PDA

View Full Version : Contagious Illnesses

Marci
07-18-2011, 06:12 PM
One of my chippie friends needs some advice.

1. If a chipmunk lives in a aviary with other chipmunks and develops a respiratory infection, will the other chipmunks get it if the chipmunk is removed a day or two to another location after the illness is found?

2. After the chipmunk has finished its antibiotics, when can it be reintroduced back into the aviary? For example, when a human has a fever and then has a normal temperature, they should wait 24 hours before returning back to school or work.

3. If a chipmunk gets mites, will the other chipmunks get it if the chipmunk is removed a day or two to another location after the mites are found?

4. After the chipmunk has been treated and there is no evidence of mites on its body, when can they return to the aviary?

Thanks

Marci

UDoWhat
07-18-2011, 08:59 PM
One of my chippie friends needs some advice.

1. If a chipmunk lives in a aviary with other chipmunks and develops a respiratory infection, will the other chipmunks get it if the chipmunk is removed a day or two to another location after the illness is found?

2. After the chipmunk has finished its antibiotics, when can it be reintroduced back into the aviary? For example, when a human has a fever and then has a normal temperature, they should wait 24 hours before returning back to school or work.

3. If a chipmunk gets mites, will the other chipmunks get it if the chipmunk is removed a day or two to another location after the mites are found?

4. After the chipmunk has been treated and there is no evidence of mites on its body, when can they return to the aviary?

Thanks

Marci

Hi Marci, I'll try to answer as I think and is my experience.

1. Depends on what it is but I'm pretty sure there is an incubation period (usually 14-21 days)with many or most of the respiratory illness I know of in small rodents. Yes, the others most likely will already be exposed to the illness and can definitely come down with the respiratory infection.

2. After finishing a selected course of antibiotics, you should wait 3 days after all symptoms have disappeared.

3. Yes on the mites too. You (she) will need to treat all the chippies or you will be just passing it around from one to the other back and forth, nonstop. All bedding, items, floor, caging, etc. must be cleaned, washed and de-bugged.

4. After all bedding has been changed and area cleaned, the chippies can be put back together. First treat them for mites. All of them. They should be treated 2x , treat all one time then 2 weeks later treat all again. Each week or more often, however, change the bedding and clean cage. In 2 weeke she should be free of mites.

Hope this helps some. :wave123

Marty

Marci
07-18-2011, 09:34 PM
Marty - Thanks for the info.

How can you tell if it has mites or mange? What is the difference between mites and mange?

Can mites live without a host? Can mites be transferred from animal to human to animal? Can mites be transferred from one animal to another if they only touched for a few seconds?

I looked for stickys or FAQ regarding the buggy issue and could not find any.

I can relate more to the respiratory illness spreading than these microscopic creatures that humans usually don't have.

UDoWhat
07-18-2011, 10:24 PM
[QUOTE=Marci]Marty - Thanks for the info.

How can you tell if it has mites or mange? What is the difference between mites and mange?

Can mites live without a host? Can mites be transferred from animal to human to animal? Can mites be transferred from one animal to another if they only touched for a few seconds?

I looked for stickys or FAQ regarding the buggy issue and could not find any.

I can relate more to the respiratory illness spreading than these microscopic creatures that humans usually don't have.[/QUOTE

:wave123

Here's what I know about mites.

Mites cause mange. It is not a separate deal. Mites are small little bugs (Arachnids) There are three kinds of mites that we usually deal with. The one most often is Sarcoptic mange mites. About 95% of the time in wildlife. So safe to believe these are mange mites. These mites burrow under the skin and lay eggs and reproduce. The reproductive cycle is 14-21 days. So bedding should be changed frequently over that time. Mites can live in the area or environment for 3 weeks( Nasty little buggers). Systemic antibiotics may need to be given if there is scratching , in case of infection. These mites can be easily treated with Revolution safely. Revolution kills mange mites and lasts 4 weeks at killing them. You would only need to dose Revol. 1x because it protects 4 weeks. Very effective. Let me know if you need help or more info. BTW, mange mites can be passed to humans but... can not reproduce on humans. They can live about 3-4 weeks on humans.

Marty, (I'm itchy now.:rotfl )