

He must have gotten the first few walnuts before I even realized he was there:dono As you can see in the video, he's in and out a few times looking for more goodies.

Hey Enzo! You better stake your claim, or your gonna lose your spot!:poke

missPixy
08-11-2011, 11:25 AM
lol see? stealing! it tastes better! :D look at him/ her snooping around! at one point in the beginning it looked like s/he even made off with a strip of fleece!

Skul
08-11-2011, 01:45 PM
A little girl, too. :rofl4

FireWood
08-11-2011, 08:17 PM
A little girl, too. :rofl4

How can you tell? Did you see something I didn't?

Dude or Dudette, the little stinker is munching on something in the nest box right now. I got another clip of him/her finding a walnut, then he/she goes to another part of the box to chew on.... something:thinking

MiriamS
08-12-2011, 12:44 AM
:wahoo :wahoo You've got a flyer cam! :wahoo :wahoo

Skul did you see that molting pattern with totally symmetrical stripes? Fascinating.

You rock Firewood. FYI - it's what you can't see that tells you it's a little girl. No fursicles! But she did leave a couple of tiny flyer :poop :poop :poop

Please keep taping. I'm in nirvana. :hyper

Skul
08-12-2011, 12:53 AM
How can you tell? Did you see something I didn't?

Dude or Dudette, the little stinker is munching on something in the nest box right now. I got another clip of him/her finding a walnut, then he/she goes to another part of the box to chew on.... something:thinking
It's what I DIDN'T see.:rotfl

Skul did you see that molting pattern with totally symmetrical stripes? Fascinating.

Yes I did. :D

FireWood
08-12-2011, 11:37 AM
:wahoo :wahoo You've got a flyer cam! :wahoo :wahoo

You rock Firewood. FYI - it's what you can't see that tells you it's a little girl. No fursicles! But she did leave a couple of tiny flyer :poop :poop :poop

Please keep taping. I'm in nirvana. :hyper

Haha. You two are too funny. You must have quicker eyes than I. I didn't even get a glimpse of "the where" let alone the "the what/not" :rotfl

Skul! I've been reading your Darla and Spanky thread. What a pair! I'm learning so much on this forum!

OK, here's another vid (actually a series I spliced together from last night)

Now that YOU two are sure of her gender, I'm going to have to come up with a name!
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh116/dchiango/Yard%20and%20Garden/th_Flyer8-11-2011large.jpg (http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh116/dchiango/Yard%20and%20Garden/?action=view&current=Flyer8-11-2011large.mp4)

She definitely likes walnuts. I tossed a few into the view of the camera before heading out to dinner last night. I was hoping for a show when I got home, and sure enough the little flyer was already in the box and munching when I got home.

What do you think the chances are that she will decide to move in?

Skul
08-12-2011, 08:08 PM
Chances of a move-in are pretty good.
There's also a chance you might get to see some babies, raised.:)

MiriamS
08-13-2011, 12:42 AM
:rotfl She was mooning Skul the whole time :rotfl

Interestingly, I am 99% certain it's a different lady flyer than the last sequence. This little girl wasn't molting and didn't have the stripes like the last one. While I would have been tickled to see a red move in, it will be superior winter entertainment if the Fortress becomes home to a flyer colony.

FireWood
08-13-2011, 08:30 PM
:rotfl She was mooning Skul the whole time :rotfl

Interestingly, I am 99% certain it's a different lady flyer than the last sequence. This little girl wasn't molting and didn't have the stripes like the last one. While I would have been tickled to see a red move in, it will be superior winter entertainment if the Fortress becomes home to a flyer colony.

You're right! I looked at the videos again, and there are definitely two different ladies visiting.

I've been watching again tonight, and I saw the Striped lady in between visits from the Smooth lady. Definitely two different critters! I'm pretty sure I even saw a third too!. No stripes, the coat is a little less smooth, and overall a good bit smaller than either of the other two.

I'll splice some clips together and upload them. Let me know what you think.

