PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel question

Simons
07-12-2011, 11:04 AM
I am new and know nothing about these furry lil friends but I keep seeing this lil squirrel eating out of the trash at my work for the past month or so.....His tail seems to be missing hair-kinda sad looking. Anyway-I would leave apple slices out there and pieces of my bagel and he would eat it. I have pics of him the past month eating stuff I left him but yesterday I went outside and he was laying on the sidewalk with his legs behind him-look like he was hurt. He could walk-I saw him walking around but then he would flop down and lay in the same position it his legs behind him/her. I dont know if something is wrong-i left water out for him yesterday because its 90* here and I thought maybe he was dehydrated. I have a pic that I took of his position but dont know how to attach it. I havent seen him today yet but if I do I didnt know if there is something I should do IF he is still laying all weird.....

island rehabber
07-12-2011, 11:34 AM
poor baby sounds very ill. If you can possibly catch him and put him in a strong cat carrier with some old t-shirts to burrow under, I know we have some wonderful New England rehabbers who may be able to help. In the meantime, providing him with fresh water and food is helpful, too -- if he is ill he doesn't have the strength to get into the trees and eat natural foods. :(

stepnstone
07-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Thank you for caring about this little one. Unfortunetly staying on the ground is not a good thing, it does sound like it could use some help.
Would you know of anyone that might have a live trap such as a havaheart that you could borrow? If you could trap or catch it there are members on TSB that could get it the help it needs.

SquirrelsinSingapore
07-12-2011, 12:05 PM
Hello Simons,

To post picture, HIT 'post reply'

Under 'Additional Options' Click Manage Attachments

choose your files and HIT upload.....

Lastly still under that Additional Options Category submit reply

:Welcome to Squirrel Board
:)

CritterMom
07-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Hey guys - I answered in the other thread - might this guy have been pancaking on the ground to stay cool? I bet I have 25 of them doing it in the dirt under my deck at home right now...

Simons
07-12-2011, 01:03 PM
I will keep looking around for him today and if I see him I will do my best to get him. I cant put a have a heart trap out because my work will pitch a fit. Either way I will keep looking for him and if I get him I will let you all know. I just didnt know if his behavior was a normal thing for squirrels. Poor boy :-(

MomOf2squirrels
07-12-2011, 01:12 PM
Sometimes my indoor Squirrel Galileo lays on the ground like that. It is usually when she is tired. She trusts me too and feels comfortable splatting. I call that position splatting. He may be okay. I have also seen squirrels act this way after mating or playing with other squirrels outside. If he comes around you and trusts you see if he will take food or leave it in a place he is comfortable getting at it. I don't know about MA but here in Chicago yesterday it was hot and humid I can't imagine anyone feeling like doing much in that weather.