I was really hoping for a Red to take up residence, but that was before I even knew that there were wild flyers in my trees! I'm not going to be picky - if either decides to move in, I'll be happy!

I haven't seen Enzo since Wednesday though. I haven't seen any other Red all week, and very few squirrels in general. I'm not sure what is going on. :thinking

Skul
08-13-2011, 09:21 PM
You're right! I looked at the videos again, and there are definitely two different ladies visiting.

I've been watching again tonight, and I saw the Striped lady in between visits from the Smooth lady. Definitely two different critters! I'm pretty sure I even saw a third too!. No stripes, the coat is a little less smooth, and overall a good bit smaller than either of the other two.

I'll splice some clips together and upload them. Let me know what you think.

I was really hoping for a Red to take up residence, but that was before I even knew that there were wild flyers in my trees! I'm not going to be picky - if either decides to move in, I'll be happy!

I haven't seen Enzo since Wednesday though. I haven't seen any other Red all week, and very few squirrels in general. I'm not sure what is going on. :thinking
Flyers are cool.
They really tend to sneak up on folks.
Nobody thinks about those little love bugs, till they see them.
I'll never forget my first encounter with them....
then I had one. Little soft bundles of love.

We have five right now.

FireWood
08-13-2011, 09:57 PM
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh116/dchiango/Yard%20and%20Garden/th_Flyers8-13-11.jpg (http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh116/dchiango/Yard%20and%20Garden/?action=view&current=Flyers8-13-11.mp4)

Tonights episode:thumbsup

First the smooth lady grabbed a walnut, but I wasn't quick enough on the record button, and missed it. They really seem to like walnuts!

Then a few minutes later the striped one came in to look for treats. After that the smooth one came back, then again later. What I thought before might have been a third, I'm no longer sure of. :dono

Good stuff anyway.

What else do flyers like to eat? anything I could toss in the nest box that they'd have to eat inside it?

FireWood
08-13-2011, 10:02 PM
Flyers are cool.
They really tend to sneak up on folks.
Nobody thinks about those little love bugs, till they see them.
I'll never forget my first encounter with them....
then I had one. Little soft bundles of love.

We have five right now.

That I can understand... they are so amazing.

I'm reading your Darla and Spanky thread now... I'm still over a year and a half behind though.:D

Skul
08-14-2011, 12:17 AM
It's very easy to go overboard.
Take some time.
Worst thing in the world is to go nuts, then learn otherwise,
Go slow, and work up if you can.
That's better for the little ones.

If you're checking on my kids, Darla is in jail, So, is Abby.
I have no idea were Piglet is at.
Same with Bucky.
Spanky is in the box.

MiriamS
08-14-2011, 10:59 AM
Wow, Firewood, I do believe you have three flying squirrels visiting! It's interesting that they all went to the same spot for food. Do you bury the nuts in that one spot? The alternative is that one of the flyers is building a cache and the others are raiding it. I think my favorite part in the video was hearing the scuffle. I don't hear those squeaks very often but it was one saying to the other "Get out of here, this is my territory."

Did the branch show up by itself? If you're hoping for someone to take up residence, the branch may not be appreciated. To answer your question, they like ALL nuts. Walnuts have very hard shells and are the hardest for them to open. Peanuts are high in fat so should be given sparingly but you can also offer pecans, hazelnuts, almonds, cashews, squash/pumpkin seeds, basic bird seed mix. Like Skul said, you don't want them to become dependent on what you're feeding them but there's nothing cuter than seeing a flying squirrel with a cashew in her mouth. If you can't find these items in the store, I recommend nutsonline.com and of course they LOVE acorns, which you can get at acorno.com

The Fortress of Solitude has four boxes right? Is only one wired? It would be really great if a mix of reds and flyers took up residence. :D

FireWood
08-15-2011, 08:23 PM
Wow, Firewood, I do believe you have three flying squirrels visiting! It's interesting that they all went to the same spot for food. Do you bury the nuts in that one spot? The alternative is that one of the flyers is building a cache and the others are raiding it. I think my favorite part in the video was hearing the scuffle. I don't hear those squeaks very often but it was one saying to the other "Get out of here, this is my territory."

Did the branch show up by itself? If you're hoping for someone to take up residence, the branch may not be appreciated. To answer your question, they like ALL nuts. Walnuts have very hard shells and are the hardest for them to open. Peanuts are high in fat so should be given sparingly but you can also offer pecans, hazelnuts, almonds, cashews, squash/pumpkin seeds, basic bird seed mix. Like Skul said, you don't want them to become dependent on what you're feeding them but there's nothing cuter than seeing a flying squirrel with a cashew in her mouth. If you can't find these items in the store, I recommend nutsonline.com and of course they LOVE acorns, which you can get at acorno.com

The Fortress of Solitude has four boxes right? Is only one wired? It would be really great if a mix of reds and flyers took up residence. :D

I've been periodically climbing up the tree that the Fortress is hung in and tossing a few treats into the upper box. That is the only one that has the camera in it. I added the stick too, though it wasn't completely in the box. I just needed some kind of spatial reference so I could better visualize which entrance the critters were using and how big they were.

I had previously filled two of the other boxes with walnuts and peanuts, but I think the flyers got them. ALL the walnuts, and most of the peanuts. The flyers seem to have a very NEAT way of opening the walnuts, but they don't seem to be quite as interested in the peanuts.

We've getting a stretch of wind and wet right now, but when things dry up, I'll climb up into the tree again and neaten things up and remove the stick.

acorns will be easy... My parents live about 20 minutes away, and they have to clean up barrel loads of acorns and pinecones off of their lawn. I'm sure they'll gladly let me come and take all that I can rake:rotfl

Speaking of pinecones... I saw Enzo yesterday. He was at the feeder early, and I got to feed him before I even got my own cup of coffee!

He was fine... no word on where he'd been,:rotfl but he was hungry. I can't believe how much such a little guy can eat in one setting!

MiriamS
08-15-2011, 10:07 PM
He was fine... no word on where he'd been,:rotfl
Isn't it rude and inconsiderate of them? Disappear for days on end leaving you to fret and worry. And it's like a conspiracy. All of the boy squirrels do it!

Yes, the flyers gnaw tiny holes at the top of the walnut right and then slowly scoop away at the nut meat inside? That's what they do with pecans and filberts. We all continually marvel at it.

missPixy
08-16-2011, 11:15 AM
as far as the nut preferences go, my Emma, a flyer, absolutely LOVES copper beechnuts (but closed, not so much if they've opened). I did an online search and read that these type of nuts are an "important food source for rodents." anyway, apart from pecans, copper beechnuts are the only nut Emma will consistently go crazy for... sometimes she can be "meh" about almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts.

has anybody else tried copper beechnuts with their flyers? Skul? Miriam?

Skul
08-16-2011, 06:54 PM
as far as the nut preferences go, my Emma, a flyer, absolutely LOVES copper beechnuts (but closed, not so much if they've opened). I did an online search and read that these type of nuts are an "important food source for rodents." anyway, apart from pecans, copper beechnuts are the only nut Emma will consistently go crazy for... sometimes she can be "meh" about almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts.

has anybody else tried copper beechnuts with their flyers? Skul? Miriam?
Nah, we prefer the softer metal beechnuts.

What? :innocent

CritterMom
08-16-2011, 07:03 PM
I have a beech woods behind my house - mine are wild so they have green leaves, not the coppery hybrid/ I have a banner year for nuts BUT! The ^%$## things are all on the TOP branches and these are huge trees. I have taken several insane risks involving the top of a ladder, a slope, a rake and tiptoes better not told :shakehead trying to harvest. P does like them and prefers them before they open.

They look like tiny, prickly greenish chestnuts.

missPixy
08-17-2011, 10:24 AM
I have a beech woods behind my house - mine are wild so they have green leaves, not the coppery hybrid/ I have a banner year for nuts BUT! The ^%$## things are all on the TOP branches and these are huge trees. I have taken several insane risks involving the top of a ladder, a slope, a rake and tiptoes better not told :shakehead trying to harvest. P does like them and prefers them before they open.

They look like tiny, prickly greenish chestnuts.

oh that's rough, needing a ladder! for some reason in my area there are tons of copper beech, not so many of the regular beech... and the nuts on a copper beech are evenly distributed so are within my reach (I'm 5'4" so that's saying alot!)

FireWood
08-17-2011, 08:58 PM
oh that's rough, needing a ladder! for some reason in my area there are tons of copper beech, not so many of the regular beech... and the nuts on a copper beech are evenly distributed so are within my reach (I'm 5'4" so that's saying alot!)

Hi all. I have a couple of clips from last night that I have to splice and post. Those little ladies like their walnuts.:thumbsup

No new ones tonight though. The flyers came early, and the walnuts were gone before I even plugged in the cam at 8:10. I *have* been hearing somebody skritching and chewing ever since though. Either they are really enjoying those walnuts, or they are doing some DIY of the nest box.:dono

I've notice that a lot of you flyer-folk give your little ones cotton balls. Is that a good idea in an outdoor environment, or will they soak up water? Maybe I should look for some synthetic stuffing, or just more heavy fleece?

Skull - what's your camera setup for capturing the wild flyers? I'd like to try and get a few stills of them outside the box. I have a similar rig with 40D, a few good lenses including a 100-400L and a 420EX flash. Flash photos are not my strong point though. 99.9% of my photos are without the flash though.

I took this in Stosh's neck of the woods... Sure ain't Enzo!

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh116/dchiango/Costa%20Rica/IMG_4325-DFR-1.jpg

MiriamS
08-17-2011, 09:35 PM
Nah, we prefer the softer metal beechnuts.
:rofl4

I've never come across beechnuts but based on Crittermom's description, I think they may actually grow around here. I'll have to investigate. missPixy, you should collect a bunch of your copper beechnuts and do a swap with someone that has something you don't. I have access to great hickory nuts in the fall.

So Firewood, the fact you hear but don't see the scritching means they are using one of the other boxes right? I have read around TSB that fiber-fil/poly-fil is better for outside squirrels because it stays dry but some people say it's dangerous because flyer feet can get tangled in the synthetic stuff. So I'm baffled. As opposed to batted.

Great howler monkey pic! :thumbsup

Skul
08-18-2011, 04:25 PM
>snip<
Skull - what's your camera setup for capturing the wild flyers? I'd like to try and get a few stills of them outside the box. I have a similar rig with 40D, a few good lenses including a 100-400L and a 420EX flash. Flash photos are not my strong point though. 99.9% of my photos are without the flash though.
>snip<

40D and a 100-400L and 430EX flash. :rotfl
A year ago, I moved up to the 5D Mk II.
Also using the 70-200L f/2.8, and 24-105L f/4.
A lot is hit and miss. If you have fair night-time lite, auto focus may work.
If not, you will need to go manual and set Av and Tv yourself, then prefocus on a spot.
A tripod is almost a requirement. A remote release helps a lot.
I use an RF (radio) type remote.
That way, I can preset everything, and back off quite a distance.

With the 40D and the 100-400L, you can set the lens around the 250-300 range (remember, you have a 1.6 crop factor), Av about f/7 and Tv about 1/250.
ISO 800.
Set up about 15 feet from feeding station.
Flash will punch as hard as it needs.

Shoot RAW plus JPG, if possible.

You'll have 20 misses for every success.:poke Dat's the truth.

stosh2010
08-18-2011, 04:39 PM
I took this in
Stosh's neck of the woods... Sure ain't Enzo!

That's an Impressive Lookin' MONO....

MiriamS
08-18-2011, 05:44 PM
Stosh! :rofl4

FireWood
08-19-2011, 07:14 PM
40D and a 100-400L and 430EX flash. :rotfl
A year ago, I moved up to the 5D Mk II.
Also using the 70-200L f/2.8, and 24-105L f/4.
A lot is hit and miss. If you have fair night-time lite, auto focus may work.
If not, you will need to go manual and set Av and Tv yourself, then prefocus on a spot.
A tripod is almost a requirement. A remote release helps a lot.
I use an RF (radio) type remote.
That way, I can preset everything, and back off quite a distance.

With the 40D and the 100-400L, you can set the lens around the 250-300 range (remember, you have a 1.6 crop factor), Av about f/7 and Tv about 1/250.
ISO 800.
Set up about 15 feet from feeding station.
Flash will punch as hard as it needs.

Shoot RAW plus JPG, if possible.

You'll have 20 misses for every success.:poke Dat's the truth.

Great info! thanks. I have everything except the remote release, but I've been looking for an excuse to get one!:rotfl

I stood under the nest box last night, and was able to catch a few glimpses of the flyer entering and leaving. Just a tiny fast moving shadow, but still pretty cool. :thumbsup

FireWood
08-19-2011, 07:27 PM
Stosh! That's great!:rotfl

I took that pic on the Nicoya peninsula in 2009. There was this howler family chilling in the trees just outside our bedroom window at the B&B we stayed at. They liked the mango trees!

Miriam... OK. ixnay on the polyfill... I think I'll try and pick up some thick fleece... And yes, if I can see them but not hear them, they're somewhere in or on the fortress, but not in the top-box. Really wish I had a multi-channel wireless setup!

Since this is supposed to be Enzo's thread, here's a few more pics of the little red racer. He came by last night for dinner, and my wife grabbed her camera while I was playing waiter.

He's pretty quick, but she was able to get a few pics with her P/S that weren't blurry.

Feeding time:
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh116/dchiango/Yard%20and%20Garden/Enzo003-1.jpg

Munch Munch Munch
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh116/dchiango/Yard%20and%20Garden/Enzo005-1.jpg

OK... maybe just one more...
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh116/dchiango/Yard%20and%20Garden/Enzo004-1.jpg

Little dude sure can pack away the walnuts. I think he came back to my hand at least 8 times!

island rehabber
08-19-2011, 07:56 PM
WOW, what a gorgeous little squirrel!! Great pix, too :)

FireWood
08-19-2011, 08:08 PM
Flyer vid from the other night. Finally had time to upload and post.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh116/dchiango/Yard%20and%20Garden/th_Flyers8-15-11.jpg (http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh116/dchiango/Yard%20and%20Garden/?action=view&current=Flyers8-15-11.mp4)

Nancy in New York
08-19-2011, 08:11 PM
I agree, fantastic pictures.
What a handsome little guy Enzo is, love that little tongue shot. Reds just steal my heart. I'm glad Enzo has such a loving family to watch out for him.:grouphug

Pierre
08-19-2011, 08:20 PM
Sweetie little Enzo. He is adorable. How lovely he trusts you so much.

MiriamS
08-20-2011, 05:01 PM
:bowdown Firewood and your wife. Wonderful photos of Enzo. He is gorgeous and that one pic with his mouth open is precious.

The flyer with the walnut must have been thinking, "Arggg :madd dis nut ees just a little too beeg and da shell is berry hard but I still gnaw and take it wit me."

FireWood
08-20-2011, 08:19 PM
Sweetie little Enzo. He is adorable. How lovely he trusts you so much.

I'm really still pretty amazed at how he'll come to me. He is sooo... skittish. He'll bolt at the sound of a passing car, or even a chipmunk moving in the bushes...

But he comes to me, and will sit and eat just inches from my hand.

Maybe he just thinks I'm too slow to be a threat!:rotfl

Today I took another step in our little trust game. After he came to me and took a piece of walnut from my hand, it occurred to me to see if I could get him to come even closer.

I stepped closer to the lowest branch, and set a big tempting hunk of walnut on my shoulder, and kept the rest of the handful of walnuts in sight, but out of reach.

This solved several problems... first I wanted him to come closer, but I was also getting cramps from trying to stand motionless with my arms up in the air! And I'm sure my neighbors think I"m crazy. Just standing under the tree is so more *casual*!:thumbsup

And he came!. Very cautiously, with lots of peeping, footstomping, and sudden changes in direction, but he came. I think he was afraid of being that close to my face. or teeth maybe?

( I have to admit that I was a little nervous when he leaped over my head onto another branch and he was above and behind me with those little teeth!)

After grabbing the nut off my shoulder, he ran off a bit, but he came back - again and again! And pretty soon he didn't run away, he just sat next to my shoulder and ate. And when I moved just a little bit away from the branch, he reached out and put both front paws on my shoulder so he could reach the walnut!::alright.gif

Gotta admit that I melted a little bit when I felt his weight on me. very cool!

But he won't quite let *me* touch *him*:nono

Yet!

:D

SquirrelsinSingapore
08-21-2011, 02:51 AM
, but I was also getting cramps from trying to stand motionless with my arms up in the air! And I'm sure my neighbors think I"m crazy. Just standing under the tree is so more *casual*!:thumbsup

And he came!. Very cautiously, with lots of peeping, footstomping, and sudden changes in direction, but he came. I think he was afraid of being that close to my face. or teeth maybe?

( I have to admit that I was a little nervous when he leaped over my head onto another branch and he was above and behind me with those little teeth!)

After grabbing the nut off my shoulder, he ran off a bit, but he came back - again and again! And pretty soon he didn't run away, he just sat next to my shoulder and ate. And when I moved just a little bit away from the branch, he reached out and put both front paws on my shoulder so he could reach the walnut!::alright.gif

Gotta admit that I melted a little bit when I felt his weight on me. very cool!

I can totally understand that part,
:poke they tease turn and test :Squirrel
OH they stood on your shoulders?
OHH THATS VERY COOL
AWESOME!

Skul
08-23-2011, 10:31 AM
Reds seem to have a very cautious curiosity.
Kind of what makes them so cute.

FireWood
08-23-2011, 10:11 PM
My little buddy came by again this evening. He doesn't show up every day, but when he does it's usually between 6 and 7 pm.

He'll raid the feeder, or take food from me, then when his belly is full, he dashes up the crabapple tree, and zips across the street via the telephone wires... Then he dashes into one of trees in my neighbors yard. I think he might be living across the street and a couple of houses down.:dono

Anyway, tonight while I was working on a piece of furniture in my shop, I popped my head out of the garage to check the feeder as I've become accustomed to doing every few minutes during the "dinner hour". Sure enough, he was in the feeder and munching away on sunflower seeds.

I grabbed a handful of walnuts out of my toolbox, (yeah, I now keep walnuts in my prized Snap-On toolchest. Sheesh!:shakehead ) and headed out to meet him. After a few moments of peeping and footstomping, he came right to my hand... then my shoulder, then my hand again.:alright.gif

While he was occupied with a large chunk of walnut, I went in and grabbed the video camera.

The first vid in the sequence is a bit long , unless you are *really* into watching a squirrel chew.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh116/dchiango/Yard%20and%20Garden/th_Enzo8-23-11long.jpg (http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh116/dchiango/Yard%20and%20Garden/?action=view&current=Enzo8-23-11long.mp4)

The second two vids are a bit more watchable for normal folk (says my wife :rotfl )

#2:
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh116/dchiango/Yard%20and%20Garden/th_Enzo8-23-11part2.jpg (http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh116/dchiango/Yard%20and%20Garden/?action=view&current=Enzo8-23-11part2.mp4)

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh116/dchiango/Yard%20and%20Garden/th_Enzo8-23-11part3.jpg (http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh116/dchiango/Yard%20and%20Garden/?action=view&current=Enzo8-23-11part3.mp4)

I really like this little guy!

Considering how many walnuts this little eating machine can put away in a few minutes, I'm starting to wonder if I need to be concerned about his calcium intake.

Any thoughts on calcium supplements for a wild? especially how to get them to take them?

-Dan

astra
08-24-2011, 08:08 AM
almost missed little Enzo!:Love_Icon :)
Trust from reds is so special because of their natural disposition.
And I thoroughly enjoyed watching "squirrel chew":D :thumbsup :Love_Icon

Skul
08-24-2011, 08:17 AM
I swear in the last vid, that Enzo belched right at the beginning.
Trying to ID the tree he was on.
Can't get a clear enough view.

SquirrelsinSingapore
08-24-2011, 02:33 PM
oHhh thats a nice video! :thumbsup :thumbsup
I love how their ears can be so pointy
kinda like elves and fairy land kinda thing haha

FireWood
08-24-2011, 04:53 PM
I swear in the last vid, that Enzo belched right at the beginning.
Trying to ID the tree he was on.
Can't get a clear enough view.

That's a crabapple. Same tree that the circular orange feeder is hanging from.

And I think that little burp-wriggle was Enzo's way of telling me that he'd like a beer to go with the nuts! "Dinner's good, but where's my drink?" :D

too funny. :D

FireWood
08-24-2011, 07:14 PM
Tonight I challenged him a little more. I put a really large piece of walnut on my shoulder, and my elbow just under the branch in the vids above.

He had to run up my upper arm to get to my shoulder - and he did!:alright.gif

A wild squirrel - sitting on my shoulder!:wahoo

:wott

:thumbsup

Gotta get that on cam next time!

SquirrelsinSingapore
08-27-2011, 05:54 PM
The video is really good by the way..

:thumbsup

MiriamS
08-27-2011, 08:55 PM
burp-wriggle
Perfect way to describe it. :thumbsup I could watch Enzo forever. I love how the tip of his tail is constantly flickering. And his ears and nose and cute giant feet.

The video quality is superb. Mine doesn't autofocus if you zoom. Jealous. Also adore the periwinkle chairs. :bowdown

He is putting away a lot of walnuts isn't he? I think I remember hearing that pecans have a better balance of nutrients. Or less fat. Something like that. You can always buy a bunch of acorns and whack 'em into little pieces for Enzo to eat from your paw.

FireWood
09-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Couple more vids to post. First one shows how eagerly Enzo comes to me when he sees the handful of walnuts.:multi

Then, even though he's a bit more tentative with the camera around, I got him to run onto my shoulder again - twice! :alright.gif

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh116/dchiango/Yard%20and%20Garden/th_Enzo9-1-11part1.jpg (http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh116/dchiango/Yard%20and%20Garden/?action=view&current=Enzo9-1-11part1.mp4)

Then chewing... lots of chewing. I tried for a belly rub, but that was a no go - at least with the camera around. When I spook him, he doesn't run far - he heads for the feeder!

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh116/dchiango/Yard%20and%20Garden/th_Enzo9-1-11part2.jpg (http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh116/dchiango/Yard%20and%20Garden/?action=view&current=Enzo9-1-11part2.mp4)

Forgive some of he camera work - still getting used to it, and I think the stabilization software on my computer makes some of the crops tighter than they seemed while filming.

FireWood
09-04-2011, 07:38 PM
Another friend, another vid:

"Is that a chipmunk in your pocket or are you just happy to see me":rotfl

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh116/dchiango/Yard%20and%20Garden/th_PeanutPocket9-4-11.jpg (http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh116/dchiango/Yard%20and%20Garden/?action=view&current=PeanutPocket9-4-11.mp4)

Since I've been spending so much time by the front steps with food in my hands, it seems only natural, that another furry critter would adopt me. I haven't named this one, mostly 'cause I hadn't previously got a look at the plumbing.:osnap

I think this one's a girl? :thinking

Oh yeah... Enzo pooped on me today! I got him to run along my arm and eat from my other hand. After a most of a handful of walnuts, he apparently needed to make room for the rest! :poop:

Gotta admit - whenever I read a thread where someone was excited about poop... I didn't really get it. :dono

Now... I think I do. Squirrel poop isn't so bad really, and have a squirrel buddy that is comfortable enough to :poop ON you, is really pretty cool. :)

CritterMom
09-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Wow. I have seen folks owned by squirrels before, but you, my friend, have it BAD!

astra
09-04-2011, 09:16 PM
OMy, this little chippie lets you stoke him/her? and feels safe to raid inside your pocket!!!:crazy

Nancy in New York
09-04-2011, 09:53 PM
Amazing is all I can say. I love your little buddies. They are so comfortable with you, it's really endearing.
Enzo, you have my heart....what a face on you.
Little Chippie, don't be that trusting with strangers...you picked a good one this time, so we know you are at least smart.:Love_Icon :Love_Icon

sleeping koala
09-05-2011, 04:28 AM
Glad that Enzo survived Irene and you have a new visitor to see you ! :)
Keep posting the great vids !

Rhapsody
09-05-2011, 04:35 AM
Little Enzo is sooooooooooooooooo Freaking CUTE!! - :D

Skul
09-05-2011, 08:15 PM
Little Enzo is sooooooooooooooooo Freaking CUTE!! - :D
Got that right.
What a cute little monster.:)

MiriamS
09-05-2011, 10:06 PM
Firewood aka "Chipmunk Whisperer" welcome to the :poop club

In fact, the "Wild :poop Club" is most exclusive and you should be honored to be the first member!

Skul
09-05-2011, 10:56 PM

In fact, the "Wild :poop Club" is most exclusive and you should be honored to be the first member!
And, Fireweed, aka, chippy pottybox.
Don't forget her.:D

FireWood
09-06-2011, 09:14 PM

:rotfl
Wild Poop Club ! LOL!

FireWood
04-17-2012, 09:21 PM
OK... so its been a long time since my last update!

Fatherhood has thus far been an all-consuming experience! My daughter is now just over 7 months old, growing like a weed, and is the absolute center of our world. And as impossible as it may seem, she is every bit as cute as the tiniest baby red! I'll have to post a couple of pics of her too.

But I might, *possibly* be able to fit a little bit of squirrel time in too!

Unfortunately, I have not seen Enzo in many months. Actually not since mid September. I fear the worst, but all the other red squirrels disappeared about the same time, so I'm still holding out hope that he may come back.

Just the other day I noticed one familiar looking red return to the neighborhood. Probably because the Maples are starting to leaf out and seed, and there's lots of good stuff to munch on.

It wasn't long before I saw her scout out the Fortress, which had been visited by a few birds over the winter, but largely ignored.

Then today, I saw her go in and out of the Fortress several times, and at one point chase a grey squirrel out of the tree. I hooked up the IR cam, and lo-and-behold, she's moved in! The Fortress has an occupant!

She took a nap, then went outside, then came back in for another nap. After a bit, she spent some time halfway out of the box, with her eyes and nose carefully watching the neighborhood. That's when I began to suspect that this little lady whom sometime last year I had pegged as a "she" for reasons I can't explain... REALLY was a SHE!

And she's having babies! In the first few seconds of this clip, you can just make out a tiny pup moving around deep in the box before she moves back in and wraps the little one up.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh116/dchiango/Yard%20and%20Garden/th_Recording_0352.jpg (http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh116/dchiango/Yard%20and%20Garden/?action=view&current=Recording_0352.mp4)

So excited! The fortress is going to be home to a family!

Can anyone guess how old that little guy/girl is? I don't *think* that box has been occupied for more than a few days!

Hmmm... I wonder who "Daddy" is ? :thinking

Skul
04-18-2012, 07:00 AM
Ya, it's been a few days. :rotfl
Can't really make a guess as to age. Not quite enough detail to make much out.
Good to hear things are running smooth your way.